Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PSDR & SmartSDR CAT

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
I thought at one time I was able to use SmartSDR CAT with PSDR to key the radio (F1500) and follow the frequency with another app like fldigi, etc.  Is this a case of CRS?  Please advise. 

Don

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Don

Your memory is good. It was possible at one time. I asked about it when the change happened in this thread. ...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/shared-virtual-com-port-cables

SmartSDR CAT no longer creates shared virtual com port cables, which would be required in order to connect one end to PowerSDR's selected CAT port. Currently SmartSDR CAT connectios are kind of one-sided, one end is "virtually" hardwired to the 6xxx radio. So there is no way to connect it to your FLEX1500. All of the Flex Legacy models are afffected. It is possible to install VspManager alongside SmartSDR CAT, But you'll need to be careful  when assigning port numbers, the port assignments can't overlap and both programs will tend to try and use each others assigned ports. VSPM is what many of us used, before SmartSDR CAT was available.  You can get a new copy of VSPmanager by emailing Steve Nance K5FR by following the instructions here ...

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=VSP_Manager

Steve's always been very quick to respond to VSPM requests every time I've misplaced my backup copy.

Enterlogic sells VSPE, there was also comOcom, but I don't know, if it's still available and functional.

I know VSPM and SmartSDR CAT can be made to coexist, running on Windows 10 64 bit. I'm setup that way now. It also worked for me on the early Windows versions.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

edited to fix those pesky URL's

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Jay

Steve was quick in getting me a copy of VSP.  I was looking at device manager (Win 10) - See below. image

I use com10 and com40, however, since I am using SmartSDR CAT do I need to keep COM14, 15, 16, 17, and 18?  Should I delete them?  See below SmartSSR CAT display:

Don - kx9q
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I deleted all the comports except com10 and com40 in device manager and rebooted.  I now have two "Other Devices" FabulaTech_VirtualPort_05 and 06.  I wonder what software is using FabulaTech?

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Don

FabulaTech==DAX.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Do I have to uninstall DAX and reinstall or should I just uninstall SSDR, DAX, and CAT and reinstall all?  I did not know DAX used a comport or two?  I did install VSP and created a pair com8 and com18 and now the F1500 works ok.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Don 

You only really need to avoid two things. Ghosted com ports and conflicting assignments.
    Sometimes either SSDR CAT or VSPM will try to assign ports the other one is using. But when all else fails, yeah, a clean reinstall of SmartSDR, after first removing any Ghosted Com ports that aren't PC hardware ports might be the quickest way to get sorted back out. But it can be a pain removing a bunch of Ghosted Ports. There are articles about how to remove Ghosts and also how to do a "real" clean reinstall of SmartSDR on the Help Desk. Might as well read them sooner, rather than later. Just be sure, it's "you" picking the assignments and not SmartSDR CAT or VSPM deciding. It can be done, but it can seem tricky until you've done it a few times.

Also one other point, it's usually best if you delete ports using the same software that created them, and trying that first, before deleting them with windows.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    All and Don

OOP's
    FabulaTech == SmartSDR CAT I meant to say!
    Dunno why it took me an hour to notice that.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Just finished reading the docs on ghost ports and clean reinstall of Smart SDR.  It is time to call it a night and start when I am fresh in the am.

Thanks for all the info.

Don - kx9q
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I noticed if you select a com port in SmartSDR CAT - say com4 - and edit it then right click and select advanced it shows the second port com14 created.  I don't know the significance of this but was wondering if you select com14 in the 1.5K and com4 in the software (fldigi, wsjt-x, etc) would it work?  I am going running but when I get back I will try it.  In device manager I see FR VSP com14, 16, 17 and 4.  I also see the two ports I created with VSP Manager com8/18.

Don - kx9q
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Don

The Higher numbered port in each pair is the one the radios itself is connected to. The lower numbered port in each pair, is the only on you can connect to anything. SmartSDR CAT no longer has the ability to create shared shareable com port pairs. Use the VSP Manager created ports to interconnect applications.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Jay

I ended up uninstalling SDR, all the com ports including ghost ports, and the older versions of SDR.  I then reinstalled SDR but had issues with DAX.  So I followed the instructions given in the Helpdesk for reinstalling DAX but that did not work.  Finally I found someone who suggested running the install of SSDR as administrator.  So I thought well maybe that will work for the DAX uninstall/install.  I uninstalled all four DAX components and the rebooted.  I then proceeded to install all four DAX components and rebooted again. In each case I did it as administrator.  When I powered up the flex DAX was working again.

As we talked earlier what a waste not being able to use the port pairs in the 5K, 3K, and 1.5K and then they don't even notify you of this change.  The latest version of the CAT doc goes back to January.  Maybe it is mentioned in the change log.

With VSP Manager and VAC I was able to get the 1.5K up and running without issue.

I appreciate your help.

Don - kx9q
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Don 

I whinged about the removal of the "shared port" feature in SmartSDR CAT at the time. Maybe not loudly enough. Not sure how you would document a feature, no longer present, in the User Manual though. Reading the chatter in the Community daily, does help to fill in some of the missing info. Although the info comes with added QRM, most of the time. image 
    Glad you got it working again.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.