Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Probably this is a frequent: digit-modes software suggestion ?

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Even I have long time as a Ham Radio Amateur, I haven't have any interesting in digit modes, Until Now!....with all my respect this question is for anyone: which digit-modes software would you suggest for a newbie?

Thanks, and 73's

George
YV5WZ

Answers

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    May I suggest either PSK31 or RTTY.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Member
    edited December 2019
    George,
    Kinda depends I think on how deep into it you want to go.
    Software called FLdigi works very well and seems to play nice with the Flex units.
    What Flex are you using?
    You can look at this link ( http://www.w1hkj.com/beginners.html) for info on FLdigi and then a Google search on Digital Modes will keep you busy for hours.
    Also lots of digital group forums on the net to help you along.

Search on this community will bring up lots of Digital mode info.

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Richard!....which software you use for decode?

Thanks again!

George
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    As to software, I would recommend FLDigi. It does it all except the JT modes and SSTV and is fully supported and is under active development. Very helpful Yahoo group.

Personally, I will not use abandonware if possible which is why I do not touch MMTTY. Somebody did pop up once claiming that the software was still being developed, but as the last release was nearly 5 years ago, you can decide.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    WSJTX for the JT modes
    Fldigi for most of the other modes.
    FreeDV plugin for digital voice.

73 Jay - NO5J

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Chuck!

I have Flex-6300
    I will look at your suggestion 

73's and Thanks

George
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Guy!

I appreciate your suggestion
    I will keep myself away from abandonware ;-)

73's

George
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thank you very much Jay

I have already installed FreeDV...although I haven't used yet

WSJTX is easy to work with Flex?

George
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    WSJT-X works a treat with Flex. Any probs and you can get help here. I have had a few issues and have learnt a lot from then. Still a way to go. The main problem is not either falling asleep in between overs or daydreaming, hi hi.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    George,
    I have been using HRD for over 20 years and have had excellent results. Although now you have to pay to play but it is worth every penny.  It supports 99.9% of the mode without you having to download it from a website. It's all inclusive. In other words all the software modes are part of the program,
    You just install, setup and play. 
    I have used FLDigi, MixW and many other but, I still find HRD to be the best for my operations.
    And it works very well with the Flex radios!
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Ernest....

I apologize, I Will take advantage  from your experience with HRD, I downloaded a Trial version...But I think I got scared with 3 or 4 windows which "pop" open after set up.....Question: 1.- do you use Smart SDR  for working or is needed and mandatory to use HRD for everything even for phone contacts. 2.- Do you have any knowledge about bugs between Smart SDR and HRD? 3.- Is needed any additional cable to connect Flex to PC ?

Thank you & 73's

George
    YV5WZ

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    No additional cables are needed to connect HRD to SmartSDR

BTW... Ernest is quite the expert on HRD and Flex.. and I believe he speaks Spanish so he might be able to answer you in your native language which will make things much clearer. 
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just an Ethernet cable....
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks!  Pat....
    Not many Flex Owners down here...
    and many people was telling to me about some cables I had missed...

Thanks & 73''s

George
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    George 

Yes WSJTX works great with SmartSDR. It's fairly simple to setup, You will need to setup SmartSDR CAT and  select a SmartSDR DAX channel and then Select the same in WSJTX settings. Which you will need to do for almost any digital program.
    Just ask if you have trouble, Quite a few of us should be able to help.
    73, Jay - NO5J

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hey Jay

I just installed both....and I'm setting up FLDIGI. My Flex sound comes from a Bose Companion speakers plugged at back of F-6300. Which source I should  take   a) port audio or B) I/O.....if Port audio....dax 1? or what  :-P
    I feel a little Dummie with this :)

Thanks

George
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Howard, 
    I'm much humble than that.  I am better than some but just as good as many others.

George,
    Try the trial version, maybe you'll like.      
    It does take time to setup because you are setting many parameters. However, if you take the defaults it will put you on the air with very few interaction required from you.

Later on when you become familiar with the software you can make improvement to the program and the different modes etc...

Regarding,"is it mandatory to use HRD  for phone etc..." The answer is NO. I mainly use HRD for the programs it has; plus logging, QSL'ing, interfacing hardware to operate SmartSDR, and many other. And as Howard said, no external wires necessary.   

I prefer to use SmartSDR for the radio GUI; HRD radio GUI is simply UGLY and it has too many little boxes to bring up.  There are program that you can load for free that can make life with HRD easier and that will bypass this HRD GUI.

Now looking into the future when Flex starts inter-grading or the ability to: There will be no need for HRD.

Requerdo y un abrazo ... W4EG 

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hey Ernest

After walking around I finally buy HDR 2 weeks ago....I'm newbie with HDR and I'm just learning to use it.....I was trying to setup to prints labels....but software stop and show it has a problem with MFC (HRD MFC Application is Not Responding)  and close ...this happens only when Im going to print...any idea?....

Thanks

George 
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited December 2016

MMTTY is "abandonware"?  First I have heard of it. MMTTY is widely used by the RTTY contest crowd and they are very fussy about their software, I assure you.  MMTTY is rarely used by itself since it integrates well into third party software. It is often used in conjunction with a program called 2Tone, with both running simultaneously, which gives you a wide choice of decoders and filters.  For non-RTTY modes, it is hard to beat fldigi, as others have pointed out. In all cases, you must use AFSK as SmartSDR does not yet do FSK.  Also, no need to pay  for logging software. The DXLab Suite is totally free, highly capable, well supported and comes in a number of modules which all talk to each other. Use as few or as many modules as you like. If you get into RTTY contesting, N1MM Logger+ is also totally free, highly capable and well supported. Google for discussion groups on all of the above.

73, Bill W6WRT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.