pre-purchase: Reviews and comparison, 6600 vs. Icom 7610 ?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I am still trying to decide if I will purchase a Flex-6600 or an Icom-7610 in ~30 days.   Now that the 6400 and 6600 have been shipping a while, I was hoping to find more than 5 really short reviews on eham.net.  There are 48 for the Icom 7610.   I also tried googling for Flex 6600 vs. Icom 7610 comparison, but could not find anything.     Does FRS themselves have any comparison literature from their marketing department?   (I had thought with ham-vention coming up, that perhaps maybe some good competitive sales/marketing info had been put together?)

Since each of us has different usage patterns and different focuses in the hobby, there is really no "Better or Worse" rig, but there *IS* the one that matches more of the features that matter to you specifically.   If I could find some detailed reviews, or a detailed feature comparison, it could help me decide which rig matches more of my specific "tick boxes", for example.

I am aware, from others of you here (thanks), that the 30 days try-or-return policy exists.
Call me slow, but it takes me more than 30 days to vet all the features in a new cell phone, let alone an amazingly complex SDR radio.  So I simply prefer to learn what I can from FRS and new owners here before pulling the trigger.

I really really wish that Flex had a volunteer referral database of Ham's in each zip code willing to answer questions or demo their rig.  Short of putting a few rigs at radio stores or demo sites, that would really help.  I  would LOVE to speak with a 6600 owner on the phone, or visit one for a demo.   The least they could do would be to set up a west coast and east coast demo location so people could drop by a see one in action.

Thanks for being patient with me :-)

Neal  -  N6YFM
Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 255 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
  • feeling like maybe buying

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
I have been watching this post carefully since it started because I know that whenever someone asks to compare a Flexradio product directly with a competitor, there is ample opportunity for anarchy to break out.  Fortunately, this wasn't the case an I applaud everyone for being mostly civil and providing constructive comments and correcting unfactual information when it was posted.  In the end, I think Neal received a plethora of information to digest while making his buying decision.  But I think it is time to bring this to an end because most of the pertinent and applicable information has been provided and it seems that the post may take off on other tangents having nothing to do with the question posted (exercising and 10-year-old YouTube vids).  So I think it's time to close this post.  Thanks to everyone who participated.  Have a great evening.  Hope to hear you on the air.  73.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.