Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGenius XL

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
The chassis and specifications for the1500W solid state amplifier from FlexRadio, the PowerGenius XL has been updated and are now available on the PowerGenius XL product web page 

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Tim

Any information about MEffA ??

It sounds new, whatzit do?? image

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• docdailey
    docdailey Member
    edited June 2020
    $?
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It's filled with Kryptonite!
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    WOW! (eyes bulging) Wonder how many cases of **** I'm going to have to give up to buy one? Oh wait, I don't drink that much ****.
  • Bill Turner
    Bill Turner Member
    edited December 2016

Haven't seen any mention of SWR tolerance. Does it need an external antenna tuner?

W6WRT

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    well if the FCC rejects it the price will raise for sure
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jay

I think MEffA is a technique to change the DC voltage level to the PA in a manner to match the envelope of the exciting RF in order to yield the most efficiency. The premise is the PA efficiency is not constant at a fixed DC level but should vary with the envelope of the signal. If that's confusing, this paper is certainly:

http://rincon-mora.gatech.edu/publicat/jrnls/mtts03_pa_dyn.pdf

I'm not 100% sure this is what MEffA is but that's my guess at if for not.

More recent cell phones use this method in their PAs to yield extended bat life. Smartphone technology is just remarkable. They also have a builtin auto tuner.

Best,
    Tim

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited December 2016
    and no I don't know the price
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Nice looking Amp, good specs. Well done.

A minor edit to the webpage, if I may be so bold:

Algorythm  -> Algorithm

Exceptional spurious performance using of diplexed filters for carrier  -->

Exceptional spurious performance owing to diplexed filters for carrier and
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Well start drinking **** so you can quit and save the money!  ;^)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Pretty pretty! Want!
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, I want it.  Now I just gotta move to a house where I can put an antenna that can handle it.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited June 2020
    What the heck is all that green alien juvenile-delinquent-sports-car-looking lighting? Is it just a weird choice for external camera lighting or is this inside an amplifier with the name Genius? And FSM help me if someone says the color can be changed or cycled through 64,000 colors. Puh-leeze.

Phu-leeze.

Kev K4VD
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Kinda reminds me of some of the fancy gaming computers I've seen online with cool lighting.  I like it. :) 
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016

:)
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Somebody is thinking that ham Contesters = PC Gamers.  (Which may not be completely wrong.) But if the LEDs will pulse in different colors along with the instantaneous power output, I can see possibilities.   Psychedelic radio.

As a hard-boiled old-timer, I say If there are going to be lighting effects, they should be from the glowing filaments and plates of real glass finals. :)
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    This also sounds a little strange to me:
    For remote operation with other HF radio exciters, an Ethernet API or friendly Windows and Android applications can control the PowerGenius XL.
    So IOS for the radio and Android for the amp? I get the green now. It's color coded to the OS.
    Specifications subject to change without notice.
    Whew. Maybe the Green Lantern lighting will go away.
    Availability and pricing for the FlexRadio HF/6m amplifier will be published after FCC and CE approvals.
    They'll never approve that neon lighting. The International Dark-Sky Association would probably try to block it.

I'm having some fun if you can't tell. The lighting does seem like an odd thing to me. There's no accounting for taste. But there should be.

Kev. Again.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    edited June 2020

I'm going to beat up for writing this. but it was fun to do and try and figure out.

A single FLEX-6700 and PowerGenius XL comprises a complete SO2R station at half the cost of competing solutions.

FLEX 6700    $7,499

Power G XL   $3,299  ( a guess)! (will they try to lower and try to corner the market- Nope) don't have the manufacture base to build fast enough was my thought process-small company(best radio! for sure)

I have drill down on this many times trying to figure this out!

using Elecraft K3S * 2 NO go

using ANAN 200D *2  No Go

using ICOM 7851  close maybe

using Yaesu 5000  maybe

using Kenwood TS-990

as a DX'er I want a kiss **** AMP, and if they do build at lower price for the guys like 6500 and 6300  with one PA unit. that would nice.

wish I could been a fly on the wall while the 403A guys were building and flex where talking to each other..

I appreciate that Flex bends over backwards for us Hams for the most part.

can't wait to have this amp on my desk

Jim

WU5E

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    lol love the replies.  Well if they get rid of the cool lighting effects, I can always install some fancy aftermarket lighting to make it look like a gaming rig. ;)
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    that has to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen in ham radio and thats saying something!

no thanks

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Come on lighten a up a little Kev ;-)

The badge and box rate a 10, with the lighting a cool factor of 11.  I like it.
    No different than the unique blue glow of the Drake TR4
    or S-line badge.  Hallicrafter you name it something unique identifying it.

Flex rocks it again!

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim

Ok. I was worried it might have something to do with Adaptive Pre-Distortion. image  
    Which might lead to significant flame wars in the Community. Internet flame wars could have something to do with global warming.

Oops!
    A High Efficiency, Linear RF Power Amplifier With a Power-Tracking, Dynamically Adaptive Buck–Boost Supply
    That title sounds like it might result in something linear with less distortion.

We live in interesting times.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    WU5E - A legal limit solid state 160-6M amp for $3299?  That would be nice but I'm guessing it will cost at least twice that figure.

Hopefully the green gaming lights are optional. 

What does ICAS stand for?    
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ralph

Here's a good explanation of ICAS.
    http://www.ab4oj.com/quadra/icas.html

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Kevin

Probably lights up green for normal operation, autoswitches to red for MAXSMOKE operation, and all lights out whenever that's exceeded.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Is this amplifier likely to be available in the United Kingdom?  I have reserved an SPE Expert 1.3K-FA and will need to make a decision as to which one to buy.

David G4NRT
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    >> Power G XL   $3,299  ( a guess)!  <<

First price range b4 many month was : ~ 6.500$  !!

If price of 3.299$ is true - FRS i will be your  general distributor - worldwide. Short way from Branko to here. :-)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It originates in EU. Brexit?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Sounds like we need to get Marcus one so we can get an iOS app.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard your right.

Europe is the secret headquarter of Flex6 !   Why?

- Best Flex6 service = EU
    - Best Smart SDR IOS = EU
    - first Flex6 PA = EU

:-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.