Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Question re line level balanced input

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
I want to use my existing dynamic mic and line level audio rack processing equipment (noise gate, limiter, downward expander, EQ) with my Flex 6600 [Yes, I am aware that the rig has most of these functions inside, but my equipment is there, and is fun].   To avoid hum and ground loops, I want to keep cabling fully balanced up to the back panel.    I notice that my new Flex 6600 has a 1/4 inch balanced input.

Question 1:   The hardware reference manual, on page 22, section 7.5, talks about the balanced 1/4 inch audio input.  It contradicts itself saying "it can be used as a mic level or line level input",
but then next in section 7.5.1 on the same page says "currently supports MIC level audio only".

[OK, I have XLR to TRS attenuators, so I can deal with that just fine, no worries.]
But, does the above contradiction in the manual imply that the hardware circuitry has switching,
that in the future can accept and attenuate live level, once firmware catches up?  Or is it simply
a mistake in the documentation, and only ever going to be a MIC level balanced input?
If that is the case, no worries, but you would want to fix the second sentence in section 7.5.

Question 2:     The AUX input on the 15-pin "D" connector does have a line level input (consumer line level -10 dB), but from the pin-out in the manual, this looks like un-balanced?  In other words, I only see line in and ground, not Line in +, line in -, and ground.   So if I wanted to use
balanced line level input on the 15-pin AUX connector, and keep it balanced, I would need my own adapter cable with a 600:600 ohm audio transformer close to the back panel to keep my longer cable truly balanced.  Is this correct?

Cheers,

Neal

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

I think you have this correct.

I'm running Balanced to the 1/4" TRS with a simple patch cable (sans attenuator) with good success.

Though I have lots of outboard equipment, I've trimmed it to running the Shure SM5B through a small Behringer EQ/Amp to the radio.

Steve K9ZW 

• Bob  KW4CQ
    Bob KW4CQ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Steve, just curious.  Are you doing your EQing and any other processing in the Behringer or in the Flex?  I am using a dbx 286s channel **** here (just the mic preamp section, a Sennheiser e835 dynamic mic, and the EQing in my Flex 6600M.  Seems to work AOK.  I have a Behringer DEQ 2496 Ultra Curve Pro left over from my former ESSB days I may press into service just for kicks.
    73, Bob
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited July 2019
    While Flex has not yet replied to the question above about the documentation,
    for those who want to make an XLR to 1/4 inch TRS adapter, for the MIC input
    on back of the Flex 6600, the following may be useful;

Adapter Wiring:
    https://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-jack-stereo.html

Attenuate Line Level audio gear to Flex 6600 MIC level balanced 1/4 inch TRS input:
    http://arrakis-systems.com/pdfs/Microphone%20Input%20to%20Line%20Level%20Adapter.pdf

All about the different audio line level voltage (Consumer vs. Pro):
    http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/mic-level-and-line-level-what-do-they-mean

Neal
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I’ve migrated to all in the software. The external runs straight. That way I can get basically the same audio in my station output when remote as well as in the shack with consistent profiles. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I find this to be the gold standard quick-ish reference for all things analog audio interfacing:

http://www.rane.com/note110.html
  • Brian
    Brian Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Neal, How did you connect your eq setup in the end ? just got the 6600 I want to connect all my Behringer eq on the balanced in. I can find any information on this still. Regards Brian
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    edited July 2019
    I ended up just using the second link in my previous post, because I was too impatient to order a 1:1 audio line transformer. Works fine if you use that attenuator. You can feed a tone into your Behringer stuff, set the output to the peak level on the behringer, and measure the final mic voltage on the flex mic plug using a scope to make sure it is within Flex's mic input range. If lazy, you can also go on amazon or ebay and purchase XLR switchable attenuators and an XLR to 1/4 inch plug adapter.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.