PSK 31 Signal on 6300 Panadapter

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have got PSK 31 working with my 6300 really well (I think), thanks to the guidance from Dudley. My question now is does this look like a good signal or am I not doing something right? Any input would be appreciated.
Again thank you Dudley for your help.
Ken
W0KRD
Photo of Ken Davis

Ken Davis

• 65 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 954 Posts
  • 334 Reply Likes
Morning Ken,

It is difficult to tell from the screen shots as for me the real test is looking at the received signal and whether it splatters or not.

In my best guess I'd say your audio input level is just a tiny bit high based on the level meter just above compression.  I emphasize "tiny" as you are very close to where I run.

You are in DIGU mode which is good as it removes all EQ.  Definitely don't want that in digital modes.

I'd say you are there.  Next best thing is to get on and ask a reasonably strong station in a QSO to give you a report.  I've actually had some stations send me an email screen shot when my signal was splattering or had some other artifact.  Don't hesitate if they say there is something wrong to make a minor adjustment and ask them if it helped.

Mark
Photo of Ken Davis

Ken Davis

• 65 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thank you very much Mark. Hearing it from a fellow user is very reassuring. Hope to see you on the waterfall some day
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 954 Posts
  • 334 Reply Likes
Likewise Ken!  Again tough to tell until you see your receive signal.  

These days with computers ask if someone can email you a screen shot of your waterfall trace on their software.  Some will be able to easily.  Others won't have a clue but still doesn't hurt to ask.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 803 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
As Mark pointed out, the Xmt audio is to high; the 0-dB point should never be hit. At this station Xmt audio is set to be in the green or just touching yellow. One way to adjust is set the RF output to 100W and then adjust audio for about 80W.

Using the full duplex feature (FDX) the xmit PSK-31 signal (using FLDIGI) shows the out of band signals 70 dB down! 
(Edited)
Photo of Ken Davis

Ken Davis

• 65 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Tim, thank you for your input. I have cooled down the Xmit audio a bit as you have suggested and will try this with some contacts to see what they think.
I do appreciate yours and Marks input.
Ken
W0KRD