Preamp settings in Flex 6400M

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Dreadful band conditions this weekend.  I was curious what preamp settings most Flex 6400/M users typically use.  I would love to experiment but since band condx are so bad can't really do so.  So I was hoping to get an approximation of what settings most of you use.  I've been using -8 on 40M and 0 on 20M.  
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 263 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 63 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Here is a great article describing when/how much preamp or attenuation should be applied.  You won't need good band conditions to try this out!

Chuck
https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204923669-How-to-determine-the-amount-of-RF-Preamp-...
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 263 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Thanks, Chuck.  In another thread they indicated that the 6400 typically needs more preamp than the 6600.  This article seems to indicate the opposite.  Which is correct?
Photo of Chuck - W9WLX

Chuck - W9WLX

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm not sure about 6400/6600 differences, but I believe following the steps will give the correct use for your radio.  Any differences between models should be reflected in your findings.
Photo of HCampbell  WB4IVF

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 298 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes

Thanks for posting the link Chuck!  This is a very informative update that addresses concerns regarding 6400/6600 sensitivity that have been raised.

Howard