PowerGenius amp romote operation

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
How would the PowerGenius amp work on remote, I mean what connections are needed?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2682 Posts
  • 598 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3462 Reply Likes
A remote connection to the radio using SmartSDR for Windows.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2682 Posts
  • 598 Reply Likes
thanks Tim , but what are the accual connections, Lan, coax?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3462 Reply Likes
Yes,  Lan to the same network as the 6000.  Coax to the radio and antenna.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 751 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Hi Bill, 
 If connecting to the Flex 6XXX series of radios you will only need RF in, RF out and an ethernet connection.     If connecting to other radios you will need those PLUS  PTT and Band data connections via the CAT serial port pr CI-V connector.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2682 Posts
  • 598 Reply Likes
ok so, useing the amp remote in another location is out? if you need RF in that is a long run of coax..lol
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 751 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
If you place the radio at the same remote (off premise) location as the Amp and antennas and use your Maestro at home to control things :).   You can also remote the Amp locally from your normal operating position as long as you are connected to the same LAN and control/monitor it via their new PGXL PC App.
Personally, I will be accessing mine remotely (about 10 miles away) using the Maestro.    Cuts down on purchasing the other 9 miles or so of coax X2....

Regards
Larry  k1UO
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 829 Posts
  • 162 Reply Likes
DIY open wire line is economical !

I was talking with Steve of FRS at the Yuma Hamfest about this topic. As you point out, the 6x00 radio and amp can be remote with Maestro controlling everything.

Using fiber Ethernet would make for RFI / lighting isolation-protection, as long as the 230 V-AC lines are taken care of. Protecting the remote gear is beyond the scope of this topic thread.