Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power off radio when UPS detects outage?

Options
Andy - KU7T
Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I got my new 6600M on all the time. A few months ago my ham shack computer got seriously messed up when the power went out.  I would like to put a UPS into my shack, and have everything running on it (except amp).  The UPS should detect a power outage and gracefully shutdown my computer. Most UPS can do that.

What about the Flex?  I would like to have it also be gracefully shutdown.  I know there is a contact in the back that can be used. Does anyone have a solution?  I am not interested in remote turn on, just automatic shutdown when outage occurs.

Thanks,
Andy
KU7T

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Sure. The simplest solution would be to get a separate 12v power supply and leave it plugged in to utility power, to a socket that is not on your UPS. Attach that to the power on pin on the accessory port. When the power goes, 12v is gone, and the radio powers off. When power comes back, radio comes back. If you don't want that, you can wire a relay that will open when power is off and stay open even if it comes back.

You can get something more sophisticated that would control a relay to apply 12v to that pin. But it is definitely doable. 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What I did about 3 years ago, is I have , Outside in a protected enclosure, 2 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries, that stay Charged with a Solar Panel.. I run everything DC off of this. The batteries are about 13.4 volts when charged, the solar panels are set to keep them at 13.8 volts.. But some equipment does need AC power so I use a DC to AC inverter to generate that power... My Computers and home entertainment are all on UPS systems... All my Boat Anchors are on regular commercal AC power with Surge Protection.. 

Robert
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am thinking about using a 12 vdc battery AGM type 100 amp hr. to run radio with charger. Running radio for a long time in rx and even in rx many hours. A some wave inverter could power computers and routers if wanted. Don’t need a power supply for radio. I have had recommendations to keep radio 12 vdc connections as short as possible to help noise induced to 12 v power input. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    TX many hours. Typo sry. W9JJB
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Where I get my Solar Panels,, very good pricing. Just an FYI  

https://www.solarblvd.com/product-category/solar-panels-systems/12-volt-solar-panels/

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had to get rid of my ups's everytime I transmitted they went into alarm drove me crazier...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    OK correction here - you have to short the pin to ground, not apply 12v - where is my brain, I mixed it up with the SPE amps where they require 12v.

See page 28 of the manual...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.