Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

QST product review on 6300 & 6700 in April 2015

Chris DL5NAM
Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
Thanks for providing to all Flexer. Maybe 1 or 2 not ARRL members :-)

Comments

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    How could any serious ham not be a member of the one and only organization that attempts to support us all?

I know we're all cheap, but wow.

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    If they are out of the USA, then not a big reason to join, especially since they have an organization on their home turf.

Speaking of "cheap" at the local testing site for Amateur Radio license, the VE's commented taking tests at their site was US$5 as opposed to another local VE group that charges US$15.  Considering all the time and effort to prepare and take the  exam, a savings of US$10 would not be come to mind.  They are not recovering their costs at $5 I should think.  Anyway, the XYL passed Technician exam so now have to share the Flex 6500 with her...

Regards,

k3Tim / MS-EE / PE / PP-SEL IFR / ARRL VCE
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    If they are out of the USA, then not a big reason to join, especially since they have an organization on their home turf.
    Well then he should not try to read the articles for free in that case. Since there's no need. :)

And now, you need to buy another FLEX!! You can't share these things...that's ridiculous.

And good point on the VE topic. I'm looking into becoming one myself!

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Nothing's perfect, Burt. Let's hear your alternative..

We're lucky there's ANYone ANYwhere paying ANY attention to this ludicrous hobby. 

Old boys network or not.
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    ..welcome to the club
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    @Burt As one who has been known to take controversial positions myself, i must admit that in you I have finally found someone who can be more controversial than me. I don't live in an HOA...in fact we bought our current house the week after the HOA CC&R's expired. But in this case, the history behind the HOA ban on Antennas necessitates the removal of these impediments. History? Yes. CC&R'S were originally invented and imposed on developers by Banks so that they could have a consistent lending product when thet resold mortgages to investors. They have nothing to do with the quality of life or maintenance of property values. Antenna restrictions were imposed partially as a sop to the cable TV interests who paid developers to include them. In fact, there are númer studies that show that properties appreciate much faster after HOA restorations expire. Realistically in most areas of the country its almost impossible to buy an affordable home without HOA CC&R's Congress has already removed restrictions (thank the satellite TV lobby) for Over The Air Receiving Devices. It's time to stop punishing hams who are stuck in HOA's
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Burt,

Perhaps you could expand on what you mean by this...

"The old boy network has a little Vladimir Putin in them."

Are you comparing the leadership of the ARRL to Vladimir Putin?

Jon...kf2e

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    No Burt, I guess I don't see the comparison between the folks at the ARRL that have spent their careers trying to support and advance amateur radio and a bully like Putin. I also don't see anything similar between trying to ensure amateurs can have an antenna on their property with shooting down airliners and invading neighboring countries. As near as I can tell the ARRL has attempted to make change from within our system of government. I can't say the same for Putin.

I think you might have spent too many years protected by the union and have forgotten about civility.

Jon...kf2e

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This topic as gone off the rails as an editorial on the value of the ARRL and has nothing to do with the original praise post so I am closing it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.