Power Level Temp Ccmpensation

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
When 2.3.7 was released one of the features was "Power Level Temperature Compensation". After I updated to 2.3.7 I noticed that the 6700 fan occasionally kicked up to high speed when I was in AM mode and I had never had that happen before on AM. So I attributed that to this new feature in 2.3.7. I am now on 2.3.9 and that has not happened again. So I am wondering is that feature or change in 2.3.9??

Thanks and 73's
Harry
W0LS  
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 109 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3074 Posts
  • 675 Reply Likes
since 3.7

Power Level now Temperature Compensated: The efficiency of an RF power amplifier has a temperature dependency; as the temperature increases, efficiency and power output are decreased. SmartSDR 2.3.7 now dynamically compensates for power loss as the PA temperature rises to provide a more stable maximum power output.
Photo of Bill English

Bill English

• 94 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

I have noticed on RTTY in the contests my power does not fall off as much when things heat up as before. It seems to be working here, it is quite noticeable.

Bill K4FX 
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 109 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks Bill....does the fan seem to speed up sooner or more often and are you running 2.3.9? Prior to 2.3.7 I only heard the fan speed up if I was running JT65 and a number of back to back transmissions. I had never heard it do that on AM. When I installed 2.3.7 I noticed it doing it on AM for the first time. Since I put 2.3.9 on it has not gone to high speed when on AM. So that's why I was curious if that feature was still in 2.3.9 or had been pulled or modified.

Harry...W0LS
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3074 Posts
  • 675 Reply Likes
I am not much a digital guy, mostly SSB phone,,my fan has never sped up. But on time I tried FT8 and the fans took off..lol
Photo of Bill English

Bill English

• 94 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
To be honest with the KPA-500 the drive is set so low to run 250-300w out on RTTY, the rig never gets hot enough for the fan to go into high gear. If I run FT8 for a while at 60+w it will come on occasionally, but I really haven't noticed any more fan activity since the update, just that the output doesn't fall of like before.
On SSB/CW I don't ever recall the fans speeding up. Of course I rarely ragchew, mostly DX and contesting.
Compared to what I have read here, my 6300 seems to run a tad cool. The fan does go into overdrive at 60 degrees C, but it takes a lot to get it that warm. I think the guy I bought it from must have cleaned the fans really good before he sold it to me. Most of the time in operation it runs in the mid to upper 40's C, occasionally it will go above 50, but not often.

Bill K4FX
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3492 Reply Likes
Official Response
Looking at the changes for the latest release, we didn't make any changes to the PA temperature compensation for 2.3.9.
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 109 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ok...thanks Tim.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is it possible to add a control to SmartSDR to allow tweaking of the PA temperature compensation value? I run a lot of ft8 and olivia, and the temperature gets up to 65C to 67C before the fan kicks in on my 6300. Also wondering if anyone has come up with a quiet case fan so when it kicks into high there is less noise?
Photo of Roger J. Buffington

Roger J. Buffington

• 148 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Any way to access the rig temperature in Smart SDR software?
(Edited)
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Flexmeter 1.3 is free and works great