Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGenius XL

Comments

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    David, maybe a help for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJDev_mvS0
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Chris. Food for thought!! 73, David
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    And the USD/EUR exchange rate is looking quite good :)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would guess that it would be standard 3:1 and have an ATU. LDMOS devices can handle 66:1 but output tank circuit components not so much.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I dislike the lights as well.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    But be sure, the PA will be more expensive in EU then in US !

Why?

For EU customer, the PA must pass 2 times the Atlantic ocean (in US she get the - in EU useless) - FCC label

:-)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm guessing more like US$7000. $3299 probably won't even cover assembly and R&D costs. If $3299 it would probably put alpha out of business, and probably ameritron at the high end too.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The green lighting seems to be an.... unusual.... choice, given the age of the primary target market segment for this product. I HAVE been using the word "unusual" on the forum a lot lately, haven't I. Hmmmmm.... Peter K1PGV
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Greetings from Paris With great EU/USD Exchange rate one could pick it up here and get a VAT refund when brining it back to the USA. And possibly save shipping costs by carry9ng it as luggage OTOH. Problably much easier to get delivered in the USA. Android. Definitely an EU solution as most USA is iOS.
  • Ranko
    Ranko Member
    edited November 2017
    Hi to all,

different backlight colors indicates amplifier status.

Yellow - STBY
    Green - OPERATE
    Red - Transmit
    Blinking red - Alarm
    Magenta - firmware upload
    ..etc

User can set intensity of light, for own taste and who don't like it - will turn it off. Personally, I like it much, because of nice functionality.
    As amplifier is NO TUNE, it can be away from radio desk. With different backlight you can see status of amplifier wherever it is... 

Ranko, 4O3A

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for that, Ranko.  Much more understandable now.

Peter
    K1PGV

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Finally! someone gives a little bit! of information thanks Ranko

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would certainly save up for one at US$3299! At US$7000, perhaps not for a few years until I retire!
  • Ranko
    Ranko Member
    edited December 2016
    Tim is right. MEffA is our technique to change the drain voltage level on LDMOS  in order to yield the most efficiency of amplifier. 

Ranko, 4O3A
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ORANGE - Time to hammer the side panels back into shape before it cools down  :)
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not if your antenna is resonant.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What is the options matrix? Would prefer only status indicator LEDs, as may well be remote rack mounted. Will be important to know if it is keyed or what it is doing if troubleshooting. The game boy lights don't appeal much BTW. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Only one thing comes to mind

Resistance..   is...  Futile.....
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    At $7K, it would have to make QSOs for me, and email me when it got 5-band DXCC using my callsign. Perhaps the email could also include the tracking number for the 5BDXCC plaque... But that's just me... Peter K1PGV
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Now the green it makes sense.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    anyone want to buy a nice Alpha 99?  should give me enough for the down payment. ;-)
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would speculate that perhaps it would need to be competitive with an Expert 2K... that's the price range I would guess...
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    nailed it.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yea, thinking of selling my QRO 2500 & AL-1500 6M amp to pay for 1/2 of a G. Amp
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ... or you check web at http://rf-kit.de and and you will see there are a 2k4 PA with automatic tuner - much cheaper ( but without Disco light's ;-) also infos on Facebook -> B26 PA
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Have to say that I am a little surprised that it will only offer 2 outputs. I would have thought that for an amplifier of this spec and quality would have at least 3 if not 4 outputs.

Or am I being ****?

Tim
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm guessing that they didn't see the need since you can buy antenna genius switches.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I concur. Those who will use this as SO2R with a 6500 or 6300 will need the Antenna Genius box with bandpass filter isolation anyway. And they could even mount it out at the tower/Antenna Farm with only two feedlines to the shack. Santa, are you listening?.....
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You can turn it off as Ranko said.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Expect it to be competitive with 2K amps.  It has two 1500W transistors.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.