Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power plug and outlet for PowerGenius XL?

Options
Andy - KU7T
Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
Getting ready for the XL, that may show up here in a few weeks. I already ran the wire in the wall to an electrical box in the shack (normal 110 twin outlet but not connected up).

I got an electrician lined up to help me with the 220V because I need breakers re-arranged and final hookup. I do not expect him to know what type of plug I need/should use. Can anyone recommend what plug is good for 220V ham radio equipment such as the XL?

Thanks
Andy
KU7T 

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Andy,

The plug doesn't really matter because Flex will give you a cord set with an unterminated end. You can put the plug of your choice on it. You can have your sparky wire either a NEMA 6-20R straight blade receptacle or a L6-20R twist lock receptacle. Those are the two common ones. Have them wire a 240v 20 amp circuit, which will use a double pole breaker.

Ria
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Got it ordered... 73, Andy

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would go with the L6-20R Twist lock one, so that it is different then the rest of the outlets in the shack and household. That way noone will mistakenly plug a 110v device. I would try to find a red colored one and label it.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The NEMA 6-20R that Ria referred to is physically different than a 120 volt outlet. A standard 120 plug WILL NOT fit in a receptacle designed for 220 volts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Salvador, 

In the U.S. typically red outlets indicate that the power source has emergency backup power. I would just go with the NEMA 6-20R or L6-20R. I did not use twist lock here as the outlet is behind the desk and there is almost no chance for the power cord to be pulled out accidently.

Dave wo2x

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is a 6-20. 6 series are 240v.

This is a 5-20. 5-20 are 120v.

The blade is horizontal vs vertical. Mirror images for the 20 amp. Zero chance of mistakenly plugging the wrong one in, unless you bend the pins.

Twist lock is fine too.

I have 2 240v recepts behind the desk, 6-20r
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    (For the many on this group who are already very aware of the subject of electrical wiring and safety this is not directed to you.)

David is correct, don't use RED unless the source has automatic backup such as generator.  Although at my qth I do have whole house generator backup but all of my outlets 120 and 220 are normal color (white) no point in doing so.

Look at the 5th and six rows of the following pdf chart under (2-Pole 3-Wire Grounding) Straight Blade Devices 125V 250V that applies here.
    http://www.rxms.com/files/downloads/documents/Bryant_Chart.pdf
    In no way can you accidentally plug in the wrong plug.  That is by design in the NEMA code.

ALWAYS use the correct outlet for your installation, this is a life safety issue NEVER stray from the code.
    ALWAYS install the correct wire gauge, also a life safety issue, keep the burden of safety onto your breaker NOT your wiring.
    My personal suggestion for your ham shack is to run conduit to the "shack" with THHN wire keeping yur equipment off of your house wiring.  In my opinion that is also a life safety issue.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I didn't know about the back up feature of the red colored outlets. Always learning something on this site.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The red basically is so in hospitals they can identify which equipment is powered by backup power so that critical equipment is plugged in there rather than in outlets that would suffer a power failure. I would imagine since Dave manages public safety comms infrastructure that he knows a bit about keeping stuff powered on. :)
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

That is what I do Ria, electrician / electronics tech in a hospital 30 years now.
    A subject dear to  my heart.  Now safety coach is the latest feather in my hat.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I spent a month in the NICU with my little ones. I am grateful that so much attention is paid to detail!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.