Profile Auto Save Discussion

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
We hear you.  Some of you don't like the Profile Auto Save feature.  I'd like to learn a bit more about what it is that you don't like. 

First, I want you to understand what prompted the change.  We had enough problems related to "losing" settings after they had set them up that we felt like we needed to change how this worked.  The scenario would go like this: They would load up a profile, then go change some settings and get things set just the way they wanted.  But they would forget to go save the profile.  Then they would change bands and end up on another profile.  What they didn't realize is that by not saving the profile, the changes would not be saved.  So when they returned, the original profile is loaded with all of their changes lost.  Bummer.  This was a common scenario and it played out over and over on our helpdesk.

So we sat down and put our heads together to figure out what we could do to help address this issue.  We thought through the scenarios of what people usually do with profiles and compared how changing settings works with other rigs.  The net of all of that is that most radios save changes to settings as soon as they are made and not surprisingly, most operators expect this behavior, barring any previous experience with our profiles.

What we came up with is the new Profile Auto Save feature initially rolled out in v3.0 (also included in v2.5 which will be released very soon).  The Auto Save feature works on both Transmit and Mic Profiles (but not Global Profiles, which are snapshots -- at least not directly. keep reading).  By allowing the user to create a profile based on the current settings, it allows easy creation of backup profiles (to return to if they don't want experimental changes to taint their setup).  And it saves changes to the associated parameters like output power and mic gain.  The net effect is that you can still return to a pristine profile if you like at any time and yet auto save keeps you from having to remember to save your profile and ultimately losing settings.

Note that if you want to keep your pristine profiles pristine, you should load them, then immediately create a derivative profile.  In other words, they are just a starting point that you use as opposed to a profile you actually operate with.

So that's where things were up until this weekend where I sat down and spoke with a customer at the Dayton Hamvention and had him explain what he didn't like about the Auto Save feature.  He was able to explain what bothered him.  Basically, we have trained the customers to use profiles (both Transmit and Global) and they are using them.  However, when they use load Global Profile called "40m CW HP", they expect the power to be set for their amp.  But the Global Profile is simply going to load the associated Transmit Profile and if the last use on that profile ended up bumping the power up, this can turn into a problem (e.g. they load the 40m CW HP Global Profile and key up to find that they have transmitted 100W into their amp -- not good).

So this is something that we will be discussing.  We would like to hear from you about other scenarios like this that have caused you problems with the new Auto Save functionality.  It is admittedly a different way of doing things and change can be hard.  I do think there are advantages to the way it works now in terms of not losing settings that many operators expect to be saved.  On the other hand, we aren't perfect and don't know it all.  So I'm sure we can improve on how it works.

To answer the question: Yes, we do care.  Yes, we are listening.  It is because we are listening that this change was implemented.

Note: For the sake of keeping this conversation clean, responses such as "I just don't like it" are likely to be removed.  We are looking for operational scenarios that describe specifically what it is that causes problems when using Auto Save.  It also helps if the responses are civil.  ;)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 875 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 503 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
What about this compromise. Profiles created and saved do not get updated unless get re-written by the user. Changes or tweaks made on the fly would then AutoSave to the same profile name but with an asterisk in front. All the original profiles remain unchanged and we then can select the AutoSaved (*) profile if we wanted. So there will the usual list of profiles in alphabetical order then a list below of said profiles with asterick in front of said profile that was tweaked and AutoSaved. This would solve both problems, the issue prior to AutoSave and the apparent dislike by some of the AutoSave feature as it sits currently.

You are prompted for nothing, your saved profiles are untouched and changes/tweaks get safely saved with a clear name distinction.

While discussing profiles,using the mouse pointer to scroll through the various profiles is awkward. PLEASE add mouse scrolling to the sidebar as with when you mouse over volume you can use mouse scrolling.

Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 332 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I get that your idea would preserve the original profile but I'm not sure why you would want to recall an autosaved profile. Would you remember what changes were made to it after a few days or weeks time.  I want to load a profile with known settings every time.  It would also double the file count and for folks with 50 or 100 profiles that would be a mess to sort through.  I would rather have a option to turn autosave on or off.
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
I would agree with Joe on this. I do not want anything extra written to my profiles. I would still like to be prompted somehow that a change has been made. I agree with Eric's comments about pop-ups with saving but it would not be an issue with me here.

Maybe three options to make everyone happy
1) Autosave profile changes
2) Do not autosave profile changes
3) Prompt to save profile changes.

Then everyone gets what they want.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 503 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Currently autosave modifies the currently selected profiles which is what prompted the thread. My suggestion simple renames what profile it saves to be adding an asterisk in front of the name thus preserving original saved profile. Though there is disagreement, there was a very good reason for adding autosave as stated by Eric. "problems related to "losing" settings after they had set them up".
The original or *autosaved profile could be recalled.
No annoying prompting necesary or needed.   Enabling/disabling *autosave feature would still be desirable for those who don't want new files automatically created.

Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 875 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I agree on the problems with accessing the profiles in the drop down list.  I added issue #7536 to address this.  Thanks for reminding me about this.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 875 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
FYI -- this issue was addressed today and will be going into the next Alpha release for testing.  Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1462 Posts
  • 738 Reply Likes

Would allowing specific features being "user locked" to avoid being changed by autosave allow the flexibility some users are looking for?

Would retaining the pre-updated profiles by copying them in the autosave process could have some merit too?

Expanded - I could as a user lock settings that while I might fiddle with them in a session, would not be overwritten in an autosave routine.  Sort of opting out of autosave for a specific purpose.

Then when I do trigger an autosave routine a backup gets shoved into a backup profiles folder with the date/time appended to the profile name.  

I would imagine the majority would run with autosave, but if I had something special in profiles to protect equipment or because I tweaked settings "just so" I could reduce the likelihood of losing those settings.

I'm undecided whether to suggest that a "user lock" has to be removed to allow any changes being saved, or whether a "user lock" just stops the autosave making changes to that setting.  Perhaps a "user lock" would require a confirmation step before the user could change and save a setting - basically protecting them from themselves?

Steve
K9ZW

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 875 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
I appreciate the ideas, but I'm thinking towards something simpler to keep it nice and clean.
Photo of Don Cunningham

Don Cunningham

• 36 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I'm still thinking an on/off option is the simplest, then both can do as they like.  Of course, I'm not a programmer and this may be less simple than it seems.  Thanks for the consideration though, Eric.
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 334 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Let's not overcomplicate this folks.  It's simple.  A global setting to enable or disable autosave.  Default set to enable.  Done deal.  Everyone wins ! 

No confusing file copies to understand or maintain, no annoying user prompts to deal with. 

Let's get some consensus on this soon so Flex can implement it.

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3798 Posts
  • 917 Reply Likes
I don't get the feeling Flex is looking for a consensus from us, only ideas. Eric and the team will sit down and look over our comments and decide what to do.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 928 Posts
  • 265 Reply Likes
More discussion is needed.  I MUCH prefer the idea of having changes saved for the duration of the profile load, but NOT permanently written to the profile.  This seems the most logical and useful approach and from my perspective, in this respect everyone winds.  thus if you want to revert you just reload the profile.  Simple.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1369 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
I agree with Chris’ suggestion. Make it persistent until next profile load.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 449 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Agree

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Team
Photo of Rich McCabe

Rich McCabe

• 1120 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
So basically undo the changes and go back to what it was before?
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 334 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
It already is persistent until the next profile load.  Not sure how your suggestion helps ?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3798 Posts
  • 917 Reply Likes
I still see the change on the fly panel as a really good thing, having all the settings show in one common place. It's just the way it is implemented.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 928 Posts
  • 265 Reply Likes
@Joe N3HEE:
Currently the changes are being written to the profile on the fly.  (In fact there is a way to revert now, by re IMPORTING a profile.)  Its an extra step and a bit cumbersome.  My desire is to basically define a currently selected profile as a "session".  during the "session" the changes are persistent, and will remain intact.  you can for instance, adjust your power on a band, switch to a different one, come back and have those adjustments remain intact.  But at any time I would want to revert back to the baseline instantly by simply re-selecting the profile.  In the next post I will give an example of why this makes sense.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 928 Posts
  • 265 Reply Likes
So.  lets say you are calling a dx station with an amp. You are using a profile you have dialed in for the amp.  you are calling so often that the amp heats up and your power drops, so you nudge it up a bit.  and.. boom you get the ATNO.  you shut down and go eat dinner.

You come back to your radio, and you call another station.. woah.. you are running 1600 watts.  OOPS.  (amp has cooled down.  more power out).  As it stands right now, you would have to re-adjust the power again, and that would again be written to the profile.

If you could just revert to your original settings be reloading the profile, you would be right where you need to be. 

now when you add multiple bands/slices/adapters to the mix you can see how in its current state you can easily loose control of all those settings you took lots of time to dial in.  It would be easier just to re-select the profile you dialed in, and you are back at your optimal starting point on all accounts, without the extra step of having to re-import your baseline.

Make sense?

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 928 Posts
  • 265 Reply Likes
So rather than updating the baseline profile, the changes after a profile load should be written to a currently loaded profile persistence file (rather than the actual profile itself) and maintained for the duration of the current profile load.  when you re-select the profile, that current loaded profile persistence file is reset, restoring all the hard work you have done dialing in your baseline settings.
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 132 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Please keep it simple guys! On/Off or it will never happen in near time.

Why complicate matters? Just for the sake of complicating things, or what?
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 334 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Chris, I understand what you are saying and yes it will work but it seems like alot of effort to make it happen in software tweaks. 

I just find it easier and more convenient to come back after dinner turn on the rig, and without doing anything, have my TX profile loaded and driving the now cold amp to 1500 watts.  When the amp heats up again I simply back the power down.  My profile is not overwriten.  This is how it currently works in version 2.49.

I guess we will see what Flex chooses to do.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 928 Posts
  • 265 Reply Likes
Joe I hear you.  My needs of course are a bit more demanding.  As an SO2R operator I am cqing on 2 bands at the same time.  If my amp gets warm and the power drops, If I make an adjustment, the next time I switch back and fourth.. my settings are lost with the old profile method.  Now at least I can remain persistent and not have to re-tweak constantly.  Its a PITA.  so having the perisistence per profile load session makes the most sense.  Lets leave the programming difficulty to the development team. 
Photo of Lasse Moell

Lasse Moell

• 120 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Some want to have the profle to autosave other want it to stay as it was from the beginning. Why not have a "file lock"-feature, if this is set, that specific profile cannot be overwritten, you may save as a new. If the profile is unlocked it do changes as per V3.
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 99 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Adding my vote for a simple on/off setting for the autosave feature as I would not like to use it, as it would change my 'golden profiles' settings , so I would need to double the amount of profiles I have the golden ones and the scratch ones, it's already complicated with mic profiles, global profiles, transmit profiles, already too complex to start with
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 367 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Make it optional with a selection button in the profile selection window. Orr have a pop up window that asks if you would like to save new settings.
(Edited)
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 247 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
I vote strongly for a setting on the radio setup tabs where a user can turn autosave on or off.
This would make SmartSDR happy for both camps of users.

Neal
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes

Here is a link to my post on the Auto Save issue a few months before v3.0 was public.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/question-about-tx-mic-profile-changes-in-v3

I'm sure there are a many ways to handle the auto save protocol I laid out a few ideas in my original post from a few months ago. In my opinion the simplest way would be to  just to add an on/off switch to SSDR and by default it is off until the user turns it on.

The more complex and elegant way is to have a temp file being written to in the background logging all the changes the user makes during their session, Then either the user can click a simple save button to instantly save changes or when the user exits SSDR it will prompt something like "Do you Want To Save Session Changes?" YES or NO.
If the user clicks YES the data from the temp file is saved to the users current profile.
If the user click's NO the temp file is wiped and no changes are saved.

Thank you Eric for engaging in this topic with us, I always feel the best communication is direct communication.
Photo of Matt NQ6N

Matt NQ6N

• 109 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Autosave sounds like a very smart change.  Can't wait to start using it. 
Photo of Michael Wheatley

Michael Wheatley

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Eric,  

Thank you for listening and replying to all of the arguments for an Autosave On/Off switch.  I was really hoping that part of the reason of the delay of SSDR V2.5 availability was that work was underway to provide this switch.  But alas V2.51 is now available without the switch.

I would really like to upgrade to the latest release, and to V3 when DDUtil supports it, but I cannot without the Autosave switch.  

What is your recommendation?  Is there any chance we will get the Autosave switch in either V2 or V3 in the next 2 or 3 months?

Michael -- KM6LHD
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 845 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Michael,

We appreciated the feedback and have already begun the design phase of how we will handle things.  Unfortunately, we were not in a position to complete this work in a timeframe that would make sense for this release.

I've learned over the years not to give estimates on how long something will take that is early in the design phase.  There are too many variables and too many following steps for me to be any good at guessing that target.  I can assure you that it isn't as easy as just adding an on/off switch.  :)  Suffice it to say that we have heard loud and clear that this is a desirable feature (disabling Auto Save) and that we are exploring how that will work technically.  Once we have something for you, we'll let you know.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
I have $199 burning a hole in my pocket and as soon as the Auto-Save feature gets the On/Off switch I will buy V3.0!
Photo of Robby

Robby

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have avoided adding to this list of ideas as I have only had my FLEX for a month so I have a lot to learn and little to contribute. I thought this profile set up was something I should look at so I created a transmit profile and called it 27W. I was naïve enough to think that when I used my amp I could select that profile and my power level would be 27W and it was for a while but eventually that reliance cost me! 

There is quite a learning curve to getting on the air with a FLEX radio. I don't mean it's steep but it sure is long. Most of my radio time is spent reading. I will not rely on profiles again until I understand them better. 

I think having the ability to disable autosave would be a very good thing.

Robby
HP3SS 
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3765 Posts
  • 907 Reply Likes
Robby, when you saved your profles, any time you sellect that profile you saved, all your settings will come up just as you set them.

In case of anything going wrong you can set the max transmit power to say, 30w. That way if anything happens it will never transmit over that power level.
Photo of Robby

Robby

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wrong.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 916 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Robby, I think that was a terminology mistake, I think what Bill meant is that you can re-import a saved set of profiles to get yourself back to where you need to be, as suggested by Eric W.   So when you have all your settings they way you want them, save that off to a file, and if you need to revert after making adjustments duing your session, simply re-import.  takes about 5 seconds.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3765 Posts
  • 907 Reply Likes
Chris, Robby said he created a profile called 27w. then when he sellected it, his settings were not there as he thought.

Robby, under the TX tab under radio settings, you can set your max power out to 27w. This will protect you from a mystake.
(Edited)

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 916 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
The best short term solution is to get the settings where you need them, export them, and then re-import if things get out of wack.  I have been doing this for years testing alpha versions of software that can have a wide range of effects.  If I need to, I to a clean reset and re-import.  Its not that difficult, works well and gets you where you need to be, quick.  Yes.  its an extra step.  but it works.  and its easy.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 916 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
and yes, setting a hard power cap in the radio settings is always a best practice.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 863 Posts
  • 319 Reply Likes
I agree with others here -- the recommended way to protect from overdriving hardware like an amp is to use the Max Power setting and not to rely on profiles or the persistence of a setting to protect you.
Photo of Tom W3FRG

Tom W3FRG

• 86 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
That's a fantastic idea IF YOUR AMP requires the same input power level on all bands.
I've never come across one of those amps to date.
My LDMOS requires an input power range from 5 to 20 watts over the HF bands the FRS operates.
Now, unless I've missed something, how do I set the MAX POWER setting to satisfy these conditions?

Resetting this value each time I change bands is an accident waiting to happen.

I'm really disappointed that Ver 2.51 included this error in programming. In reality its really designed for operators that don't/won't read the manual and cannot create a Profile. 

Tom W3FRG
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 687 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes

In SmartSDR go to SETTINGS the click on the TX tab at the bottom you will see the Max Power box.

Set your max power to 2 Watts.

You can always increase power as needed.
(Edited)
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1846 Posts
  • 670 Reply Likes
Hi Tom,
Similar situation here.  Still on V2.4.9 and have two profiles that have worked great for me for years.  My setup is very basic and the mode is always CW.  

• AMP ON - different power setting per band, it does also vary quite a bit. 
  • AMP OFF - set to preferred power for barefoot operation by band

Occasionally I'll tweak the power but don't want it to affect my profiles.  I like knowing I can rely on the profile values.  I don't see how setting the max power would work for me.  I wouldn't want to set it to the lowest "AMP / Band" setting and have to adjust it up for all of the other bands --  that would also require me to remember the setting for each band.   

Not a big deal for me to wait till the AutoSave ON / OFF switch is added before upgrading.  Sounds like there will be a 2.x and 3.x release eventually with this feature.  The Flex team knows that it is something many folks want so I don't doubt we'll see it eventually.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 676 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
My worry is that since it didn't make 2.51 version 2X users are out of luck. We'll have to pay $200 to keep our profiles from auto saving. I guess I'm stuck at 2.49.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
There just is no bases for being conserned about that.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 676 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
How about the fact that Flex has never released more than one final update after a new version is released. Seems like that is at least a tiny basis.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes

Eric KE5DTO,

I was thinking one of the benefits of the auto-save On/Off switch is it would be great for fast profile building.

The way I would use the Auto-Save feature is the following:

I would turn ON Auto-Save then go from band to band change all my setting to the way I like for each band and mode. Then just turn OFF the Auto-Save and ta-da... my radio is totally set the way I like and locked in.

Now if I want to fine tune my settings a bit I just turn Auto-Save On again and re-adjust my settings then turn Auto-Save OFF.

I could make all kinds of profiles for a multitude of applications like amp on, amp off, home qth, remote qth and so on.

This seems like a great way to build profiles very fast!

So in my opinion having the On/Off switch actually makes the Auto-Save feature even more powerful.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
BTW thank you again for working with us on this issue.
I think it's just awesome that us users can speak directly to an engineer at FlexRadio!!
(Edited)
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 260 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I would like things put back the way they were without autosave.  Pretty simple and somehow I am pretty sure that Flex could do that in about ten minutes.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
too late :)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3790 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
If only it was that easy. As you must know every thing they touch is never isolated. It effects other subsystems, and to change it back would mean a lot of testing over again, perhaps weeks. As Eric mentioned adding an off and on button could not make it into this last update because he said that even doing that is complicated.
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 260 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Flex made this change without any notice to the user community and with only the most cryptic explanation of it when actually implemented.  I think that it is quite clear that this was an ill-advised and poorly thought-out change, which essentially negates the value of Profiles.  If it takes "weeks" then let it take weeks.  This change needs to be unchanged.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3790 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
As I understand things, the reason for the discussion was to find out what is bothering some people about it, and now Flex is discussing the designe to make changes to how it works. There seems to be no indication the feature is being scraped.

I have found in the limited way I use my radio, it has little if any - effect on my station. I like having a place to see all my settings in one panel. I made changes to each row as needed and left it. I also saved my profiles to a file so I can go back to that any time. But I look foreword to seeing the new changes when they are finished.

I also beleive Flex has the right to implement any new feature with out a hearing.
It was a class act to ask for our opinions on how this feature could be improved.
Photo of wa4wab

wa4wab

• 20 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Sounds like FRS  may had  made this change in an attempt to reduce their ticket load without thinking it all the way through.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 928 Posts
  • 265 Reply Likes
Guys there are probably more helpful approaches than going on and on demanding this be reversed.  Not only is it NOT EASY, with many inter-dependencies, but power level persistence is a feature that is needed by a large segment of the community. Reversing it at this point would be difficult and a step backwards.  Adding the ability to enable and disable it would accommodate the largest group, and makes the most sense in the interest of the community. This had nothing to do with their ticket load.
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 260 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I respectfully disagree.  Having power level change on the fly into Profiles is a terrible idea.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3798 Posts
  • 917 Reply Likes
Roger, do we understand you correctly? you are not happy with the ability turn off auto save?

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 928 Posts
  • 265 Reply Likes
Yes Roger.. please help us understand. being able to turn it off would return the old functionality and retain the new if desired.  Help us to understand what you mean here, no one loses when you can have it both ways.
Photo of Michael Wheatley

Michael Wheatley

• 7 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 923 Posts
  • 260 Reply Likes
this thread seems to have exceeded its usefulness. 
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 676 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
The problem from my perspective is that I have no Idea where SmartSDR software development is going. For the first two releases of version 3 it doesn't have anything compelling for me. What will the next release bring....I have no idea. It might be wonderful new noise mitigation features that I will want immediately or a new automated ass scratcher so contesters don't have to set down their PTT.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3787 Posts
  • 913 Reply Likes
The one thing we do know, Gerald said that work on noise mitigation has already been started, that was many weeks ago.
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 259 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
That is good news.
Photo of wa4wab

wa4wab

• 20 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

My vote (if there is any) would be to have the on/off option, that way it solves both sides of the fence
(Edited)
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes

Eric KE5DTO,

There has been lots of negative comments about “Auto-Save” but I think there is a potential benefit to it especially if FRS adds the On/Off Switch.

I was thinking one of the benefits of the auto-save On/Off switch is it would be great for fast profile building.

I would turn ON Auto-Save then go from band to band change all my setting to the way I like for each band and mode. Then just turn OFF the Auto-Save and ta-da... my radio is totally set the way I like and locked in.

Now if I want to fine tune my settings a bit I just turn Auto-Save On again and re-adjust my settings then turn Auto-Save OFF.

I could make all kinds of profiles for a multitude of applications like amp on, amp off, home qth, remote qth and so on.

So in my opinion having the On/Off switch actually makes the Auto-Save feature even more powerful. And with the ON/Off Switch everyone is happy!

I think it's just awesome that us users can speak directly to an engineer at FlexRadio!!

(you are welcome to close this thread if you like)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Simple.  Some people like "autosave", some do not.  Please, someone, explain to me why users cannot choose which is their preference?  I prefer the way it has always been.  Why should I have to change my way of working?  It's not rocket science for heaven's sake!
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 658 Posts
  • 233 Reply Likes
New features that alter existing functions should include a disable switch. I, for one,  am a creature of habit and I'll wager many other ham ops are as well
Photo of Burch - K4QXX

Burch - K4QXX

• 519 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I didn't think I would like the new autosave feature as I've been a Flex adopter since the original Flex 1000.  However, I like the autosave feature so I hope they give us both options and don't go back to the old way.  I would always make changes and forget to save the profile.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1369 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
Food for thought, the new auto save function is like traditional radios where you change a setting and it sticks.

I see both sides of the fence on this issue. It will be interesting to see what evolves.

Dave wo2x
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
With the ON/OFF option it actually makes the auto save feature even more powerful.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3798 Posts
  • 917 Reply Likes
4 weeks ago several people mentioned an on off button for the auto save. Eric said that an on off button would actually be very complicated to do in SSDR. But he added, thats not our problem, it's thier's. All we can do at this point is wait to see what they come up with.
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
"But they would forget to go save the profile."  Doesn't that sum up the issue that started this farce? 

I'm sorry,  but if I used a stored profile and adjusted it for whatever reason, failing to update the stored profile would be an elementary and silly mistake on my part.

If I decided to try a few tweaks on my current configuration, but decided to not bother saving them, I would expect them to disappear when I next started my radio.

People have said words to the effect that "this is what happens with non-SDR radios.  You change the settings and that change stays put".  Is that not one of the great advantages of an SDR radio?  You can always, and easily, revert to your desired settings? 

Honestly!  If this terrible implementation has been put out there to help those who cannot remember to hit "save", I think it does a great dis-service to those who retain half a brain!
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes

Eric KE5DTO,

There has been lots of negative comments about “Auto-Save” but I think there is a potential benefit to it especially if FRS adds the On/Off Switch.

So in my opinion having the On/Off switch actually makes the Auto-Save feature even more powerful. And with the ON/Off Switch everyone is happy!

(you are welcome to close this thread if you like)
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Absolutely!  Default should (I think) be off though.  A very useful facility, but also a potential catastrophe for any user not aware that FRS has made such a radical change in order (it would seem) to save a few forgetful users the embarrassment of forgetting to save changes they have made to their configuration.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
Yes it should be set to OFF by default and let users decide if they want to use this feature and turn it ON.
(Edited)
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 260 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I will never want to use this feature.  Please make the default "off" so that this problem (and all it is is a problem, not a feature) goes away.
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 691 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
I think FRS got the message LOUD AND CLEAR, lets just give them some time to work on this and see what they come up with.

!!! I VOTE TO CLOSE THIS THREAD... PLEASE !!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.