Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

question about SPE with Flex radio

ON5AM
ON5AM Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi,
maybe the answer has already been given but I'm still going.
I have a flex 6300 and a SPE Expert 1.3k I think for all flex **** and amp SPE it's the same setting.
I learned that you should not connect the ALC of the flex because it's analog.
You have to set each band in LOW, MID and MAX power. It appears then "[PC = ****]" in the command. The question is how do you do with the Flex and the Expert?
Thank you for the answer

ON5AM

Answers

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Exactly as Ria says, it is all spelled out in the amplifier manual.  
  • ON5AM
    ON5AM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    thanks Ria,

Thank you for these explanations. So I will adjust each band.
    I guess I'll find how?
    It's still strange for me

• Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ria's instructions here straightened me out:

http://www.n2rj.com/2016/12/flex-radio-1108-beta-and-serial-port.html

The hard part for me was getting the Expert USB software to recognize my USB port.  Once I had that done, the rest was straightforward if you follow Ria's instructions for the cable.

As for "adjusting each band" you simply press the + and - keys on the  "Term 2K USB keypad" (the "full" software ) one.  The first time you touch one, it will  give you the "PC" display you already know about.  Then, as you touch + or -, it will change the drive power from the Flex.  I don't use the actual front panel much, but it should be about the same.

Because they communicate via the USB cable, the Expert Amp actually sets the power levels and as you hit + or -, you inform the Expert how to set the Flex.  It's a little trial and error, but it works.

Generally, the Expert Amp software acts exactly as the actual keypad does, so you can use either one.

Usually, I set the "Low" for about 100 to 200 watts.  I set the "mid" for the highest power I use for FT8 and the "high" for anywhere from a kilowatt to 1.3 kilowatts depending on the band.  My SWR isn't great on 15 meters, so I run that with a little less power; I get no warnings (the amp is very good about protecting itself), so it seems right.
  • ON5AM
    ON5AM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thank you for these explanations. I just found and made settings73

• Gary Ashdown
    Gary Ashdown Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

For those who use a SPE amp on 6mtrs and run >1kw through their remote antenna switch system (AMB-02), please contact SPE. They have a modification for the remote antenna system to prevent a heating issue.

regards

Gary

VK8AW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.