Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

profiles

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
Setup my flex 6400M today and am trying to understand profiles ... this seems very important and challenging.

Is there a way to see a profile overview for each profile without having to load the profile and manually goto the menu tabs and press each one to see what is set?

If there is not it would be great if someone could create a utility that I could run on a computer to gather and display all the individual profile settings for each profile on the radio. Heck it would be even better if the utility would create a profile which could then be sent to the flex via cat or api.

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The manual lists which parameters are saved by the Global, Transmit, and Mic profiles.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My memory is not that good to remember every profile setting I have made in every profile for all 3 types of profiles and the numerous ones provided with the radio.

Its like saying here is a 300 page document you need to find the page which contains these 3 words in a single sentence which only occurs once in the located chapter and is not highlighted or underlined!

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    FRStacks allows you to switch profiles easily and shows all the profiles of each type.  Also if you mouse over the Active slice it shows the settings of the slice.  I do not know if is possible but you might ask the developer of FRStacks if he can include this mouse over display of the setting on each actual profile shown in the profile tabs.  He is usually very responsive to new ideas and functionality.  Here is a link to FRStack.  You will find it much easier to do some things with it than on the 6400M screens and menus.  

http://www.mkcmsoftware.com/Flex/Index
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Finally figured out an understandable organizationAl plan for my profiles that works!
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yes the manual does list what is affected there is a page showing this. Also what might be about as good and easier to manage is writing to a memory. I am going to try this soon.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As mentioned about, FRstacks controls all the profiles and tells how each one is set up, that is what I use, I love how the Flex is meant to work with 3rd party software that adds so much to our operation. without making the SSDR bloatware.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have found memories to be independent of profiles. In other words if I am on a 20m profile which uses a tx profile for ssb and a mic profile for rag chew and load a 10m Fm repeater memory the result is I end up in fm mode on a 20m frequency at the power I had setup in the 20m profile. I only find memories useful if I have the correct global profile loaded which relates to that memory otherwise its a mess.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I thought that may be the case.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    "FRstacks controls all the profiles and tells how each one is set up"

What do you mean by this?  I don't know any third party program that tells you how a profile is setup.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Profiles can be confusing but basically as I understand it there are:

Global Profiles - These contain a number of "global" settings including pan setup, filters, etc.  They also seem to contain a "transmit" profile and a "mic" profile.

Transmit profiles - These seem to contain power settings and other basic transmit related setup

Mic profiles - These seem to contain mic settings, souce, EQ, levels etc.

What seems to be working for me is:

1) I have a global profile for each type of operation and band I want to operate on.  So I have things like 40mCW is for 40 meter CW.  20mFT8 is for FT8 on 20 meters.   Selecting one of these profiles takes me to that band, sets up the pan and slice as I want for that mode including the filter.

2) I have really 3 transmit profiles:  CW, Digital, SSB.   I am not 100% clear on what settings are in these but I have the CW one tailored for how I like my transmit settings for CW.  Same thing for SSB.

3) Lastly I have about 8 mic profiles.  Mostly these select the mic source, bandwidth, any EQ and also any  compressor settings.

This makes logical sense to me.  Sometimes I'll select a global profile then change the current transmit profile or mic profile.  This makes SSDR want to save the global profile as it has sensed changes.   Just have to be careful to know when to save.

It does bother me a bit that when I create a new global profile it wants to make a new transmit and mic profile of the same name.   

Anyway that is what I know of  profiles.  So far they are working for me.

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    When you create a new global profile it only makes its own tx and mic profiles if not assigned. what i do is load a global profile then touch the bar to get the keyboard and rename the global profile then hit save. The I go back and load the mic and tx profiles I want in that global profile then go back to the global profiles and select the one I just made by touching its name and hit save so now it has the mic and tx profiles i wanted it to have. Everyone has to come up with their own org method it took me almost 3 days to settle on one that works for me. But now its much better. At least till I try to load a memory in a profile using a different mode
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don’t think the manual delves into this issue of basics to actually to do a real world configuration. I beleave that they only explain the function of each type of profile. I pretty much do the same as Wayne. The basic procedure being to creat your microphone profile, then the transmit profile, with any variations such as attributes to run an amplifier, or no amplifier. Doing this allows you to, let’s say, go from barefoot to hipower, just by changing the selection in the transmit selection pull down. Once the mic and transmit profiles are created, then the global can be created. And yes, one could do the barefoot to amplifier chang by using multiple globals. You may have to do this per band. But I think this gets rather messy. I have found that if you use one global, and then use the change band pull down menu, you may see an inter reaction between the profile and the persistence memory., because persistence remembers the last configuration you may have used. I wish the use of persitance memory would have a lower priority versus global memory when changing bands. Pat
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Pat just to add a bit since I only have ssb etup for now I have 3 Mic profiles 1 for ragchew 1 for dx and 1 for Dxn but now in all my globals only use the ragchew I can change these on the fly if needed and as long as I don't save I reload the global profile I need when I start the rig.

I HAVE 6 xmt profiles due to 2 antennas that have different power handling and a linear amp which can be used with either antenna by manual switch. So my xmt profiles are named no amp 20/no amp 90 which I use with either antenna the 20 and 90 indicate the power out that every band is set to in the xmt profile since it saves by band which is not too clearly documented but it does. The other 4 xmt profiles are amplifier related sda amp 25/400 indicate a xmt profile for use with the amp with 25w in at 400w out into the sda antenna capable of 1200w again every band has power set at 25 for 400 out with no surprises. I have 2 more 30/460 and 35/560 for the same antenna. My last one is cha amp 14/225 which is my other antenna with the amp 14w in and 225w out again for all bands that antenna can only handle 240w.

I HAVE 6 global profiles with similar titles as the xmt profiles and they pretty much all have the same settings easy to duplicate and rename then attach the correct tx profile with for the title operation.

I also have several test profiles where I experiment but all those clearly say test in the title so I don't confuse them.

In the future I will add digital ones also.

Took me 3 days to figure out this organization so I wouldn't mess up finding out the xmt profiles saved power by band was great I couldn't wrap my head around a global profile for band when band wasn't part of a global profile but part of persistence that didn't start the same place when the radio did, so now as soon as I start the radio I load a global profile.

I rambled on too long ... gotta go ... ymmv
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think we both came to the same understanding by experimentation. The manual should contain this level of instruction. But does not. I realize that the FRS team is very busy and hope that doing improvements in the manual will eventually be done. In actuality no other equipment provider is as open as FRS, which is very much appreciated. Pat
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    This community helps so much also!
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I agree

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.