PowerGenius XL

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
The chassis and specifications for the1500W solid state amplifier from FlexRadio, the PowerGenius XL has been updated and are now available on the PowerGenius XL product web page 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3503 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 300 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Well what I want to know is Craig K9CT going with this amp? 
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2283 Posts
  • 925 Reply Likes
Hmmm I am wondering too. Right now he's using SPE 2K-FA in at least one position and he has been at Flex HQ recently. :)
Photo of KM4CQG

KM4CQG

• 230 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Tim

When do you think deposits will be asked for?

Ian
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1338 Posts
  • 688 Reply Likes

Won't FRS first be able to legally take deposits upon FCC approval?

Would expect that deposits could be taken on the Tuner portion of the package if FRS were so disposed to do so (Hint Hint).

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 588 Posts
  • 128 Reply Likes
I'd put money on Craig going with the new amp.  I know Glen, W0GJ is.  He has is Acom's up for sale in anticipation.
Photo of Craig K9CT

Craig K9CT

• 37 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I did not see the post until just now....sorry. I have ordered three Power Genius already. All of the 87As will be sold. 

FYI, I have tested a Beta Power Genius for the last few weeks. I used it on SO2R RTTY and CW without any issues. We also used it for the CQ WPX SSB with two radios interlocked for M/2. We ran two radios on 20m...running on one and S&P on the other. The radios cannot transmit at the same time. The amp ran as if it were two amplifiers...one on each radio. 

Recommend.....

73, Craig K9CT
Photo of Bill Turner

Bill Turner

• 73 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Hi Craig:  Since you have actually operated a PGXL, maybe you can tell us since nobody seems to know:  Does the amp have a built in antenna turner or not? If not, what is the SWR tolerance before one is needed?

Thanks,

Bill, W6WRT

Photo of Craig K9CT

Craig K9CT

• 37 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hi Bill

No tuner....

My antennas are mostly 1.5 or better SWR at 50 ohms.

Some limits are set in software and I have not hit a limit! This might be something that they tweak before production. I will play with this in the next week or so. 

73, Craig K9CT
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4091 Posts
  • 1276 Reply Likes
I remember reading a spec sometime back that said it was pretty forgiving, but I don't remember the SWR limits.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2283 Posts
  • 925 Reply Likes
There is no ATU and Ranko has said it will shut down with more than 2.5:1 swr
Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 300 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Thank you Craig for the update, please don't be a stranger here, your insights and real life experiences with the Flex and PGxL are invaluable. 
Photo of Bill Turner

Bill Turner

• 73 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Since a legal limit antenna tuner is about $1500, if it will tolerate SWR up to 2.5:1 that's pretty good. All  my antennas are below 2:1 on the frequencies I use. Thanks.

73, Bill W6WRT

Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 543 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
Is there an expected price point on this unit?  US

Thanks
Photo of John AE5X

John AE5X

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
QSK on CW?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2283 Posts
  • 925 Reply Likes
I would be very surprised if it wasn't. 
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Tim,

What are the dimensions of the Amp including projections.  I'm going to build a shelf to slide under and need to know what the height is including feet. Looks like cooling is handled front to back so I shouldn't need much clearance on the top, correct?

Thanks

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9153 Posts
  • 3503 Reply Likes
The dimension specs are on the website.  On the back, I'd add an inch for the connectors.  Cooling is front to back.  Since the case is also part of the thermal mass of the unit, you will need some clearance on the top.  Probably a few inches.
http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim,

So the 5" height spec includes the feet?

Rich - N5ZC
Photo of Craig K9CT

Craig K9CT

• 37 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
The Beta is 6.5" from the front feet to the top cover....but of course this could change in production. 

73, Craig K9CT
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9153 Posts
  • 3503 Reply Likes
Thanks Craig for the info
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Thanks Craig,

Working on either a desk location or my rack, haven't decided yet.  There's pros and cons to both.

Rich - N5ZC