Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem Recording WAV Files with Flex 6600M

Al Dewey
Al Dewey Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I listed a similar question as a "Question" but received no response either here or on the N1MM Reflector so I will try it again listing it as a "Problem".  

I am simply trying to record some .WAV files using the Mic plugged into my Flex 6600M and the DAX interface with my computer.  I have tried both N1MM + and Audacity with similar results.  I define the Microphone as "DAX Mic Audio (Flex Radio Systems) and the playback device as DAX Audio TX (Flex Radio Systems) with the CODEC box checked

My DAX Control Panel shows audio in the MIC Stream when I am talking.  However, when I play the WAV file just recorded, there is no audio in the TX Stream and the WAV file has no audio in it.   I am certain that I have the WAV file identified and located correctly because, if I replace it with an good WAV file (using the same name and location), I can play the WAV file and I hear (and see) it in the TX Stream.

I try the same thing with Audacity with the same result.

If I use a separate microphone plugged directly into the computer, all works fine.  But if I try to record with the microphone plugged into the radio (and use DAX Mic Audio), it does not work.

Something must be missing but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

I am using version 2.3.9 of Flex Software.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Al, K0AD

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Al, I am sorry I have read your question but not having an M model I don't know what the answer is. I am wondering how you are connected to your computer to get the audio in and out?
    On a non M radio it's easy.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Why does it matter whether its a M or non M radio?  I do not think it makes a difference... He is using DAX.

Andy
    KU7T
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have not tried (not a big SSB guy) but will when I get home. Usually the DAX channels can be used just like a normal sound device. Check if some of these links help:
    http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=FAQ+-+Troubleshooting+Soundcard+Issues

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Stored+Messages+and+the+Function+Key+Message+Editor#Reco...

Andy
    KU7T
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Al, you didn't say if you are seeing the audio waveform in Audacity as you are recording. You should clearly see the waveform as it records, and it should be nearly full scale on the graph. I would recommend that you set the Audacity playback device to be the Windows Speaker/Headphones until you get it working. This way, you can listen to your recordings on the PC.

In the Audacity front-panel drop-down, I have selected DAX Mic Audio as the mic input from my Flex 6500. Recording should be set to (Mono). Also check the Audacity Mic gain slider. After recording, I edit the recordings to eliminate dead time before and after the desired audio track. When done, I save the file in my WriteLog Wavefiles folder for use in the contest. N1MM+ works similarly for selecting pre-recorded wavefiles.

In an earlier post, you said you pressed the foot switch to record. This should not be necessary. I don't know if that would prevent recording, but you should not need to do it.

This process makes very natural-sounding audio, virtually indistinguishable from live.

• Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Craig;

No - I do NOT see the audio waveform when I am recording in Audacity.  However, I DO see the MIC Stream modulating in the DAX Control Panel when I talk but only if I have PTT (i.e. foot switch pressed).  If I engage the VOX on the 6600M, I do not need to press PTT and the radio will modulate while I am talking.  Still, I do not see the waveform in Audicity.

If I change the Microphone in Audacity to something else (the WebCam microphone for example), I DO the audio waveform in Audicity no problem.  And I can play it back through the radio.

But, of course, my intent to is use the 6600M microphone so the recorded message and my talking during the contest will sound the same.

It;s got me stumped so far.

Al, K0AD

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I tried it this weekend and here are the steps that worked well for me. Hope I included the step that you left out :-)

N1MM+ setup/Logger+ Audio Setup:
    Message Recording: DAX MIC Audio (FlexRadio System)
    Playback: SO1V/SO2V: Single Soundcard + DAX Audio TX (FlexRadio Systems)

DAX control:
    TX stream control ON
    Mic Stream control ON

Flex TX settings:
    MIC: pick a good profile, for recording disable Proc, then turn it back on, otherwise you compress twice
         Level so you just touch the 0dB
    DEXP: On, at 60%

Recording in N1MM+:
    type OPON in your call sign box to make sure you record the files under correct operator
    Press foot switch, then hit CTRL+Shift+Fn, then speak, then hit ESC
    (optional) use Audacity to crop silence at the ends. Or just be really fast while recording
    hit Fn keys to test
    turn compressor back on.
    go make some contest Qs...

Andy
    KU7T
  • Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Andy;

Thanks but still does not work.  My settings exactly match what you describe above.  

By the way, my TX stream says "TX" not "ON" as you indicate.  Is that correct?

Again, I think it is a record problem.

When I press CTRL - SHIFT - F1 and talk, I see the following:

1) The audio waveform DOES show up on the FLEX 6600M panadapter display.

2) I DO see audio streaming under the Mic Stream on the DAX Control Panel.

3) I DO NOT see an indication of audio on the N1MM+ "Audio Setup & Monitor" display (under the Monitor tab).  I DO see the "Recording Started" and "Recording Ended" messages.

4) I DO NOT see audio streaming under the TX Stream on the DAX Control Panel.

When I then press F1,  I see:

1) NO audio waveform on the Flex 600M panadapter display.

2) NO audio on the MIC or TX stream on the DAX Control Panel.  However, the white message under the TX stream changes from "Streaming" to "Transmitting".

I am wondering if this might be a Windows Update issue.  On July 9th, I accepted a Windows 10 update to version 1803.  Coincidentally, this was the same day (or close) to when  I updated to Flex 6600M Version 2.3.9.112.  As I recall, DAX did not install smoothly.  I had to uninstall and re-install DAX multiple times before it took with no errors.  

Not sure what else it could be.  It all worked prior to July 9th.

Al, K0AD

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Are you trying to record both sides of a QSO? If so I can show you how I do it on my 6700.
  • Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Andy and all;

I finally got this issue resolved.  It turned out to be a bad install of the DAX Drivers.  Don, N4ZZ offered to help me find the problem.  All the N1MM+ setup and Flex 6600M setup was fine and matched his.  He then suggested I look at the Windows Sound properties for the various DAX drivers (TX, MIC, RX, and IQ).  We noticed that, when I looked at the properties of the TX and MIC drivers when calling up Windows SOUND properties, no audio was indicated on the little bar graph when I spoke.  I overlooked checking this because the indicators on the Flex DAX control panel DID show audio when I spoke so I thought all was well.

Thinking back, I did have some issues installing SMART SDR version 2.3.9.  After the install, I would get "driver errors" when calling up the DAX application.  I resolved this solution be uninstalling and reinstalling each of the TX, RX, MIC, and IQ DAX drivers.  But they must have not installed correctly even though the error messages went away.  When I re-installed these four drivers today, it took me multiple times.  I would uninstall / reinstall one of the drivers and there would then be a driver error in one of the others.  After several installs and many re-boots, everything must have finally took as it is working fine now.

Thanks again for all who helped me on this.

Al, K0AD

• Al Dewey
    Al Dewey Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    No - that is not what I am trying to do.  Thanks anyway.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

Hi Al.  Glad you got it working.  BTW - I am now a Flex 6600M owner.  I did what you are trying to do this past weekend for the NAQP SSB contest.  I was able to record some audio files in Audacity for voice keyer macros in N1MM.  It worked great and was a very handy tool to have.  I'm really liking the Flex ecosystem.   -Joe N3HEE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.