Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Question to the audience

2»

Answers

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Lots of money for only 3db increase in signal.  KPA500 works really well via DDUtil.  Like it was one integrated system.  You should wait, because of the cost factor.  i own a KPA500 and the KAT500 tuner.  I would need a substantial improvement in power and operation before I would change something that works so well.  Elecraft did a wonderful job designing the KPA500 and I would expect that the Power Genius Amp will be at a level that would make it worth the money to change.  

Pat,  WH6HI
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'm doing something like that now...My router is in the other end of the house - about 45 ft. run of Cat 6 away from the ham shack.  I ran a single CAT6 and have a TP-link 5-port gigaswitch in the shack and connect my 6500 and computer to it. Everything works well.

Later I plan to connect other peripherals like my Raspberry Pi, etc. and if I can ever afford a PGenius Amp....unless I remote it closer to the tower......
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'm doing something like that now...My router is in the other end of the house - about 45 ft. run of Cat 6 away from the ham shack.  I ran a single CAT6 and have a TP-link 5-port gigaswitch in the shack and connect my 6500 and computer to it. Everything works well.

Later I plan to connect other peripherals like my Raspberry Pi, etc. and if I can ever afford a PGenius Amp....unless I remote it closer to the tower......
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That's what I'd like to know. Is the power genius xl going to have a built in tuner???
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    NO
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Like Elecraft, Flex needs to think about also adding a compatible tuner, even if it is a separate box.  Integration is key.....
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I agree Pat. I know it's all speculation at this point, so we don't know what the price is yet, but I'll bet it will carry a very hefty price tag. That being said, the addition of a top branded legal limit auto tuner, should you need one, will be another couple grand. I guess the Expert amplifiers would be a good alternative, but I'll stick with my 8877 amp until it smokes. LOL.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

George

I have an Expert 2K-FA with my SteppIR

You are correct in that you do not need an ATU - most of the time - with a SteppIR

I say most of the time.. because on some bands the SWR on the SteppIR can be higher than 1:1 and it you are a purist like me you want a perfect match all the time.

The 1.3K is really a 1KW Amp with little or no headroom to get to 1.5KW and the 2K is a 2K AMP with plenty of headroom to get to 2K - my will run key down at 2330W all day long.

The Power Genius uses 2 more modern 1.5KW transistors so it has HUGE headroom above 1.5KW.

it should also have much better IMD characteristics than the Experts..BUT no one has measured them yet.  

I also understand that the Power Genius will have circuitry to enable Adaptive Predistortion to greatly improve IMD products.

My 2K-FA has 4 Antenna Ports.. Very Useful ( SteppIR, Dummy Load, 160M, Multi-band Dipole for Diversity) whereas the Power Genius would require me to get an external antenna Switch

Perhaps the best thing about the Power Genius will be the fact that it is totally Ethernet controlled rather than the old style Serial Controls / USB controls....

if anything, this may be my main reason for switch to the Power Genius.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I don't allow smoking in my shack!  lol.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Two is one, one is none. Buy both.

If budget doesn't allow both, pick up the ready to go SPE 1.3K and revisit gear selection after the Genius has been out for a while.

If value and overall expense is important consider a used SPE 1K, as they are very good value.

On the SPE if you think you might ever upgrade it might be wise to purchase with the internal ATU for resale purposes as well as additional utility.

(I have an Alpha 9500 at each QTH with an Alpha 78 and an SPE 1K backup. My intention is to bring a Genius into each QTH when available. YMMV of course!)

Steve K9ZW
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Pat

I'm happy with my KPA500 and KAT500 tuner.... I'm just looking to have more drive power when I'm chasing Dx....I'm not much in contests....but....you never know....maybe after finish to fix all at shack.... I will be back on contest...
    Thanks

George
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hey Howard

Thank you....You know I appreciate your comments
    many of you post had taught me so much, my friend

Howard....how many cables I will need to connect  an Expert 1.3 to my flex through PC in order to use DDutil

Thank you

George

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    hahahaha.....

I don't have money for it ....hahahahaha....
    and I have just one QTH

Greetings Steve!!

George 
  • K1DLM
    K1DLM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Two. The 1.3K has a USB port to connect to the PC to remotely control its functions and provide monitoring. The band data is typically sent over a separate serial connection.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ria I bet you could sell the 1.3K-FA and still make bank to put towards a Power Genius.
  • David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    George, lots of excellent responses for you here. I have the marvelous Flex 6500 with the incredible SteppIR IR DB-11, running with the Elecraft workhorse, the KPA500 and KAT500. It is a marvelous 500 watt amp. But, like many, I feel the need to deliver a little more punch. The SPE 1.3K with the tuner appears to meet everything I want without building capacity beyond legal limit. Several antenna ports (I run three: the DB-11 for 20M up, and two wire antennas for 40M and 80M), and the tuner, all in one neat, small, unit. My two cents.

David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The 1.3K-FA, despite its name, can exceed the legal limit if you're not careful. Some have seen as much as 1.8kW on calibrated watt meters and running from a 240v supply. However, you may pay a price with poorer IMD. 

Going from 500w to 1kw and up here has been marvelous. No more struggling with anything. Go for it if you can swing it.

Ria
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thank you David
    Would you buy it with ATU instead of you have a SteppIR?
    or would you save 1200$ ?

Greetings & 73's

George

• David Ahrendts
    David Ahrendts Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good question. Because of my lot size, the largest antenna I can accomodate is the DB-11 -- 20M and up. So for 40M I do have an MFJ rotatable dipole (sits above the DB-11) and I'm trying to come up with a wire antenna that works -- and both of those need the tuner. Using just the DB-11, I could make a case that the tuner is not needed. One just fine tunes the antenna instead.  
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good Point !!  Thank you David!!!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I would get te ATU anyway because you may decide later on to get an antenna that needs one, OR your SteppIR might have a failure and you can use the tuner temporarily as a workaround. But with the SteppIR make sure the ATU is bypassed because I think it has 0.7dB (or something like that) insertion loss. That is, unless it has a fault and you need to use the tuner as a workaround.
  • Mark - W6MSB
    Mark - W6MSB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ria is right. I took delivery of a 1.3K-FA one year ago without the ATU because I didn't think I'd ever need it with my DB-11. Well, guess what? We're moving, and in addition to getting a bigger SteppIR, I'm also putting up an 80/40 fan dipole and I'll definitely need a tuner for at least 80M. So, my 1.3K-FA is currently back with Bob who is putting in the ATU. And while you can always add the ATU later (like I am now), it would have been easier (and slightly cheaper) if I would have just bought the amp originally with the ATU. It never hurts to future proof on a decision like this.

I'm very happy with my 1.3K-FA and the way it works with my 6700. I'm using both cables and DDUTIL. No ALC. Works great. 

Mark
    W6MSB
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Recent changes. Just one word. KPA-1500.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Also recently announced, SPE Expert 1.5k!

I have the 1.3k and I can't tell much of a difference from 500w to 1000w or even 1500w (my 1.3k peaks at 1700w on 40M). I run my SPE on Low power most of the time.
    If you already have KPA500 and tuner I would stick with it.
    Even if the steppir tunes to the band it will not cover every band. Having tuning on 60, 80 and 160m is great as we tend to have antennas on those band with limited bandwidth.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Well, I love kPA500.....I know I would love KPA1500....if I have space in my shack and 220 volts ...sadly I don't.... About SPE 1.5K.....I like Black finish ....but....as well as Salvador noted I can't find diference between Low-Med-Hi ....I confess never use Hi....800 watts with 1000 peaks have been enough to break pileups Greetings!!! By the way Pat....I guess we have a couple of contacts on JT65.....need to check...i'm not really sure... 73's George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.