Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGeniusXL

Gary m0gme
Gary m0gme Member ✭✭
OK i'll start then, nearly $7000 OMG, had it been anyway near the competition, my $1000 dollars
would have been sat in the FRS account already. 

Answers

• VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019
    Well if you compare the Power Genius with RM Italy your are FAR from it but amp in the same class are ABOUT the same price ;-)
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    WOW i'll keep my alpha thanks!
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited November 2019
    Dat 1970's Stylin tho......
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited February 2017

No they change their ugly first look ;-) lol

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Why not just build your own and have more control over the amp, we are hams that's what we do. I'm really considering either Jim's W6PQL or Reinhard DH3NAB's kits. Mark NU6X built what I think is a very sexy amp from the B26 RF2K parts. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mgz4XdEiHTYVJCdzE1MEVFcEE/view?usp=sharing%20https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6mgz4XdEiHTaW9MRjJtUndmdVU/view?usp=sharing
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I use an Alpha 9500 with the 1A2R switch which gives me basically the same functionality so I'll stay where I am.... but the Alpha cost about the same when I bought it so 7 large does not seem out of line
  • K6HN
    K6HN Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    May I ask what "B26 RF2K" parts are? That control panel looks great, anyone know if that was homebrew or from a supplier?
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well for $7000 you can get an auto tuner as well with an Expert Linear 2K-FA. I do find the flex integration interesting but the amp needs a tuner to be on the same price point imo.
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited February 2017

You are right, i agree that this kind of amp need a ATU too,  that why i use a 2K-FA  The Power Genius is a very good machine BUT also LACK antenna connector on the back

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Check out the website. http://rf-kit.de/en/2k_Kit.php
  • Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I recall how long actual roll out of Maestro was, any chance sun spots will be on incline when these ship? :)

Lew
    N4CO
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I understand more than one person has pre-ordered two (or more) PowerGeniusXL units, so pricing isn't beyond market acceptance.

Solid state alternatives have typically been running even more money (though some have integral power supplies, ATUs or other features).

My Alpha-9500s will become backups to PowerGeniusXLs.  I am thinking of moving the "shack" to the tower base with most gear having not more than 100ft of feedline to the antenna.   Let network connectivity handle the haul back to the "traditional shack" and other operating positions.

The present PowerGeniusXL  configuration is able to handle up to 2.5:1 matching needs, which will work for a lot of the target buyers. 

Steve K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    As long as there is no hang up with the FCC certification paperwork, the ETA is this summer.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited June 2020
    Does it really look like this?  Functionality I'm certain is Excellent coming from Flex, but the 1970s called and want their enclosure designer back!

• VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited February 2017

No look on the web site, it dosent look like a ATARI anymore, it's realy nice

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited February 2017
    Oh Wow!  Yeah, that's much better!   Scared me for a minute!

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The back is not very pretty.
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited February 2017
    Since we are now discussing price. How much is ATU offer?
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

More like "plain" than unattractive:

Looks like LOTS of ventilation and seeing components I am wondering if the airflow is filtered or not?

For my remote Island QTH radio gear located at the base of the tower situation, I am working with the idea of having a very clean space to keep the gear.  Will look at filtering intakes and extra efforts at protection from insects and vermin.  When the shack is 120 miles from home, with 6 miles of it water with enough hazards to be called "Death's Door" I don't want to have something get in and mess with the gear.

Steve K9ZW

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Matt had told me via chat that details on the ATU will follow, but I'd love to know what sort of unit is will be and some idea of the additional cost.

Steve K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    TBD.  It is still in the engineering phase of development.  We will not have final pricing until we have a working version.
  • Wayne Westfield
    Wayne Westfield Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well, I was hoping it would be in the 5K neighborhood. :(  But I am now on the reservation list :) .   Now I have to get a 220 circuit put in.
  • Wayne Westfield
    edited February 2017
    I have to say it looks nice, but I have not been able to find a price, will have to email him.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Does this mean there will be a lot of excellent, well tested amplifiers coming up for sale soon? If so... post here first!
  • Wayne Westfield
    edited June 2020
    I think I am going to also have to find a place outside of my listening location to place this, the fans sound pretty noisy in the video.  Especially near the very end of the video. http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/powergenius-xl/

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited February 2017
    Will it be internal or external to the amp?
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    External 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2017

That was a very early unit in the video.

I am hoping that improvements will be made to the cooling solution to mitigate fan noise in production units.

It will be interesting to see if any videos are posted after this weekend's show at Hamcation.

Dave wo2x

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It could be some big gun contester who may actually come out cheaper in the end instead of two amps. I also wonder if any non flex users will buy it. Being "true" SO2R out of the box is pretty neat.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.