Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PTT for Two Sound Card Programs Needed

N1UW
N1UW Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I need to run two sound card programs simultaneously and jump between them without delay. Receiving is no problem by setting the software to listen to the same DAX channel.

However, my 6500 will only transmit from one sound card program...whichever was first started.  To transmit from the other sound card program, I have to exit and restart Smart SDR to free up the serial port.  I need to be able to transmit from either software program without this delay.

I have read the Smart CAD documentation but cannot figure out how to make this happen.

I only need PTT functionality...no other CAT functions. Specifically, the sound card programs are HRD6/DM780 and MS-DMT.

Thanks for your expert help.

N1UW

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Can't speak directly to the specific programs, but you should be able to set up as many PTT ports as you like in SmartCAT and assign them to whatever programs you like. Say COM6 to one app, COM7 to another. 
  • N1UW
    N1UW Member
    edited August 2017

I should have added the following information from the Smart CAT screen:

MAIN TAB

Connect 3rd part program to port: COM 4

SERIAL PORTS TAB

Physical Ports: COM 3

Available Flex virtual ports: COM 5-15 (PTT dtr/rts)

PORT MAP TAB

COM 4 UNKNOWN #14 CAT

COM 5 UNKNOWN #15 CAT

• N1UW
    N1UW Member
    edited August 2017

That was too easy, George.  And, the answer was right under my nose in the documentation.

Thanks for your quick response. 

73 Frank, N1UW

And, remember: we have no problems...only insurmountable opportunities!

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Is it a PTT problem or a DAX TX problem?  You can define several PTT ports in SSDR CAT and assign a different one to each sound card program.   What you can not do is attach more than one DAX TX channel to a (TX ) slice..   You can assign a different DAX TX channels to different slices but then you would need to select the slice that you wish to transmit on. 

AL, K0VM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes.  This is what I do with my 6500. 
    I have three PTT Ports, and about 6 or 8 Dedicated CAT port pairs for various programs and I throw in a few Shared ports for other software and access to my 1500.

An alternate way of doing this is to use DDUtil and use multiple shared ports through DDUtil and a single Dedicated port between the Flex and DDUtil. 

Ken - NM9P
  • N1UW
    N1UW Member
    edited August 2017

It was strictly a PTT issue...not even a problem after I reread the documentation.  The various sound card programs share the same DAX channel just fine.  Everything works just the way it should.  Thanks for your reply.

Frank

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.