Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Price of Upgrading to the 6600 from a 6300

Delbert McCord
Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
Does anyone know what the (ballpark) price of upgrading to the 6600 from a 6300 is going to be? I have been reading here for a few hours and seeing fan issues with the 6300's with no real fix in sight. I think I remember seeing a post about the 6600 rigs not having fans on the CPU, is that true? Is it a direct replacement for the 6300? 

Now that I am semi retired (health reasons) I finally have the time to play on the HF bands. I purchased a couple 6300's when they came out used them a little for QSOs but mostly monitored while I was working. Now that I am using them I had a fan problem. 

I did not do much reading here (worked a lot) but now I am and I read about others having fan issues. As I read I find I should have taken the rig apart and clean it (which I did not do, I will do it from now on) and in my home we have 6 cats (non allowed in my shack) 2 dogs (hang out in my shack with me) and a Rabbit that used to live in my shack downstairs until my knee starting giving me trouble and now lives upstairs (its addicted to food and water). 

My Home 6300 now will live in my Pole Barn in my man cave I built to load ammo in. I do my brass tumbling out side but I still have my Dog and she is out there 15 yours a day with me, that will not change! 

Is the 6600 a upgraded 6300? Does it work basically the same, computer connected through the cat5 cable and slice receivers? 

My real problem is now that I have had some time to really learn about my Flex and use it I really like it, I am at my cabin tonight meeting a service guy for the Furnace tomorrow and I just checked into the 80 meter net with the backup rig IC-746Pro which is a good rig but its no Flex 6300 (I took the Cabin Flex home when the one at home started giving me problems last time I came up here to mow the lawn).

So is upgrading to the 6600 at least for home a wise thing to do?

Answers

• Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Oops I think I should be comparing to the 6400
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    As far as I know, the new models will have the fans as well.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No,,the new models have passive cooling,,,
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Price wise, you can call me in the morning at the main number, option 1, and I will be glad to discuss it with you.

Mike

• Manuel - W4SSB
    edited August 2017
    Tim said the new models have passive cooling on the CPU and FPGA. Do we know if the PA also has passive cooling?
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

This information on the 6400/6600 PA fan was previously posted:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/new-model-fan-noise-level?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

Official Response

The air flow dynamics for cooling the radios have changed in the 6400/6600. It should be quieter since we are using a larger fan.

It is a three wire computer case type fan. 80mm I believe.

You might also look at these comments on upgrading from the 6300 to the 6400:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-from-the-6300-to-the-6400
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    My best "ball park" guess is the cost of the radio on the Flex page minus $1200 for your 6300 as a trade in.
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tim,

Thanks.

I've never cracked open my 6300 but the noise it makes sounds like there are two fans. The most irritating fan runs constantly and cools the FPGA or ADC (I believe).

The other one is the PA fan that kicks in when/if needed.

First, is that even accurate, or is it one fan being ramped up when needed? 

Second, what's the fan scheme in the 6400/6600, besides "quieter?" I.e., one fan or two?

Thanks a lot, really appreciate the info,

Rob 
    N4GA

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Rob, from what I read, bigger fans in the new models make it quieter.
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Rich,

That would be nice. I love the 6300 and don't need any more radio at this point, so not looking to upgrade.

But the fan noise is an embarrassment. The constant one, I don't care about the PA - I output like 5 watts into a LDMOS amp so it never comes on.

As soon as I'm off warranty, which may be now, not sure, I'm cracking that baby up and taking a look at quieting options. Maybe there aren't any decent ones..who knows.

Rob 
    N4GA

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I started with a 6300 and upgraded to 6500 shortly after.  My 6300 was noisy as well but was tolerable.  the 6500 is much quieter and hoping the 6600m I have on order is better yet.

Rich
    kd0zv
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thank you everyone that gave me information. I have now ordered a 6400. 
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    QSL
    Rob 
    N4GA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.