Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem with Flex Control - 6400 - SSDR 2.1.32

Art - N4QNT
Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I just made the transition from my Flex 5K with the Flex Control witch always worked perfectly.

After uninstalling everything off my Win10 machine via uninstall programs and deleting anything and everything off the Registry Editor pertaining to 3rd party software for the Flex 5FK and PowerSDR software.  So hooked up the 6400 connections, Flex control to the PC, installed the latest SSDR 2.1.32 everything went smoothly except periodically tuning across a band with the Flex Control it freeze's, stutters, lags.. I'll wait 10 or 20 secs then it starts reacting fine again. Of course I reboot the PC and Flex but it's like rinse and repeat the same problem... Any ideas??

Thanks, Art N4QNT

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    A comport conflict?
  • stevenab
    stevenab Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Watch the internet quality. I know on the maestro there are bars, to check quality.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Art

You should not have to delete everything as that seldom give you the result you wish.  

However, I would look in the Device Manager and review all your comports and make sure there are not conflicts.  The FlexKnob is a serial based device.

This can help:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200883925-Removing-Hidden-or-Ghosted-Com-ports

Also, you can follow up with this:  https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000504463-Removing-In-Use-Com-Ports-for-Availabl...

Mike

• Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It could the graphics processing in the PC. SmartSDR takes a lot more graphic resources than PowerSDR. My old core2Duo PC runs PowerSDR just fine, but will not run SmartSDR properly.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Joe

SmartSDR does use a lot less horsepower than PowerSDR as all the processing is done in the radio and not the computer like the FireWire series of radios do.  I find it interesting that you are seeing it the other way around and it sounds like you have some Windows issues that need to be looked at.

Mike 
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Michael I certainly agree with you that SSDR does not need the full resources of a PC like PSDR does, but if the new 64 and 66 use more internal resources maybe through firmware or software upgrades in the future it would be easy just to plug and play the Flex Wheel into one of the 2 USB ports on the back of the radio..
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Caused by Windows 10 constant updates and checking causes everything to slow to a crawl especially network amd internet. Worst thing Microsoft ever done to windows.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Wayne,  Like some others here, we have done a lot of work prying the covers off things to see what we get slow downs.   While Microsoft gets blamed for a lot, it isn't the case all the time and it takes some work to figure out just exactly what is going it.  The biggest slow down in laptops and desktops that I have seen is a failing hard drive.  The problem is, you just can't tell as it just gets slower as it is in a constant mode of repair.

As an example, for one of my friends, he said the same thing.  I took out his hard drive, cloned it to a new drive, and rebooted his computer.  His first words where... this is like brand new.  I have repeated this story for many friends.

Hard drives start to fail after 3 years and even sooner on laptops as they 'just wear out' and they just get slower as they wear out so you don't loose your data.

Your mileage may vary.

Mike

• N4UW- Luther
    N4UW- Luther Member
    edited February 2018
    Does SmartSDR use the same FlexControl USB driver as PowerSDR? If not, I would try unplugging the Flex Control, deleting the comport assigned to the FlexControl, and then plug the FlexControl back in to force the creation of a new comport with the new driver.  Doing so would likely give the FlexControl a new comport with a different number unless you delete the orphaned ghost port using the procedure linked above before plugging the FlexControl back in. I like to manually assign the FlexControl to com99 to keep it out of the way of other SmartCat port pairs.

My FlexControl works great with my 6400/SmartSDR 2.1.32 combo on an i7 Haswell desktop PC, but I did not have PowerSDR previously installed on the PC.

Good luck!
    Luther N4UW
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I will try that, great info... Thank you
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So just a heads up on my findings with this issue, I'm leaning towards Win-10 problem.. I just installed an extra 120 gig Solid State drive to my Tower I configured Dual Boot to the newly partitioned drive and installed good old faithful Win7 Pro.. This will be my FLEX only hard drive via SSDR.. For the last few hours the Flex Control has been Flawless.. I'm thinking most likely comport conflicts and bloated Win10 causing issues... Sorry but Win7 is my favorite IBM/OS but., can't wait for SSDR for IOS Mac...  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Art, take a look at this HelpDesk article.  And try different USB ports if you haven't done so already.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118458-How-to-Mitigate-FlexControl-Latency
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Great thank you for that info Tim
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Tim, Thank you for the info.. Went back to Win10 on my other Boot Partition, changed USB ports with Flex Control, everything has been running smooth has silk now... 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.