Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Praise for Flex 6500

Brian Morgan VK7RR
Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
Just recently I have been without my Flex 6500 whilst it returned to its parents for a little treatment. In its place I have been using a borrowed Kenwood TS2000 rig. I had not used a steam powered radio since the advent of the Flex 5000. The one stand out is that the noise reduction in the Flex is streets ahead of the Kenwood.  The bench performance of both radios in perfect conditions, was similar although the 12db sinad on the Flex was close to 2dB better than the Kenwood. However on air, on 6 metres, the Kenwood really struggled with high band noise. Resolving audio was quite difficult, whereas I have never had this problem with the Flex. I tried reducing RF gain to try to improve signal to noise, but it also had little effect on resolved audio.

I suspect that those of us who use Flex radios, have become complacent and don't realise what a great radio we have.

Oh and did I mention how frustrating it is not to have a Panadapter to keep an eye on the part of the band I am using?

Finally, thanks to Flex for their one week turnaround of my radio. Their service could not have been better. 

Comments

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Brian, please keep in mind that the TS 2000 has been around for a very long time; probably since the late 80's.   I have both a Flex 6500 and now a TS-990.    The noise reduction on the Kenwood is much better although I still prefer the Flex overall.    Flex filters are better and the Panafall display is light years better than the TS 990.......and the Flex did not cost $ 8,000.00 either.   73, Jim
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    "steam powered radio" LOL, I love that phrase. SPR vs SDR
  • James Del Principe
    edited November 2018
    I did this for an FT-2000 and it did work well.    I used an SDRPlay model RSP-1A and tapped into the 69.450 MHZ IF.    You can use free software from the SDR Play site. The one I like is SDR Uno but there are others offered as well.   I am not sure what the first IF is on your TS-2000 but I'm sure others can comment on that.   73, Jim 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well this is a good post.  Those of us who have Flex radios get nit picky about this or that thing that doesn't work quiet right but if you step back and look at the big picture these are pretty nice rigs.

I officially blame Flex Radio for my new disease.  I have acquired NoPanAdapterItis which is defined as the inability to enjoy radio without a pan adapter.  I fear it is getting worse.

I went to HRO recently and was playing with some radios on display and found myself shaking somewhat that I could not see the pan on any of them.  Their 7610 was not on and someone was looking at it with a sales person.  The pan on a 7300 honestly did little more than make me shake a little less.

Its a serious condition!   It got so bad that I had to have a backup Flex radio.  My 6300 serves as my backup remedy to NoPanAdapterItis when my 6600 is unavailable as it is right now.

I have said it before that I don't TX all that much.  I spend quite a bit of time visually examining the spectrum and Flex makes that so easy.
  • James Del Principe
    edited November 2018
    Do a direct comparison of the panadapters  sometime.   Amazing what difference there is.   I am not sure the others are even worth while.   There does not seem to be enough dynamic range in the others to display a signal unless it is very strong. The flex will show a weak signal on the panaramic display or the waterfall if it is even slightly above the noise level.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    ts2000 first hit the market around year 2000 hence the name of the model# I had 2 of them and nether one was a great H.F.radio however it did everything well just not great on H.F.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    In the early 80's I tapped the IF in my TS-520 and installed an RCA Jack in the back. I was using a Heathkit SB-610 or 620 scope so I could see a DX pileup (way before DX clusters.) It was a cool tool for it's time but it just nothing like today's Flex Radio.
  • James Del Principe
    edited November 2018
    Clay, I recently connected an SB 620 to my R-388 boat anchor receiver.... fun but the first word that comes to mind is: crude.   Of course, so are all my old receivers: HQ 170 A, and SX 28 A ....    and DX 100 B transmitter.... but what a blast to operate.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Definitely crude but at the time it was a wow addition!
    I was awed and amazed by that as I am with today's Flex 6K.

Funny you mention, I had an HQ170A and my first rx/tx was an SX28 and DX60.
    Similar beginnings.
  • James Del Principe
    edited November 2018
    SX28 was the first communications receiver I ever saw. Was my Uncle's who was - get this - W2SOL. I am not kidding.   I was very small and cautioned not to enter his shack.... He had a BC610 for a transmitter.   I just had to buy an SX28A when it became available. It is the most classic receiver design I have ever seen.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I hope the Feds never find out about Flex users. I am powerless over my Flex and life is GREAT!
  • Georges Mathgen
    edited November 2018
    On my "spare" station with a 10 year old TenTec Orion I get a panadapter by connecting a Perseus SDR to the SDR-Radio software, itself connected to the Orion via Omnirig. So, the Orion is following the Perseus frequency and I simply switch the antenna from one to the other to transmit. It's not as good as my Flex 6500 but avoids Nonpanadapteritis.
    George, LX1BB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.