QSK button on CWX display

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I am a new 6500 user. After having read the various documents about QSK, I am wondering exactly what purpose the QSK button on the CWX display actually does? I have found that I MUST have the QSK button not illuminated in order to avoid delays in my CW. So, what is it's purpose? Thanks!
John W9ILY
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of AH0U

AH0U

• 339 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
You can set the delay to whatever you want
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I know that the delay can be changed (the tail time) but that can be done without having the QSK button active. So, what is the actual purpose of the button? The documentation states that "the button is illuminated when you are in a QSK supported setup" but there is noting I can find that describes this "setup". Can anybody help with this?Thanks!
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 859 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Hi John !

your have placeed good note, with QSK button  function are not defined  as you can see and radio conitiously stay in QSK mode. BTW you can look through my post here
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/mox-footswtich-ptt-ignored-while-cw-switching-into-...

what is related to QSk button function. 

Tim has open ticket #5111 and i hope it will get back to us this fucntion for proper usage.
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Further about the QSK button. If I have the button pushed "illuminated" the QSK function appears to function correctly. HOWEVER if the QSK button is illuminated the CW keying encounters random pauses during transmission, up to 1/2 second, before the remainder of the characters are transmitted. I really like to use QSK but it is impossible with the pauses. I hope this can be corrected.
John W9ILY
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Are your client and radio local on the same LAN or is your client remote?
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Tim, Everything is on the same LAN. I do not have any remote.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
On the LAN, you should never experience a 1/2 second pause if the network is operating properly.  Is there a wireless network component in between the radio and the PC?
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 859 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
John, additional things creating pauses here may different TX delays if you have set under radio setup -> TX.
Set everything to zero for initial testing purpose.
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Both the PC and radio and wired connections to the router. The pause only occur when the QSX button is active. When not active all is OK.FYI all settings for Radio Setup are at Zero.
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Both P C and radio are wired connections.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
What version of SmartSDR are you running?
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
V1.10.16
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
SmartSDR v1.10.16 does not have the CWX improvements that are in 2.0, so this issue will be outstanding until 1.11 is released later this year.
Photo of W9ILY

W9ILY

• 68 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
OK, thanks for the info, Tim. I'' wait for 1.11.