Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PTT vs CAT for JT-65 or WSPR

Ian1
Ian1 Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Question

When I was at the Orlando Ham fest a few of the Flex Radio Reps where showing me that I should use PTT to Transmit rather then CAT. I went home set it all up and have been using it on 3 slices that way.

last night I decided to Monitor all 8 slices on my 6700 for JT-65 & WSPR and created additional Cat Ports. The setup functions great and can transmit on any slice as well. Only negative is the Logging program only Auto Logs from Slice A.

Tell me what is the advantage of running the separate PTT for all slices what am I not understanding?

Ian
KM4CQG

Answers

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Darned if I know, I've always used CAT. Seeing that it works, I'm curious as well.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    The advantage is that some digital mode programs appear to be more reliable when using PTT rather than CAT.  I presume it is because the RX/TX control signals have to be processed by the third-party applications CAT software rather than "bit banging" a control line (RTS/DTR) on a serial port.

Personally, I never use a PTT port unless the third-party app doesn't support TX control via CAT.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I too use CAT for PTT.  With virtual serial ports, the CAT data is never converted to serial and there is no speed advance to using PTT via RTS/DTR signalling.. 
    You might consider using Kenwood 2000 emulation for CAT instead of Flex.  Then WSJT-X will consider each slice as if it were slice A.

AL, K0VM
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Guy's

I have been using both PTT and Cat very successfully and never see any difference in any function. I am also using the TS2000 in WSJT.

It's amazing to watch all 8 slices decode thanks again.

Ian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.