Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
Does anyone have or been using the Power Genius XL yet?  What is the status on the amp?

I see they are able to put on "reserve" but are they even shipping or have they shipped any yet?

Thanks

Answers

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have been using my PGXL amp for about 3 weeks now.  It works very well and I will never go back to a tube amp again.  Works seamless with my Flex 6700 and also works well with my Icom 7300.  Do you have any specific questions about the amp?
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Nothing specific just getting general feedback on it... looking in the near future about upgrading from my KPA500 / KAT500 combo to something with a little more punch and since I have and have been very pleased with my 6500 thought I'd consider it.

Can you give me some feedback on likes and any dislikes you have experienced with it?

Thanks
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    This is my first solid state amp so I have nothing else to compare it to.  I had always heard that solid state amps don't like high swr and that tube amps are more forgiving.  I have run the amp with an swr of 3 to 1 and the amp was still happy.  It seems to kick out at 3.3 to 1.  I have to manually tune my 160 meter inverted L which I had forgotten to do before using the amp (which is why I had the 3 to 1 swr).  Once I get the tuner genius, this won't be a problem.  I really like how the amp integrates with SSDR and the Maestro.  Once the amp is tuned on, you get a second set of meters in SSDR and the Maestro.  It's like using a 1500 watt radio.  Totally integrated.  I have run over 1000 watts a couple of times on FT8 just to see how the amp handles 100% duty cycle.  The fans will ramp up to keep the amp cool.  Some bands seem to heat up the amp quicker than other bands but I am told that is normal.  I have also used the amp with my backup rig (Icom 7300) and it works, but not as smooth.  I am using the C-IV interface and it does follow the 7300 frequency, however, when I tune the radio the amp temporarily looses the frequency of the Icom and a relay clicks.  Once I have finished with the tuning knob, the frequency is again displayed on the amp and the relay in the amp clicks again.  I might not have some of the C-IV settings correct. It's like the amp can't keep up with the tuning speed.  Not a big deal but I'm sure I probably have sometime not setup correctly.  This doesn't happen with the flex. 

Some people have complained about the fan noise.  The amp has 3 fan settings (normal, contest, and broadcast).  With the normal setting, the fans are either at idle or very slow RPM until you start transmitting.  With the contest mode, the fans run higher when idle.  On broadcast, the fans run full blast.  I don't find the fan noise objectionable, but I am sure some people will.  I am used to my 2 meter full legal limit amp.  It has a large blower to keep the 8877 tube cool and it is very noisy.  I usually use contest fan mode when running FT8 and normal fan mode when using SSB.  I have not used CW with the amp yet.

Most of my operation is remote from my office.  The amp works great remotely and I can monitor the power output, amp swr and temperature using SSDR and the Maesto with the additional meters. 

At this point, I really don't have anything negative or have any dislikes about the amp.  If I have to come up with a negative (and this is purely opinion) is I wish Flex would have designed the amp with a separate power supply.  My Ten Tec Titan has a separate power supply that I put under the desk.   Having the power supply built into the amp makes the physical size of the amp much larger.  It takes up a lot of desk space but wasn't really a big deal.  I plan to eventually get a tray for my rack and install the amp in my rack with my VHF, UHF amps.

The only issue I have had is a few times the amp meters in SSDR and the Maestro quick working.  The front panel of the amp still works and the PGXL ultility software still shows the meters.  I have heard that there is a beta firmware that fixes this issue.  Once the firmware is available, I'll install it.  To correct this issue, I just have to reboot the 6700 and the amp and then the meters work again.  It has only happened to me a couple of times and is no big deal if you are in your shack since you can still see the amp panel meters.  Would only be an issue running remote.

Burch
    K4QXX
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thank you sir.. good feedback
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    If you take the time and ask people that have their PGXL amps now after a long wait, they will tell you the wait was worth it. The PGXL is not your average amp, just look at how it's made and consider the performance. If your already using a Flex radio, nothing can be smoother working together.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    As for delivery status, according to the most current Flex update the PG-XL is currently shipping.  Below is a listing of some Forum Members who have provided input such as; order dates, received dates, as well as some who are still awaiting delivery: 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pgxl-june-2019-updates

I would imagine there are many more PG-XL's that have been delivered, and many more people waiting that are not on this list.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thank you
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have had one for a month or two and it is my 2nd Solid State Amp.  KPA500 was my first and now the PGXL is my 2nd and now only one.   The set up was flawless and it just follows me around the bands without any issues.  Love the amp and considering buying a 2nd one.   Can NOT go wrong!

Richard - N4RWG
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    That's great to hear Richard!  I hope to take delivery of mine this year.
  • Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I wouldn't say these are "currently shipping". I went to place an order for one and got a form to fill out to get on a waiting list. I couldn't even put down a deposit, etc. That doesn't sound like a product that is in regular production.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    They should consider making a lower power version designed specifically for the Flex family of radios.

Not everyone (myself included) wants or needs to run 1500 watts. I only run 300 watts and it works very well.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Which is the reason, when I buy an amp for my 6600, it will be a KPA500 / KAT500. The fact my other radio is a K3 does no harm to that decision. :-)
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Loving my KPA-500 :-)
    If it gets me this far during a **** solar minimum, with a compromise antenna, it will be FAR more than I need in 5 years when we are in a better part of the cycle.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    agreed, it's hard for me to justify the cost since I already have the KTA500 / KPA500 combo
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have an SPE 2K-FA which I rarely push to the limit.  Most of the time this amp is loafing along at 600 to 1000 watts max.  I simply wanted the overhead.

I am seriously watching the PGXL availability and may someday drop the cash to get one.  But that is the big hold up in my opinion.   

I get that it is a new product and there are been a few production runs with corrections as the product has entered the field but it is something now like close to 2 years since the original announcement and you really still cannot get one without a long wait.

I guess in reality there is a wait for SPE amps as well but they seem more available than the PGXL.

I'm not looking for buy today, ship tomorrow but I want to see the PGXL get to the point where the wait is a month or two max.

Glad to hear it is working well!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Keep watching Mark, 403A said that they are in full production now.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    A QRP Version????
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think the enjoyment ROI for an amp drops like a rock past 500 watts.
  • Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    You guys forget that for those of us that contest, 1500 W isn't a "nice to have" for high power class entries. I agree that 1500 W for FT8 (except on the 160 and 6 Meter bands) is excessive, but many of us need/use the full legal limit for CW and SSB.

I'd also rather have an amp capable of 1500 W that I can turn down to 500 W as needed than a 500 W amp that's running at full capacity. I'm a lot less likely to destroy the former than the latter. This is what's left of my SPE 1.3K-FA solid-state amp - it was running about 750 W on 80 M when this occurred with no warning. It's the third time the amp has immolated itself.
    imageSee 
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Same here !!! Would rather throttle down or back off an Amplifier for improved Reliability 73 Mike
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    @Eric - You say 1500 watts for FT8 is excessive except for 160 and 6. I never really understood where that notion of needing high power to work 160 came from.

I completed WAS 160 FT8 with just 100 watts in only 10 days using a small ground mounted vertical. Only need AK for WAS 160 CW and I'm at 45 states on 160 SSB.

I should point out that my 160 activity was done with a small home brew addition to my Hustler ground mounted vertical. I'm no antenna expert by any means. All I did was add 19 feet of horizontal wire at the top of the antenna to form an inverted L .and now I can operate the entire 160 band. I did a little experiment with just 5 watts and had no trouble reaching the West Coast from upstate New York.

Running 300 watts with that same configuration I have 120 countries and 28 zones. I need only 2 more zones for tier 1 WAZ 160.

fyi...my QTH is only about 400 feet ASL. Very modest setup generating tons of fun

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Isn't that special.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Guy's

I have been a Flex user since 2014 owning both the 6500 and 6700.
    While mostly digital Modes and contest I do on occasion use Phone.

Currently running the SPE 1KA that I bought several years ago it will run up to max 500 digital  and 1.2KW on Phone. Seldom is there a need to run these values at my QTH.

I put myself long ago on the PG wait list have never heard a peep.
    Does anyone know whats going on with it?
    I spoke with both Lou and Gerald a few times about it Gerald told me it's noisy when the Fans kick in. Watched a few videos and it sounds like a Turbine winding up so might need to locate it elsewhere.

Bottom line how much longer till we see these units in regular production any idea's?

Ian
    KM4CQG
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I never really understood where that notion of needing to tell people what power level they need to use came from.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ian - As mentioned above 4o3A recently stated the PG-XL amplifier is moving into full production now, although there's no telling what that actually means.  As for orders and deliveries based on this Forum input, I recently updated the below list (scroll down):

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pgxl-june-2019-updates
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Guys appreciate the update info
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

4O3A recently posted a brief amplifier customer survey on their site:

"The path to a good product is not possible without the help of the customers, their comments and advice.  This survey will help us understand what amplifier is required by most radio amateurs.  Your two minutes will help us gain a better understanding of your needs.  Fill in the survey here:"

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5X79HZ9

Thank you!
    4O3A Team

Interestingly, survey questions address desired output power, contesting/non-contesting usage, # antenna ports, weight/ease of carrying, remote control, and graphic display.  There’s no free text input for additional comments though. 

Looks like they're looking beyond the current PG XL.

Howard

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I think so too, The current PG XL is more amp then many of us need. Something smaller, less power would be a nice nitch.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    And with an option of a built-in tuner :-)
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've never found the need to run more than 300 watts using a small vertical. That little power has gotten me 9BDXCC (10 if you count 60), 9BWAS (10 if you count 60), 16 different WAS band/mode combinations, Triple Play, 5BWAZ, SSB WAZ, Mixed WAZ, almost 1800 band points etc.

I even got Navassa Island when it was #1 most wanted on 6 bands busting though the largest pileups I've ever seen. You can do a lot with a little power

If everyone lowered their power a little bit the bands would be so much cleaner and easier to use for the rest of us. Try it. You might be pleasantly surprised

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.