Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

pulsating fan noise in flex-6500

Gene - K3GC
Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a pulsating fan noise in my 6500.  It is constant from the time I turn the radio on.
I removed the cover and disconnected the large side fans.  It made no difference so the problem is clearly coming from the small internal fans.
The pulsating noise is the only problem other than driving me nuts listening to it all the time :).  It is the same sort of noise that you get from a twin engine aircraft with the props out of sync.  

Comments

• Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    Suggest you contact the Help Desk... 
    helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    or sync the props......  
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gene I would contact the help desk.  I had the same problem with fan noise on my 6500.   After a trip back to Flex all is well.   I know how it can drive you nuts! 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have had the same problem with my 6500 since day 1. Sending the radio back to its birthplace is not so easy from VK  land. My "solution" was to put the radio on a foam mat. This reduces acoustic coupling and makes the noise much easier to put up with.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    thanks Brian,
    It works a treat.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Gene - I have updated your HelpDesk ticket with the information you requested.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Brian - the "pulsing" fan noise is indicative of one of the two CPU fans starting to malfunction.  It is either running at a lower speed that the other one or the speed is oscillating.  If the fan speed drops too low to cool the CPU properly, the radio will throw a thermal error and shut down the radio as a protection mechanism.  If you get these errors, even if they go away on a subsequent restart, you should have the radio serviced.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If it is just one of the fans, can't he just get another and throw it in himself?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    No.  The CPU fans are not user serviceable.  Attempting to do so will void the radio's hardware warranty.
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Tim. As I said in my original post, it has been like that since day 1. It was about day 1.2 when I put the foam underneath it. I appreciate your warning. Knock on wood I have not had y warning. Brian
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    RRR. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.