Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Question about setting up a PALSTAR LA-1k Amplifier to my brand new Flex 6600M I am about to receive

Options
Julie KC0TMD
Julie KC0TMD Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I will receive the Flex 6600M tomorrow, and I have a question about hooking up my Amplifier. I know that with this Amplifier that I can drive it no more then 50 watts, but is there anything I should be aware of when using this with the Flex 6600M, because of the
Controlled Envelope SSB.

I just found out that the Flex uses Controlled Envelop SSB, and that the it will more then double the output talk power. If this is the case, do I need to drive my radio at half the power of 50 watts so I do not over drive my Amplifier? Or will I be ok to Drive the Radio at 50 watts with out over driving the PALSTAR LA-1k Amplifier?

Thank You.

Julie Bernstein.

KC0TMD

Answers

• N5BE
    N5BE Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Julie

I have a 6600M to LA-1K to a HF-AUTO TO A LP500. I have found you don't need more than 40 watts out of the radio to drive the amp to +1000 watts. You could even need less dependent on your shack conditions. I set the radio to max output of 40 watts with a tune at 5 watts CW carrier. Dependent on your Mic you will need to set you Mic setting to give you that without over-driving it. My legacy Mic was a Heil PR-30B and I needed 50% Mic setting to drive the radio. My current Shure is only needing 20% with Mic boost enabled and a Cloud Lifter in-line; so it depends...

You will find that once you get to 1000 watts out adding anymore drive is diminishing returns. You will get very little out of the AMP and could be putting out some distortion. I ran a test on that very subject when I got the AMP and you get very little to no positive results beyond 40 in and 1K out.    Keep it 40 watts and below going into the AMP and you'll be fine. 

You are going to love that Radio and AMP!!!!

Best regards,

Lee
    N5BE
  • Julie KC0TMD
    Julie KC0TMD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Lee,

Can you please give me the Amp adjustments setting from the radio menu. I want to make sure I have the correct settings so everything works like clockwork.

Thank You.

Julie
    KC0TMD
  • N5BE
    N5BE Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'll email you a screen shot of the radio display tomorrow. It's very easy to set up. Once you have it where you want/need it you should save it as a Profile. Very easy to do as well.

• Bob Perkins
    Bob Perkins Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've only been using my 6600 with the LA-1K for about a month, but I've had no problems at all. At least, all on air reports are good, and amp seems very happy. I usually drive it with 40 watts. 45 watts gives me a tad over 1000 watts out , but I don't push it that hard. Like Lee said, you'll love the the combination of radio and amp.

Bob KU5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.