Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGenius XL

Comments

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it will be available in UK/EU after CE certification.  It will ship from Europe in that case without coming to the US.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    Correct.  Antenna Genius can switch up to 16 antennas max into a pair of SO2R connections.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it will include a low level directional coupler output on a BNC connector.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I have a 8x1 AG love it

wu5e

• Ranko
    Ranko Member
    edited December 2016
    SO2R is a concept that implies switching behind amplifier.
    It's easy to add few more outputs on amplifier for those who are not SO2R and will use it for DXing.
    BUT - isn't is nicer to have all big coaxial cables connected on Antenna genius somewhere away from radio desk? And controlled over the LAN? 
    Flex radio, PG XL and Genius switchers/Rotator controllers are simply new concept.

Ranko. 4O3A
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gerald/Ranko,

Sign me up as a beta user, it would be plug and play at my qth.

Rich - N5ZC
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    really, howard? there are LOTs of 'apple haters' here in na, je crois...we're not ALL apple fans ya know..

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    tnx link, Chris...

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    IME, Google's review process is far less rigorous than Apple's. I've had a few builds rejected for things that passed easily in google play. Plus there is sideloading in android which you don't have in unmodified iOS so you don't even need an app in the store to be able to use it on some devices. Also for flex users, I'm sure Marcus will have support for it in later versions of SmartSDR for iOS.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, me too.....  I can test the WAN link monitoring and control capabilities while it resides at my remote with the 8X2 switch already in place and Maestro as the control head 8 miles away.  Of course I would test the cw  side of things mostly.  :)     
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Guys, i wanna to say ~25 years ago i have tested MEffA prototype system that we call -  Power Amplifier with "feedback Forward" and at this time efficiency like over 50% was a dream however such schematic can give over 80% with final staff in class C and recommended IMD.  FRS did a right choice !
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Absolutely unconcerned with price points if the apparent level of innovation and integration are there. Question becomes whether to incorporate legacy design in station building or design taking advantage of the new features? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm guessing it will be comparable to the high end solid state amps. I don't see any reason for the FCC to reject it apart from the 15dB gain rule which is easily solved with an input attenuator.
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hi, Ranko!

May I ask you 2 questions about the PowerGenius XL:

1) Will it have a built-in internal tuner, and

2) Is the 3 x 4 inch "panel" on the front of the chassis a mechanical badge, or some sort of a label, or is this an LCD or OLED display panel, providing various status information for local use, when not using a remotely connected iOS device to check on status?

Thanks, in advance, Ranko, for all of your kind help in this mater!!

Br,
    Larry
    WA7LZO/WR7DV
  • Ranko
    Ranko Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi Larry,

it won't have build in antenna tuner. We decided to have an external antenna tuner for 2kW, as device which can be used separately. If we build it in amplifier, we limited it's use. Antenna tuner will be advanced, LAN controlled, easy to connect to PG XL etc. It will cost much less as bundle with PG XL. More to come.

"Panel" you are asking is color LCD touch screen display, 320x240 for local use. We add it to keep Power Genius XL as an open platform for future upgrades.

Winn Application looks the same.

Ranko, 4O3A
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Ranko,

What SWR can the amp handle without an antenna tuner?

Rich - N5ZC
  • Ranko
    Ranko Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Rich,

up to 1:2 with some power derating.

Ranko
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited May 2020

Sounds like a Palstar HF-Auto or the equivalent will be necessary for most of us. That's a $1500 piece of hardware, but on the other hand the price of the amp should be $1500 less too.  And if you can live without autotune, you can build a manual tuner for a fraction of that.

W6WRT

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    2:1? If so that's reasonable. Does it alarm when swr is that high or does it shut off as soon as it crosses the threshold?
  • Ranko
    Ranko Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Ria,

It will derate power on acceptable level for output filters insertion losses until it comes to threshold. 

SWR alarm will disable PTT .

Ranko
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Typos fixed.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am wondering. And I have little understanding of SO2R operation. 
    What is the advantage of two radios connected to the amp when only one radio can use the amp at one time?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Multiple receivers; listening to another band for multipliers while working stations on a different band.  SO2R allows you to quickly change to the other band to work the multi and then switch back to the band you were working.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I think I would go with the 4o3a TunerGenius XL that Ranko said was forthcoming.

Obviously the amp pricing wouldn't include a tuner that isn't there, but again Ranko said their would be a package deal price for buying both.

IMHO tell me an Capabilities, Integration, Flexibility and Innovation. 

Very much understand ham's fixation on price but after the sticker shock of shopping for good furniture with the XYL for some wingbacks, well I got a reality check that our hobby even at the better product grades is not expensive. 

Back to the PowerGenius XL, when in SO2R configuration with a Flex-6700, it's matching TunerGenius XL and an AntennaGenius 2x8 there become some very interesting possibilities.

First thought is should the gear even be in your shack, or should it be at the base of your tower, and a person use the networking abilities (maybe with Fiber)?

If you do lay it out this way, how do you handle legacy radios in the design?

All interesting stuff - does a person spend for parallel runs of hundreds of feet of low loss feedlines, or move the radio/amp/tuner to the ground at the tower base?

Steve K9ZW

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill
    >> when only one radio can use the amp at one time? <<

is not correct.
    We use 2 radio - but only one to transmit. I call CQ on 20m and search parallel  on 15m for a multi. Between CQ calls i can work with 2. TRX the multi on 15m (only a example).
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The well appointed ham will need a matching PC to provide complementary lighting:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqZMSQ3f8K8

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well what I want to know is Craig K9CT going with this amp? 
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good Ranko...   to really enhance the proposed TUNER-XL... Provide a model option able to be located at the antenna base and powered over the coax with LAN/WAN Monitoring :)   Just dreaming...   Nice work and quality on your various products Ranko.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    GeniusMatch XL would be a nice name for it. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.