Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGenius XL

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hmmm I am wondering too. Right now he's using SPE 2K-FA in at least one position and he has been at Flex HQ recently. :)
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Has the FCC made any modification to the 15db rule. It was out for public comment earlier this year
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nothing yet. 15dB rule is in place. 
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Being able to remote the tuner for the amp is a great idea!  
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim When do you think deposits will be asked for? Ian
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi, Ranko!

Wow! So glad to hear you are planning a 2kW capable external tuner that will fully integrate with the XL via Ethernet. This will be a perfect solution! I can't wait to purchase both the XL and your tuner!

Thank you very much for kindly answering my question so quickly, Ranko.

Larry
    WA7LZO/WR7DV
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Won't FRS first be able to legally take deposits upon FCC approval?

Would expect that deposits could be taken on the Tuner portion of the package if FRS were so disposed to do so (Hint Hint).

Steve K9ZW

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'd put money on Craig going with the new amp.  I know Glen, W0GJ is.  He has is Acom's up for sale in anticipation.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    IMHO, I hope 4o3a ignores all legacy radios. I don't have any desire to keep my 1957 Ford, or my 1988 Suburban, limping along, which is why I replace my vehicles with new ones every few years.

My vote is to support the Flex 6700 singing in beautiful fully integrated Ethernet harmony with the new Genius Tuner and XL amp, and not waste precious and limited R&D resources looking backwards to legacy superhet iron. This is why we have eBay and Craig's List. Sell-off all of the old superhet junk, like 7850/51, TS-990S, and all other WWII era superhet stuff. 

This I will tell you, sell this legacy superhet gear now, as in the face of SDR, these prices have already nose dived. Prices will only continue to tank, even worse than they are right now.

IMHO, JM2C, and YMMV!

Larry
    WA7LZO/WR7DV
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm sure that to make as much money and recuperatie as much r and d as possible they will offer support for "legacy" radios. The Flex radio ecosystem is just too small.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    hmmmm... old cars, saw a late 60's Chevelle-SS go for $225,000 at auction on TV today. 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The PowerGenius XL will be able to interface to legacy radios.  However, they will not have the additional advanced features that will only be available to folks with a FLEX-6000 running SmartSDR.  That will be the differentiator.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Is there an expected price point on this unit?  US

Thanks
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It would also be trivial for them to support legacy radios. 

Think of it - even the SPE Expert, alpha, Acom and other amps support legacy radios. There's a built in frequency counter to change bands and a band change button on the front to accommodate legacy radios without CAT. 
  • Joe Sands
    Joe Sands Member
    edited April 2017
    Typo in QST ad... SO249 output connectors. Joe W7UV
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    "I'm guessing more like US$7000. "

Did I nail it or what? I had no inside info, I swear. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Now that the BLF188XR finals are only $200 each retail and that's if you buy 1 or 2 FRS buys them in bulk so more like $150 or less each. My guess is MFJ will have a full legal limit HF amp using them out in a few years and I guaranty it wont be $7000.

I just don't understand how you get to $7000 when the most expensive parts in the amp sells for $400, So where does the $6.600 come from. And BTW is it true that the $7000 is the only the introductory price for Pre-Order customers only and then the price goes up from there?

Oh and just think of what shipping and insurance will be on $7000

I have A legal limit amp now and it works great, By the time I'm ready for a new amp legal limit solid state amps will be under $2000.

No thanks I’ll pass for now.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Just as a side note, BLF188XR is basically obsolete now. I believe the PGXL is using the MRF1K50H which is capable of 1.5kw and not 1.2kw.  This is used in the new SPE 1.5K-FA and the later runs of the 1.3K-FA as well. (I believe mine has it). These are about $275 and in bulk will be less of course. Minor difference but worth noting. 

I am sure that MFJ/Ameritron will create an amp soon. But it won't be as nicely integrated and they will likely cut corners, both in quality and in features. It probably won't be true SO2R either. My friend K2EZ has an Ameritron solid state amp in her rover and it's nothing but problems. Has been back to the factory and is headed back again for a different problem. 

Note that I am not defending the $7000 price but if you want MFJ pricing you'll get an MFJ amp in all respects. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yes the big problem with MFJ/Ameritron is quality control. But they are good products for the price and certainly not in the same class as Flex or the PGXL.

Maybe Icom, Yeasu or even one of these Chinese Co’s they may come out with a similar amp.

These is no doubt that the PGXL will integrate amazing with the 6000 series and will **** the doors off of anything from MFJ/Ameritron but I still don't see how you get to $7000.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    "SO2R at half the price of competing solutions" is how.  It was priced with the market,  about the same as an Acom 2000a and cheaper than an Alpha 9500. 
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi everyone,

Every product has multiple elements that determine the buyers:

• Quality

• Price

• Design

• Functionality

• Subjective reasons etc.

PG XL features two MRF1k5 output transistors. It gives full legal limit power on SSB with good IMD and over 2000W on other modes. This is what everyone will initially look at when weighing the price.

What other features does PG XL have that are worth considering? A sophisticated unique system of control over every element of the amplifier. At the time of writing this is the only amplifier that controls every element from the motherboard: power supply, RF amplifier, LDMOS working class, amplification etc. Bulid in MEffA and APC

Analyzing the price of an amplifier by only looking at the price of the output transistors makes no sense. GU78 valve costs 300-400$ and amplifiers using it cost 5000$ or more. You need to have two for SO2R. I assume we all know that transistors can not work without  BIAS and output circuit, power supplies, output filters, control....and all that needs to be fitted in a box. Projections of solid state amplifiers priced at 2000$ while retaining quality are incorrect and frivolous. Of course, I do not doubt they will appear at some point and have their place in the market, based on what they offer.

Ranko

• Jim Miller
    Jim Miller Member
    edited April 2017
    This sounds like a nice amplifier and I would be interested in one even though I do have a SPE 2K-FA that works wonderfully with my 6300 and I get magnificant signal reports with the radio and amp.
  • Jim Miller
    Jim Miller Member
    edited April 2017
    I wonder what this amplifier will cost?  I paid around $6,000 new direct from Rome for my 2k fa with a 2 year warranty anthough it would have to be shipped to Rome for repairs.  On the other hand it would be nice to have everything serviced in Austin since it is only about 100 miles from me.  I visited their location once.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    $7000 is the current price. $1000 deposit gets you a reservation
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
  • Craig K9CT
    Craig K9CT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I did not see the post until just now....sorry. I have ordered three Power Genius already. All of the 87As will be sold. 

FYI, I have tested a Beta Power Genius for the last few weeks. I used it on SO2R RTTY and CW without any issues. We also used it for the CQ WPX SSB with two radios interlocked for M/2. We ran two radios on 20m...running on one and S&P on the other. The radios cannot transmit at the same time. The amp ran as if it were two amplifiers...one on each radio. 

Recommend.....

73, Craig K9CT
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited April 2017

Hi Craig:  Since you have actually operated a PGXL, maybe you can tell us since nobody seems to know:  Does the amp have a built in antenna turner or not? If not, what is the SWR tolerance before one is needed?

Thanks,

Bill, W6WRT

• Craig K9CT
    Craig K9CT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Bill

No tuner....

My antennas are mostly 1.5 or better SWR at 50 ohms.

Some limits are set in software and I have not hit a limit! This might be something that they tweak before production. I will play with this in the next week or so. 

73, Craig K9CT
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I remember reading a spec sometime back that said it was pretty forgiving, but I don't remember the SWR limits.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    There is no ATU and Ranko has said it will shut down with more than 2.5:1 swr

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.