Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Quality control options

Dave
Dave Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in New Ideas
With out having any knowledge of Flex factory quality control procedures and final inspection / testing. 

An optional layer of "hands on" testing. Removing the unit from a ready to be shipped sealed box and putting it through full operating, high temperature on/off cycles for x amount of hours.   

As a manufacturer I understand that every minute spent making these units adds up and achieving nil parts failure is impractical. Lets face it, every company projects and budgets  warranty returns / repairs.

If this service was offered as an optional extra I would purchase it as an international customer. In the event of parts failure beyond the control of Flex the return freight and time back to the USA will be expensive and time consuming. 

Dave 
VK4UC

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You might want to contact Future Systems in Australia as they are the dealer and see what they say about service. 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I asked the same question before, Burn In period... Do they Burn In the radios for say 3-5 days??? Where is the final QC performed, at the Factory or at Flex??? We know that Icom and Yaesu radios are finalized at the Factory, shipped world wide to distributors, and then Sold to the consumer.. I printed out the 6600M manual today and will read it in depth over the next week. I DO NOT own a 6600M radio, I never have own a Flex Product..

So before I shell out $5K all I can do is speculate, and watch videos of the radio, and testimonials from buyers...  For me, I just cant place a deposit on a radio, and then wait 2 plus months to get it.. Like a Car, I like to test drive it, feel comfortable with the purchase, then close the deal.. Not sure how long these deposits and back-orders will go on... If you have to place an order, deposit, and only then does Flex start production,, well that is hard for me.. I could walk into HRO tomorrow and get any number of radios right off the shelf.. Flex has one thing going for them, a very SELLER reputation!!!! And the 6600M looks to be a WINNER from every perspective...  Maybe I should focus on my Antenna Farm first, before getting a new radio.. After all 100 Feet up in the air, is better then 50!!! LOL

Robert
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Ria, I will contact them today 
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Yes, there is a QA cycle on every radio.  Robert, we do also provide a 30 day refund return policy just in case you are not pleased with your radio.    Unfortunately, we do have the odd issue, and that is something we do not want to have as it is expensive for everyone and affects the 'bottom line' as they say.  

Many of you wish to wait, and that is fine.  We have customers from all worlds.  Early adopters, late adopters and those that will only buy used.  Not everyone has the same purchasing mind set.

If we sold via HRO or added into the dealer network, my guess is the price for all the radios could be up to 30% higher.    

It is all about choices I guess.

Mike

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    WOW, A 30 day refund if not satisfied!!! That is something that can tilt me over the top, and go order a Flex 6600M.... However the 60 plus wait is still a thorn in my side... 60 days from now I will start my 3 week European vacation,, not good to have a radio sitting somewhere for weeks.. Need to figure what to do next??

Robert
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Might be the perfect time to order. If it comes in time you can have it setup to operate remotely while you are on vacation. Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on any dates for shipping. As good of a company as Flex is, forecasting dates is not their strong point.

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Remote!!! Well when on Vacation my wife wants me to leave Radios at home, and devote 100% of my attention to her!!! Celebrating my 50 year wedding anniversary is something that came about by separating Ham Radio from Vacations and special occasions!!! :-) 
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Robert,

I have stated this before on the community. 
    • 100% of PCBs go through automated functional test.
    • 100% of radios go through factory QA at multiple stages in manufacturing.
    • 100% of radios go through burn in before final test.
    • 100% of radios receive final automated functional test and calibration.
    • 100% of the test and calibration data is logged into a SQL database by board and radio serial number.
    • You cannot load final software on a radio that has not passed all tests.
    • We do statistical sampling at FlexRadio unless we determine a need to sample at a higher rate.  
    • Our radios are designed, manufactured, marketed, serviced and supported in Austin, TX USA.
    The good news is that the new radios have a large backlog are selling very well.  The bad news is that means there is a wait until we can catch up.

Thanks for considering FlexRadio.  

Gerald
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    50 years... she's a keeper. Leave the radios at home. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.