Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

practicing cw using the keyer without transmitting

Gene - K3GC
Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
With my Yaesu DX5000 I could disengage breakin and use mon to hear what I was sending in order to practice CW sending.
Can I do  this with my 6700 and, if so, how?  It appears that MON is disabled when selecting CW mode.
Thanks,
Gene K3GC

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just turn the power to zero and operate normally. Sidetone works, but no RF is generated.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That would be the complicated way, it's easier to just click off the
    Breakin button, no RF generated then and a nice sidetone.
    Main advantage is: as soon as you want not only to practice CW but
    to send some, click Breakin again and - bingo, there you are ;-) 
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have been switching to the 4 meter band where I can't transmit, then I mute the slice and listen to the side tone. I like Alex's solution of unchecking the break-in better.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Well, it's what I do to practice with my good old IC-756PRO, still IMHO
    the best full-QSK CW machine, it has exactly the same Breakin button as
    SSDR, albeit mechanical, hi...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Alex is correct, unless you want to practice sending in the presence of receiver noise as it would be heard in actual transmitting. In that case, George's answer works. I prefer turning odd the breakin button.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Sending CW is a good way to practice sending CW.  The best way to learn how to copy CW is to listen to someone/something else sending.  Recognizing the characters that you hear without expecting them is part of the skill.  Sending is a good way to memorize the characters but in order to learn you need to listen to someone sending.  Listen around the band for some CW rag chewers and copy them.  You will not only increase your code skills, you will lean a lot of interesting tidbits of information.

Code doesn't have to be slow in order for you to learn. If you only listen to code that's 5 WPM you will develop a 5 WPM ceiling that's hard to break.   When you hear a character sent at 10 words per minute, you will freeze from panic, a natural reaction, and miss the character.

Also, the speed BETWEEN characters is more important as it gives your brain time to decipher the dits and dahs and assign them to a letter.  You don't have to slow a song down to recognize the melody after you've heard it a few times.  It's the same with code.  The additional space between characters that makes it easier to copy is the principal behind Farnsworth spacing.  There are a few articles out there on that subject.

I spent years teaching Marines, who hated the fact that they were listening to "ditties" instead of out in the field firing their M-16, how to copy Morse.  Some were easier than others to teach but none of them was as willing as a ham operator wanting to expand his enjoyment of the hobby.

Keep going and good luck.  Learning CW will get you more DX and a better score in contests.  I am really glad that after all these years and tons of technological evolution Morse code is still alive and well in our hobby.

Steve

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Doesn't the 6 series generate 1W when set to zero power? I'm sure I read that somewhere on this forum.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There is zero output at zero, and about one Watt at a setting of 1. IIRC.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Guy

Nope, it doesn't generate 1W when set to zero power. As you have now read on this forum. You are now faced with having to unread something. Be careful when you read, Don't rely on things you read on the internet. That's the problem with information, a lot of it is wrong.
    Trust, but verify, especially when dealing with fictional accounts of factual reality. Or, just sit back and enjoy the show.  
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I *knew* I read it somewhere. I took Tim's comment to mean when the slider is at 0, power output is 1W.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Guy
    Tim's statement is true. 0 puts out 0w 1 puts out @1w depending on how you obtain the measurement, trying to select a value between 0 and 1 with the slider is fun, and deserves further experimentation, I assume you only need to position the slider between 0 and 1, my mouse doesn't seem to be accurate enough. Maybe, you have a better mouse. Can you tell us which model your using? The one I have has problems with auto selecting and auto clicking things when I'm neither look at it or touching it. I just don't know which one to try next.  
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'm not having a problem or trying to do anything in particular, it is just that I took Tim's post (obviously wrongly) to mean that one could not tx at less than 1W (at all) rather than that one could not transmit at a fraction of a watt.

Too much **** as a student is now taking its toll possibly.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    **** goggles used to do the same to me at around the same time. If your ever in my neighborhood, I'll buy you a new set or at least the first round.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.