Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL Prototype Photo - How much Power Out ?

Michael Aust
Michael Aust Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Power Genius XL Prototype Photo - How much Power Out ?
See Photo image

Answers

• Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    1500+ supposedly 100% duty cycle, all modes.
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Try that and I guarantee you it will wind up and sound like a shop vac....if it survives. 

:)

I predict it shuts down.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    As I recall, it's really 100% ICAS duty cycle, which is not 100% key down forever ... it's 5 mins on then 5 mins off.  http://www.ab4oj.com/quadra/icas.html 

From the Flex Web page ... "The PowerGenius XL is a 100% duty cycle, legal limit (1500W ICAS) ..." 

Now in the old days I had a pair of 813's that ran CCS on AM with a CCS rated power transformer that ran cold to the touch at that power.  

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    why would you predict that? I spun it up to 1500 at orlando and it was pretty quiet 73 W9OY
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I just hope it's chocolate marble on the inside.  :)
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'd guess about 20,000kcal
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I don't know but my guess would be that after about 10-15 minutes key down on CW the fans would be running so fast that the amp would be trying to leave the room and the neighbours would be looking up in the sky trying to figure out where the noise was coming from.

I'm hoping it is quiet.......
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I would bet you're right. Not enough heatsink for that is my guess. Those type of transistors are holding up well in broadcast use and medical and industrial applications. I believe they are good up to five or six hundred mhz.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    They also can withstand a ridiculously high swr.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I'm actually going to guess that your version prototype gets about 1000 calories per slice.  Am I right?   Second question... Did it taste good?   :)
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I wish I could afford a real power genius...   too rich for my blood these days!
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    It's all that chocolate icing on the prototype picture puts out more than 1500 calories per slice for full duty cycle !
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I predict you're wrong! Vapor chamber heatsink plus Ranko is in the broadcast business... continuous duty is his thing. :)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    power output - probably about 1500 calories per slice. (and I don't mean receiver. )

;)
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    https://youtu.be/bSvXvvfM78k. 1500w cw camera next to fan
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I was more worried about the dummy load than the amp
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    And contest ready is just icing on the cake!!!

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    Bad guess ;-)
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    How about we quit guessing.

Show a video of this amp going key down, 1500W out into a dummy load. Just leave it there until it shuts down (or maybe it won't). That would be interesting for all potential purchasers I think.

Also, and just as important, what are the IMD figures at 1500W?

Thanks Tim

N4GA

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    There it is..four little letters. HUGE difference.

:)

Nice dig ****.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.