Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL Configuration Question

HCampbell  WB4IVF
HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I completed the setup and configuration of my new PG XL (connected
to my Flex 6500M/Laptop SmartSDR 2.3.7) as described in the user manual.   

- Installed and ran the PG XL Utility

- Updated PG XL firmware to version emailed to me by Flex

- Opened  the PG XL Configuration control/Flexradio Tab  – it showed my 6500M serial #.  Selected ANT1 and LAN PTT Source.

- In SmartSDR, I opened the Radio/Settings/TX tab and set delay to 20ms.

- Everything seemed to run fine, and the remote amplifier status screen shows up on the laptop and shows Temp and other PG XL parameters.  Everything except band data.  It does not follow band/frequency changes for ANT1 in SmartSDR as I tune in receive.  The PG XL screen and the remote screen on the laptop both show “NO BAND DATA”. 

Again, I’m running SmartSDR 2.3.7 on the laptop, not from the 6500M console.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks,

Howard

Answers

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I don't think you missed a step.  Try power cycling the amp while the radio is running.  This will make the amp go through its reboot process.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Dave.  I turned the amp off, removed power cord for 1 minute, then reinserted the cord and turned it on again.  Still no band data.  Voltages and temp are displayed.

Howard
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Do you have the TX button active on a slice??
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited June 2019
    Yup, there is one slice open and the red TX button is enabled.

Both the A and B Channels in the amp display show the following:

PTT  N/A  AB  NO BAND DATA

Howard
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    Hi Howard,

I ran into this myself. 

To pair a PGXL with a FlexRadio, you must do all three of these things in the PGXL Windows App.

Select the S/N of the FlexRadio
    Select an Antenna
    Select a PTT method (LAN)

You will know it is paired correctly when you see band data on the amp and an AMP icon in the SmartSDR.  I've entered a bug against the PGXL Windows App to provide additional feedback on the success or failure of pairing. 

Let me know if that helps. 

Dan, N7HQ
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited June 2019
    Dan -

The PG XL Configuration / Flexradio Tab in the PG XL Window:

Port A Configuration:

Serial No.: 5017-7826-6601-2243

TX Antenna: ANT1

PTT Source: LAN
    But no band data shows on the PG XL display or Windows app.  I should have known the setup process was going too smoothly.  That's never a good sign!  (-:

Thanks,Howard
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited June 2019
    OK, I found the problem.  You were on the right track Dan.  I checked the Flex radio serial # that showed up by default in the PG XL display and PG Windows app against the serial # on the back of the radio.  They were completely different.  When I changed the default to the actual serial # the band data showed.  Wonder where the default (wrong) serial # came from??

Thanks much to all who responded!
    Howard

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I strongly suggest you open a HelpDesk ticket on this serial number issue.  I know from experience that the Flex people will want to know about this.
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    Nice!!  When this happened to me Graham insisted that this was a "newbie" mistake... pointing a finger my direction. I was just absolutely sure I checked all the right boxes but skulked away, my self-confidence in tatters, but newly restored thanks to you. I would not have double checked that the S/N was the "right" one because I only have one radio on my network and I have never seen the S/N except on the invoice. 

Still, it's a bug, a 4o3a bug in fact, but It's a really nice bug to find.  Nice catch Howard!

Dan
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'm guessing that wrong serial number was probably the transceiver being used to test the amp before it shipped to you.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited July 2018

I submitted a ticket of the problem and solution. 

Thanks again,

Howard

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited July 2018

Yea, when I opened the configuration window and saw that the serial # was already there, I first assumed it was detected automatically and therefore must be correct.   Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.  I was beginning to fear I’d have to repack the amp and lug it down to the UPS store! 

Howard

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited July 2018
    Yes, that could well have been how it was entered.  As Reagan once said, trust but verify!  (-:

Howard
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, my amp was returned from upgrades with a different IP and the serial # of the lab test radio. Would be nice if FLEX returned the amp to the original parameter values when the testing was completed.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited July 2018
    Agree.  That should be one of the last steps before returning the amp.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.