Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem with DDUtil and anplifier keying

Bill Turner
Bill Turner Member
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software

Running a Flex 6300 and Alpha 9500. Latest software. I got DDUtil up and running, works fine when fist started up but quickly stops keying the 9500. When I say stops, I mean stops dead. The only way to get it to key is reboot the computer, the 6300 and the 9500. This is a real hard case. Simply restarting SmartSDR or DDUtil will not fix the problem.  I'm about ready to give up on DDUtil. Any suggestions?

73, Bill W6WRT

Comments

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hi Bill

Welcome to our little club!

You could probably recover the PTT port by quiting SDRCat and restarting it. One thing that happens is that people forget that for PTT they have to have SDRCat running all the time (just like DDU). They will close the SDRCat window instead of hiding it and the PTT ports have disappeared.

• Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited January 2017

I wish it was that easy. It doesn't matter if I close and restart SmartSDR, reboot the 6300 itself, reboot the Alpha 9600 or perform various Satanic Rituals. The only way to get the amplifier keying back is to shut off EVERYTHING and start over from scratch. Oddly enough, DDUtil continues working in all other respects. Band changes work, amplifier parameters such a Ip and Ig continue to be reported, etc. Only the amplifier keying stops.

Am I the only one having this problem?

73, Bill W6WRT

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hi Bill

I can almost promise you that its either SmartCAT is not running or needs to be restarted. When it happens next, send me an email  at nealk3nc@gmail.com and let me connect via Teamviewer. I can help you figure it out!
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Bill,  let me ask a clarifying question first! How are you sending PTT key to the amp? Are you using the ptt RCA port on the radio itself or are you passing PTT virtual comm port  to the 9500 control program?
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited January 2017
    I am using the RCA PTT on the back of the 6300.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    On the DDUTIL main window is the third button from the top right Green "OPER" or Yellow "STBY" by chance? Should be GREEN if it's YELLOW then it has the RCA PTT Jacks turned off and simply clicking on it toggles it between operate and standby. 73's Bret WX7Y
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes, it was green all the time.
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited June 2020

Just found something interesting. If I start SmartSDR and DDUtil, the amp keying problem starts right away, although everything else on DDUtl works ok, i.e. band changes, parameter reporting and so on. However, if I invoke one of my saved profiles such as RTTY 20 meters, the amp starts keying again and continues for the rest of the session. Does that make any sense?  At least I know how to work around the problem for now.

73, Bill W6WRT

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It makes sense if the key line is getting shut off in the radio setup until you pick that profile that you have saved with it turned on.image
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Boy this rings a bell, I did have a very similar problem turned out I had a glitch in the radio's default profile, I had this problem several months ago so I forgot about it. I hard reset the Radio and loaded a backup profile which I always have on hand of a known good profile or restore the settings manually. learned to always keep a backup in a safe place clear back in the early FLEX5K days. Your mileage may vary. 73's Bret WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.