Profiles/Memories - when to use each.

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
   We, the Community,  have talked about 'Profiles' and then talked about 'Memories' but I wonder why FRS gave us both. It seems to me that they might be combined into 1 storage area.  
   It would be interesting to hear some thoughts on that idea.  

I also have a question; Is it possible to backup the 'Memories' data?  I didn't see any reference to that procedure in the manual.

Tom W4TMW

Photo of Tom Warren

Tom Warren

• 59 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
You can perform a backup of the memory data by going to the Profile menu, then select "Import/Export Profiles" and be sure to select "Memory" on the export tab.  Click the "Export" button and select a location on your hard drive to save it.
Photo of Tom Warren

Tom Warren

• 59 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Robbie,
I've taken note of that and thanks for the explanation.....so we have to go to 'Profile' menu to save 'Memory'....interesting.  Tom W4TMW
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 754 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes
PROFILES:
I have several profile setup on my 6700.  An example of one would be "40m Nets".  This profile has 4 different slices defined across the 40m band.  They are nets or frequencies that I tend to hang out on on a regular basis.  I also have other profiles that have 4 different panadapters and all 8 slices defined.  This includes a few frequencies on the 2 and 6 meter bands.  I tend to use this profile to watch for band openings. 

MEMORIES:
Say I have my 40m Nets profile up and running and I want to hop onto 20 meters but don't want to loose my 4 slices I currently have up and running on 40m.  I open a panadapter, select 20 meters, open a slice and make it active.  Then I go into my memories and select what ever frequency I want to listen to.  I can click on any frequency in my memory list.  Works great and doesn't clobber my "40m Nets" profile I also have running.

Hope that helps!
Photo of Tom Warren

Tom Warren

• 59 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Norm,

After I set up some data in 'Memories' and started using it, it just seemed to me that I could use "Memories' for everything and have more room to add descriptions as an added benefit and discard the use of 'Profiles'. But your scenario is interesting, thanks.  Tom W4TMW