Question about AGCT setting on Flex 6400M

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Another noob question here about basic operation of the Flex 6400M.  When in USB/LSB mode, what is the best way to determine the optimal setting for the AGCT setting (1-100)?  On my legacy radios I always ran the RF gain wide open, or the S-meter did not work properly.  Not so on the Flex.  So how does one determine the best setting?
de Roger W6VZV
Photo of Roger J. Buffington

Roger J. Buffington

• 148 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2972 Posts
  • 653 Reply Likes
Roger, I think it would be the same for the M models. Start from the right on the AGC t were it is noisy, then slowly bring it down till you hear the noise reduce, that is the knee were the best setting is.
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
On legacy radios you would have noticed a much quieter and stronger signal had you lowered the rf gain once the station was properly tuned then raised the af gain to 75% after lowering the rf gain to get rid of the background noise.

This is the main cause of hams saying they need better and quieter receivers cause they wont turn the rf gain down to make their good receiver sound good so they instead just throw money at it, but i guess thats good for flex makes their rigs sound even better in comparison.

as far as the s meter its not even needed everyone is always 599 even after you have repeated your info for the 6th time.
(Edited)
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Good advice Bill, it works really well that way and after I get the station tuned I want to hear i set it just like the rf gain i turn it down to between 30to34 and crank up the af gain to 65 to 70 and it sounds great.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2971 Posts
  • 653 Reply Likes
Wayne, your right,,if you take the time to set the AGC-T just right, it makes all the difference, but it is not a set it a and forget it sort of thing, it should be adjusted as conditions change, even during a conversation.
Photo of Roger J. Buffington

Roger J. Buffington

• 148 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Good info fellows and thank you.
de Roger W6VZV
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 273 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
You will find that setting the AGC-T correctly also improved the results when using the APF and WNB options.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 321 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Correct on the setting.  Most powerful tool out there.

Have a look in the SmartSDR manual for AGC-T and it is well described on how to use it.

Mike va3mw