problems with dax followin g update to 2.5.1 and windows 1903

  • 3
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
Flex 6600  I5 quad core new PC     N1MM+
Upgarded to 2.5.1 and Windows 1903. Messed up the DAX drivers. I have followed Tim Ellisons instructions, several times, including  uninstalling the DAX drivers in the 64kbit directory running as administrator. I have managed to get receive RTTY and PSK to work, but for some reason when looking at soundcard settings in N1MM, there is NO DAX TX showing, just lots of RX. TX seems to have disappeared.  Help greatly appreciated. Streaming is on in the DAX window, but no red bar showing.I have checked all the DAX channels on slice A, but only channel 1 will work on receive anyway.   I have done all the above lots of times, rebooting each time. I do have Teamviewer if that helps.           73 de Roger, G3LDI   
Photo of Roger Cooke

Roger Cooke

  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 months ago

  • 3
Photo of John, G3WKL

John, G3WKL

  • 42 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I had the DAX problem a couple of months back and Tim gave a great response from a Help Ticket


Good luck


73 John
(Edited)
Photo of Ray - K6LJ

Ray - K6LJ

  • 95 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hi Roger,
I have dax issues every time I do an update to windows. I had Tim help the first couple of times but now I am able to resolve things with a little effort. My issues have always revolved around renaming the dax drivers to be correct. I had  a slightly different issue this time. This time drivers were missing not just named incorrectly. I found that if the renaming during the update created drivers that had the same name then the the driver with the duplicate name would get hidden and disabled. I finally found two screens that would show which drivers were disabled so that I could rename them and only then enable them.

I will show several pics that hopefully show what I found. The first is the way I have always found it in the past. notice that all drivers were there but just named incorrectly. I mapped the ones on the left that were incorrectly named and showed after renaming to the ones on the right


Next this is what I found this time. Notice that the Dax IQ Rx1 etc were not even shown.

I finally found this screen that showed the drivers that were disabled and hidden.


Notice that these had been renamed respectively by the update process to the same as ones already in place. This is why they were hidden and did not show up. Each of these need to be renamed from DAX Audio RX 2 to DAX IQ RX 2 for example.. After they are renamed then they can be clicked on and enabled.

After renaming then I checked and found they were now correctly in place and renamed.
.


You can rename from this window



You can have  a hint as to what the name is supposed to be by looking at description below the incorrectly named driver name. Rename here.

In most cases I have found that just uninstalling and reinstalling the DAX drivers does not correct the issues unless you are lucky.

Of course Tim can do this very quickly as he has done it many times. It is getting easier for me now that I have done it several times and actually only takes a few minutes.

This last time I used Revo Pro to uninstall everything and made sure that all hidden audio devices ghosted were gone as well but still had the issue.

I have found for me it has always been about renaming the drivers.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Photo of Rick- K2RB

Rick- K2RB

  • 29 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thanks Ray for your helped.  It works   Had Tim do first computer and followed your guidance on two other devices.  Rick, K2RB
Photo of WB8YKH

WB8YKH

  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ray - New 6700 owner here and one week later Win 10 auto update broke things.  Glad to Google and find your well illustrated help.  Your screen shot listing the correct name / labels was a really nice check list that got me back working!   73'  Lloyd
Photo of Ray - K6LJ

Ray - K6LJ

  • 95 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Your welcome. It is regular every time I do an update. I looked on líne and disabled the auto update so at least i update with a time of my choosing. Makes a big difference. I just update when i know i have time. I backup my profiles then uninstall SDR and then the update. After reinstalling SDR i dont even start the program until i check the DAX names there is always 3 or 4 needing to be renamed.
Photo of WB8YKH

WB8YKH

  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Very helpful... will do... thanks!
Photo of steven

steven

  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Roger,

Thank you for the detailed explanation!  It saved me many hours!

All the best!

K2SAB
Photo of Wim

Wim

  • 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hmm I have the same problem after the windows 1903 update, even though I had completely uninstalled smartSDR and dax drivers before the update, but can'rt figure out the proper renaming, I do see that my Rx2 IQ is named wrong
Photo of Wim

Wim

  • 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Well after some more messing around I think I got it renamed properly now, at least my second DAX channel is working again ....
Photo of John, G3WKL

John, G3WKL

  • 40 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Well done, Wim. I'm dependent upon Tim and others at FRS. I'm still unsure about Tim's recommended pre-upgrade process - see my earlier post in this thread
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

  • 944 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes

Everyone talks of renaming a driver but never explains how one renames them.
Photo of Wim

Wim

  • 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
and Ray K6LJ mentions how to do it above as well just read his detailed steps