Question about Transverters function with Flex6300

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I was thinking about buying a transverter from the Transverters-Store. In particular the 144/28 transverter board but after reading this statement in the description I am not sure, "It would work the whole 2m band at 144 to 148 MHz if your base radio has the 28 to 32 MHz band. "
Does the flex6300 TX above 30mhz? If it does not then as far as TX was concern you would be limited to 144-146mhz and be missing TX from 147-148 right?-charlie
Photo of N3CHW

N3CHW

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 268 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
From what I have read here on the community, the transverter output will transmit over the entire range of the radio. That is from the VLF freqs to the top of the VHF freqs at a very low level. I think it is to 100 mW.  It is in the manual.
(Edited)
Photo of N3CHW

N3CHW

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Rick, let me put it another way. When I tune the flex outside the ham bands I loose the ability to TX. The transverter requires an input of 28-32 MHz to produce a proportional 4mhz from 144-148 MHz. So in order to TX the entire 144-148mhz the flex must output the entire BW of 28-32mhz. My question then is can the flex6300 (the exciter) be made to TX outside of the ham band(beyond 30mhz)?
But you are saying that the TX of the transverter port or connector of the flex radio is contiguous across 28-32mhz? That’s great to know. TNX
(Edited)
Photo of David - AB1XG

David - AB1XG

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have a Transverter Store 2 meter transverter that I use with my Flex 6500. The Flex WILL transmit out of the 10 meter band BUT only through the transverter port.
You don't want to output more than 2 watts from this transverter or your signal purity will suffer. I use a Mirage B-310G amp and get 80-100 watts output for the transverter's 2 watts input.
Do NOT use the PTT jack as Serge may suggest in the transverter instructions, use one of the Flex's keylines instead.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 522 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Art for clarity when you say keyline are you talking about the RCA Jack's label TX1, TX2 that are enabled in the Transmit section of the menu?
Thinking about trying one myself.
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 202 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
And in your Flex profile enable the TXn port for your 2M profile and disable it for other bands or you will be keying up the transverter when transmitting on all bands.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 522 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Thank you.
Photo of David - AB1XG

David - AB1XG

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Clay,
Yes, the ones marked TX1 TX2 TX3. Turn off the ones you're not using. ALSO, when you're on hf/6 meters, turn off the tx line to the transverter or it will key whenever your radio keys.
David AB1XG