Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Supply Woes

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
So I'm tired of chasing birdies, got them all resolved accept 2..
1) is my power supply  
2) is the Solar DC pool pump

I can not beleive how much noise you see with the FLEX 6500, always over looked all this noise with the ICOM and KENWOOD I owned.. anyway

First, power supply is getting replaced (already increased cable size and shortened them up).
So I am looking at some honest opinions on this supply for the shack.

Astron VS Series Linear Power Supplies VS-50M

Second question, what power supply do you use?
Lastly, Have you ever measured the noise and ripple from your power supply?  (if you have the equipment to do so)

Thanks for the replies  

(yes I have read many posts here about power supplies, it's why I've changed several things already)

73's

David

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I'm running a W5RV 50A linear supply for my entire station. Very low noise (haven't measured it - haven't needed to). It's probably most similar to an Astron RSxxxM-series supply, only designed and built better. I don't know if these are available any longer. Purchased mine at a hamfest here in TX.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

Switching power supplies are oscillators with smaller filter capacitors because less capacitance is needed to filter a higher frequency. The switching power supply inherently has more harmonics because the waveform is not purely sinusoidal. They are more prone to creating higher frequency noise. However, I have used some that are very quiet. That being said, for noise, you can't beat a well-regulated linear supply. It operates at 60 Hz. and there is very little noise, if any, generated from them. The down side is they are much heavier and consume more physical space. For noise, you can go wrong with a big well-regulated linear supply.

Jim, K6QE

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    David,

I have no personal experience with the Astron switching supplies, but I have heard some reports of RF hash & birdies from them.

I have 3 of the Alinco DM-330MVT supplies, one of which has been in service for over 10 years.  Also, our club purchased 3 of them for use in our club station several years ago.  I have found them to be extremely reliable and have NEVER experienced any RF hash or birdies from any of the 6 that I have personal experience with.

They are a little pricier than the Astron ($155 vs $130), but well worth it in my opinion.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thank you Ray...   FYI, The Astron I'm looking at is a linear supply not one of their switching supplies.

David
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    David,

I have nothing but good things to say about the Astron linear supplies.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm not a fan of switching power supplies, their issues have been well documented.  I use Astron RS-M Series linear power supplies in my shack, several of them (20's 35's and a 70).  I dedicated one Astron RS-35M to my Flex-6700.  No noise issues.  It's 25A continuous duty works fine for my Flex.  Measured ripple voltage matches Astron's specs.

Unless you particularly need voltage and current limiting controls of the VS series, the less expensive RS-M series will work fine.  The RS-M series has an internal voltage adjustment that allows fine tuning of the output voltage, although I've never needed to adjust mine. 
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

I use an Astron RS-35 linear supply. Works fine. Took the time to open the cabinet and clean all metal-to-metal contact points. Almost all are painted, which messes with the shielding. Anything to improve the "tightness" of any enclosure is a good thing, in my book. PC cabinet likewise. Wattmeters, amplifier, too.

Check your coax (including jumpers) too. A bad connector or low-percentage braid cable can let a lot of junk into the system (and out).

Brute force line filtering on pool pumps can help. I also sunk a ground rod next to mine and connected the housing to it.

One thing I learned from Howard (KY6LA) is to use a battery to run the rig.  Use the PWRGate (West Mountain Radio between it and the power supply.

Every little bit helps! It's amazing the amount of RF crud that's out there. Being able to visualize it with the Flex panadapter makes it easier to mitigate. The lower noise REALLY pays off on receive.

Good luck!

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I agree Linear PS are the way to go. QUESTION? If switching supplies are prone to RF noise then is it a good idea for flex to be selling one? http://cart.flexradio.com/Astron-SS-25-Power-Supply_p_18.html
    Seems like the Astron RS-35A might be a better choice?
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks George... way ahead of you :-)   I have the PWRGate, twin 100ah batteries (SLR100's from http://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR100-AGM-Solar-Battery_p_37.html

As to the pool pump.. it's SOLAR, and variable speed.. Right now I just shut it off and work around it, but there are plans for loads of shielding in the works plus lots more changes to help.  Going solar saved me about 80.00 a month in electricity but now I deal with the RF noise..  look up "Lorentz Solar Pool Pump – PS600", that's what I have.

Good idea on the cabinet cleanup and making sure good grounding, guess I should have learned that from my transverter builds, guess assuming manufactures take the time to do that is out of the question... hahahaha

Also when I built the new PC I used a corsair power supply and case, interesting how much noise can come from a PC as well... that corsair power supply made a bit difference as well 

Thanks again

David
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    @George...  Check this out.. pic of waterfall with and without solar pool pump running:

imageimage
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

How does the NB or the WNB react to that periodic noise?

Jim, K6QE

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    It doesn't that I can tell.. here is the real kicker, you can create a TNF, eliminate the noise, then 5 minutes later the peak has moved.. it really moves on a cloudy day, i.e. everytime a cloud goes by the frequency changes...  real challenge

David
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Here is a link to my "How to Build a Quiet Station"  https://db.tt/xG8SOiRI

BTW... i have 2 Jandy variable speed 2HP pool pumps -  The motors are shielded by the manufacturer  BUT I also had to make sure that everything in my pool control system (Pumps, Heaters, Controls, etc)  was BONDED together to Ground and all paint was removed .
    in the **** holes to make sure that there was good ground contacts in the case.  Also a good idea to use corrosion  protectant like NOALOX at the screws.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks Howard... keep in mind, this is a DC pool pump.. not an AC pool pump, Jandy variable speed pool pumps are AC.

David
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    But the RF Noise is AC....even though the source motor power is DC... so Grounding and Shielding should do the job..

Quick suggestion.. Get your hands on a couple of large torroids, clamp them on the power leads - might do the trick
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Ummm, I'm confused by that statement... From Solar Panels to Control Box is DC, from Control Box to Pump is DC.. where is this AC coming from??

https://www.lorentz.de/pdf/lorentz_ps_pool_general_en-us.pdf
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Similar problem in my previous home, 1HP pond pump with VFD.  The VFD is just a double switching power supply feeding crud on both input and output wires.  In my case 4 PS as the output was 3 phase.  This pump VFD was on a circuit that also fed the outdoor lights. (a 160M endfed antenna)

Solution:  (-60db but still noticeable on 80/160 and no longer wiped out the LF aircraft landing beacon on the overhead glide slope into the town airport)

• Mounted the VFD inside a Hammond shielded box (door appropriately grounded to case)
    • Shielded 4 wire power cord from Hammond (VFD) to pump.  It is out there - Ask at an industrial electrical supplier
    • Commercial EMI suppressor filter on power (mounted on inside of box to keep EMI inside the case)  This was 110V in my case but a different version for whatever V-DC you are running 
    • Ground rod at the Hammond box.  Tried an isolated ground installation (orange 15A plug) but eventually bonded inside and outside grounds
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks Stan.. yes I have what they consider a small transformer box coming for the pump to be housed in and we are looking into a shielded cable for the 6 foot run between controller and pump... I have detected all this noise coming from that run as well as pump.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have to agree with the comments about your question about Power supply's.
    I do have to say that I have tested MANY brands of Switching Power supplies and the quietest Switching supply I have seen is the Alinco  DM330 series that Ray K9DUR mentioned in a earlier post, I use the newer one that has the USB charge port on it and I really like the DM330 for being dependable and RF quiet. 

The big difference you will see with one of the Linear power supplies is there weight and how much current they draw from the AC lines compared with the switchers.for the same DC loads.
    I had a Astron 35 Amp Linear power supply before the Alinco switcher on my radio station here and my power bill was $12.00 on average higher then with the Alinco switcher.

I have tested the following Switching Power supplies with the highest HF RF noise first. 1 being the worst in my test.
    1: Astron RS35
    2: Ameritron / MFJ early model of SPF75 , MFJ4275, MFJ4245 all pretty noisy.
    3. Jetstream JTPS75BCMMKII (basicly the same exact unit as the Amerton and MFJ4275 but not as noisy.
    4. DuraComm LP-25 
    5: Samlex America SEC1235M< Almost as good as the Alinco DM330 but does have some RF hash.
    6. Alinco DM330FX, much much better then the rest of the pack and it does have a knob you can adjust just INCASE you have a little spike on your operating frequency, but I have never used it here. 

Hope this helps and of course your milage will very 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016

It isn't noise per se', but rather in band RF generated by the system. That one must be a real crowd pleaser!

Jim, K6QE

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    A DC Brushless Motor works by switching DC current around the various coils in the motor to change the orientation of electromagnet field which in turn causes the motor to rotate.  The Switching Circuit that moves the current to the different coils and the Rise and Fall of Current in the coils is an Alternating Current which is a well known cause of RFI...
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks Howard....  I have been doing some research as well and pursuing the suggestions found in this post

http://www.solar-electric.com/reducing-electromagnetic-interference-pv-systems.html/

David
  • Jerry W2TXB
    Jerry W2TXB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I was using an Astron RS-35M for many years, but changed to a BK Precision 1692 on the recommendation of some folks here. No problems with generated noise, and it handles everything it feeds without breaking a sweat.

• KD4HSO
    KD4HSO Member
    edited February 2016
    Glad you posted that.  Looks a lot like my, yet unknown, noise source.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Get yourself a SDRPlay... use a laptop to go portable and go looking.. I pinpointed many noises with it.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    That's so weird, your spikes appear evenly spaced every 6khz on 40m. I have a similar issue but its on 160 and 80 and spaced evenly at 1khz. You don't have a UPS, do you? My current thinking is mine is my APC UPS but I haven't proved it yet. I am, however, curious how yours resolves.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Here's one that drove me nuts for a while. My Rechargeable shaver that my wife bought me as a Christmas present would create a pulse  across the HF band once every 3 seconds. I didn't have the heart to tell her so one it's charged I just unplug the charging stand. I tell her it's top save power ;)
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Walt.. I do have a UPS.. it's not the issue.. or are you referring to KD4HSO post?  

I can clearly turn mine on and off at the switch... :-)

David
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Note that they also recommend Ferrites...

• Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    George. Which power gate are you running and what type of battery are you using. I too am chasing the last of the noise out Mike N9DFD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.