Problem --6700 with a high noise level

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
My 6700 has suddenly developed an S6 noise level , from a normal level of S3. the screen is showing about -108. 
This noise level is still there at the same level when I switch to a dummy load.

Testing my 6500 to determine if it is a local noise problem, the 6500 is perfect showing a normal noise level of approx -125 into the antenna  (difficult to exactly ascertain due to the noise on the 40m band) and a reading of about -132 into a dummy load, about what I would expect.
Antenna the same in both instances, and RF gain set at 0 for both the 6700 and 6500.

Both rigs set to LSB with a bandwidth of 2.7k.

Any ideas as to what has caused the problem, (or what is likely to have failed) with the 6700)

Thanks
Ross
ZL1WN
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2096 Posts
  • 497 Reply Likes
did you do a factory reset yet?
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 447 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Have you done a FULL Factory reset on the Radio? You may also want to add to your posts what version of SmartSDR firmware your running, if your running 2.0.32 and it starts working after a FULL factory reset then you may want to down grade to 2.0.30 and try it for a while and see if the problem goes away, if not then you may have a hardware issue and you need to do a HELP Desk ticket. 

Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 120 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the ideas, I have tried a full reset, it did not work, no change in the noise level. I am using the latest Smartsdr on both the 6700 and the 6500, without a problem till now.
Ross
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just loaded 2.1.30 and did a factory reset, unfortunately the noise on the 6700 has not changed.

Thanks
Ross
ZL1WN
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 326 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Ross,

Does your issue happen on both antenna ports?  It's possible you you might have had a ESD protection diode failure from any type of static discharge.

Cal/N3CAL
(Edited)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 953 Posts
  • 333 Reply Likes
That would be my suggestion.  My ANT1 is ESD blown on my 6500 and it looks really strange, but the ANT2 is great.
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately the noise is on ANT 2 as well.
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 326 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Ross forgot to ask if RX on transverter port has high noise floor as well?

Cal/N3CAL
Photo of Yuri, RT5A

Yuri, RT5A

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Cal !
How to contact you by email ?

Yuri/RT5A
(Edited)
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 326 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Hi Yuri,  I'm good on QRZ...

Cal/N3CAL
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi all,
Thanks for the advice, however it seems I have found the problem.
I disconnected all items attached to the 6700 with no effect on the noise, and it wasn't until I bypassed the 8 Pak antenna switch I use for different antennas, that the 6700 returned to normal.
It would seem that input A on the 8 Pak has developed a fault, input B from the 6500 is ok.
That explains why the 6500 looked perfect but the 6700 had a problem.
Luckily I also have an * way switch from 4o3A, so I have connected the cables to that unit and all works again. The 6700 is back to its normal noise level.

Regards to all Ross
ZL1WN
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2087 Posts
  • 496 Reply Likes
Ross,,wow great news, nice find. As this would be such an uncommon problem,,,high noise... I was really running out of ideas.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 529 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
This points up a common problem which we all have...an immediate reaction to blame the radio for what are actually external issues.  Last night I was trying to check into the Iowa 3970 evening net, using the 6500 and the Maestro from our porch, rather than my usual setup of the 6400 here inthe shack.  Net control could barely hear me, as was also the case with a neighboring ham.  I was suspecting a microphone problem with the Maestro.  At my neighbor's suggestion, I changed locations and radios and was 59.  Going back up to the porch, connected to the other radio, I was still 59.  It turned out to be a bad antenna cable going from the 6500 to the Alpha Delta switch i use to switch the antennas between radios, nothing to do with the 6500 itself.  The only moral of the story is to eliminate all external possibilities before blaming the radio or SSDR.  As our stations grow more and more complex, the chances of such gremlins grow exponentially.