Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

proper shutdown of 6300

Corey/ KC0YNS
Corey/ KC0YNS Member
Greetings, I'm a new owner of a 6300. My question is in shutting down the radio itself, I'm currently pushing the button on the radio and the icon goes off, Later I shut down the Astron power supply & momentarily the icon lights up then goes off. First is that normal? Second is it best to leave the power supply on? thoughts about leaving the radio on instead of shutting it down for several hour's of non use. Thank you, Corey.

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Coorey.

The station here consists of a 6500 and a 70-Amp (linear) Astron supply.  I shut down as you describe and see a display message "power supply below 9.49 V-DC - shutting down" as the supply slowly bleeds down.  This on the front LCD panel.  This seems normal to me although I wished the supply would 'disconnect' once turned off but that would add cost to the Astron supply.  Switcher supplies would likely be better at turning off.

Personally, I leave the 6500 on 24 hours.  The solid state electronics don't care about the slightly higher temps (electro caps do to an extent) and the start up / thermal transients seem more concern to me.  For decades I've left the SS gear turned on.

Best Regards,

k3Tim
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    I agree Tim... I even discussed this with Flex and was told their whole radio setup with MANY radios going all at once are running 24/7... I always leave them run.(unless there is a storm).  turning them on/off is harder on them than leaving them on...

As far as Power Supply's go... Stay with your linear supply!!! Lot less chance of introducing unwanted noises into the system.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My 6300 does the same thing. Turn on my Astron linear power supply, a brief green flash on the front of the 6300. Turn it off by pushing the button, wait for the green light to go out. Turn off the Astron, brief red flash on the button as the power goes out.
    I do not leave my radios running all the time or the PC. In the past, I used to leave the PC on all the time but this newer PC is an old server and it pulls 500 watts just sitting there so I keep it off when I don't want to use it. The 6300 goes on when I get up in the morning, I listen around for awhile while I eat breakfast then turn it and everything else off while I'm gone to work. Crank it back up in the afternoon for more listening IF I have time but not every day.
    On the weekends, I leave it on all day because I may sit down for a few minutes every few hours for a quick listen. 
    I do this mainly just to save money, don't like the idea of it wasting $$$ all day while I'm at work...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Corey - the behavior you observed is normal.  And it really makes no difference whether or not you shut off the DC power supply after you have powered down the radio.  Mine has been left on for 2 years now except where there is a near by thunderstorm or I have to take it to a hamfest.
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited February 2017
    Thank you everyone for your prompt reply's. Great resource.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.