Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

QRP mode?

Iain McLachlan
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
How can I lower the power below 1W?

QRP isn't much of a challenge when WSPR is still doing >5000 miles on 1 watt into a mag-loop sitting on the window ledge! I want to reduce the power, not generate heat with attenuators.

Cheers.

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't know if it would work or not, but have you checked out the transverter output?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is no way to operate less than ~1W without a pad or using the 0dBm transverter output.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Remember QRP on your end requires a magnificent antenna system on the other end.
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    I've heard that comment a fair bit, but it's not that simple. 
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    That's 30dbm down. I guess that, that's the answer, that it's a fixed lower limit.

Is this a hardware issue Tim?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Maybe so, but I continually hear QRP'ers bragging about how they worked station X with 1 Watt, while the receiving station is the one who should get the credit.
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    No, but I will now!
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    Signals are sent, not attracted.
  • K6NOK- Bill
    K6NOK- Bill Member
    edited January 2015
    Jim
    I expect all of you guys to have a magnificent antenna system, because mine is so pitiful. :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Having attended presentations at Dayton by the GQRP and other low power enthusiasts, I have learned that most serious QRP'ers are passionate about squeezing every last drop out of their low power stations, and that includes building some fantastic antenna systems.  In fact, a QRP station with a great antenna will outperform a 100 Watt station with a sub-standard antenna system.  

5 Watts is only 13 dB below 100 watts.  This is just a hair over 2 S-units.  
    1 Watt is only 20 dB below 100 Watts.  This is about 3 1/2 S-units.

There have been many days when the QSB fluctuated by more than that in a 30 second cycle.  QRP and QRPp are certainly doable, especially on the higher bands.  I admit it can be very tough on 160 & 80.  Though there have been many times that I have had stations refuse to believe that I was only running 5 Watts from my FLEX-1500!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    To Quote my friend Harvey K6QK (SK) when I asked him about doing QRP via my SteppIR MonstIR

"Life is too Short for QRP"
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, but using that logic who would ever have kids?  You can just adopt them when they are already **** trained and have a job!  hi hi!  

OTOH...I would love to try some QRP on a MonstIR!  That would be awesome.  Then after a while I would crank-er-up!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Great idea about adopting **** trained kids with a job... I wish we had been smart enough to do that 40+ years ago...

I did a lot of QRP with **** antennas when I was a kid because that was all i could afford....

One of the joys in life is no longer having to repeat unpleasant stuff that you were forced by poverty to do...

Today I just point the beam, turn on the 2K-FA and Voila - I am usually the first response from any DX Station...in fact, I get really worried now if I am not the first one they come back to....really helps the rate and scores in contests....

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My QRP Flex solution is a Flex 1500.  LOVE IT!  It's also low power consumption so its very field usable.  The 6000's still take quite a bit of power even at 1W.
  • AA3RQ-Geof
    AA3RQ-Geof Member
    edited October 2014
    My first three contacts with my Flex 6500 and a long wire were all QRP (5 watts) DX. Canada and Russia on 40m, and France on 15m. I wasn't really trying for DX, it just happened.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I'll vote for that. Life IS to short for QRP Isn,t 1.5kw qrp ??
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Life is too short for radio.
    Use the telephone.

• Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    Well, that worked as expected. Nothing. There must be something wrong with those magnificent antennas at the other end. ;o)
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    Tim, is this a hardware issue?
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    If radio was, to me, just a case of 'point a beam and in they come'... I'd find another hobby. QRP and **** antennas... sounds like fun to me. And I don't live in poverty. I'd doubt anyone else using SmartSDR does either.
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    Yawn...
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    I've just found my old 1500. I meant to sell it but clearly didn't. Time to dust it off methinks...

I can't remember if its power is variable though. I'm confused with my 5000a which IS going in the auctions.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I ran some experiments a while back (10 months or so ago) and was able to QSO a friend 0.8 miles away on 10 meters easily with my antenna connected to the transverter jack on my 6500.  You can follow the thread below and see the power calculations that I did with Eric and Steve's help.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/milliwatting_with_the_6500_what_is_the_transverter_...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Not really.  The radio was designed to operate between 1 and 100W.  Not below 1W.
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited October 2014
    Hi Tim. I'm a bit confused by your reply. So it's only a software limitation then?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have contest friends who when a qrp station calls them they reduce their power to minimum which often results in the qrp station saying the can't hear the station that was originally high power.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Life is far too short for QRP!
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited November 2014
    If that QRP station were to reduce the power sufficiently, then your "contest" friend wouldn't be able to hear the QRP station either.
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited November 2014
    Life's too short for posting on forums. :o)
  • Iain McLachlan
    edited November 2014
     "The 6000's still take quite a bit of power even at 1W."

That'll be the PC in the radio.

The 6000 solution means using two computers and one radio. It's quite an inefficient way of using power.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.