Power Genius XL amp at Hamcation 2017 - some pictures and videos

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago

I spent a fair amount of time playing with it (I did a pre-order on Friday online). I also was able to talk to Ranko a bit about the design, especially the fan noise. During Gerald's initial video you could hear the fans ramp up during each tx cycle.

Amp is slightly wider than the radio and deeper. Looks nice.

Here is a link to a few pictures
https://www.flickr.com/gp/57741357@N03/FooDn1

I did a couple of videos showing the amp in operation. I was concerned with the fan noise after hearing Gerald's original video. Ranko made improvements to the amp to reduce noise. The internal power supply was upgraded to 3.5 kW and includes two cooling fans dedicated to the PSU. The heatsink for the RF deck is very goo with two fans cooling the heatsink and one fan cooling the RF components.
Unfortunately it was very noisy in the building. The fan noise did not exceed the ambient noise under normal operation, even when 6 inches from the amp.
Here's two videos which were done by sending series of dashes at 1800 watts out.
https://youtu.be/ifVyvjw4oLM
https://youtu.be/MV5agnjCQjo

Power line voltage at the amp was 209 VAC and dropped to 204 VAC during 1800 watts out. The amp had no problem putting out 2200 watts into a load but I wouldn't recommend it :-)

There are two RF in, Two RF out, two keying inputs, two -60 dBc sample ports, two CI-V ports, two CAT ports, and Ethernet.

Amp is set for SO2R out of the box.

It will have control integration with SmartSDR or you can use an Android app or PC app. They did not have the PC app on display.

Dave wo2x

Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1059 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 731 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Thanks Dave,  appreciate the info.  ordered mine on the 8th.     The 225V here should help it run cooler :)   What was the drive required?  I saw 27 watts in the original video for 1.5K out but wondered if that amp had the "swamping" in place to limit it to 15db gain.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2246 Posts
  • 871 Reply Likes
I am curious as well if they'll be offering a "euro" version without the FCC mandated baggage. I like the fact that I can generate 1kw with less than 10 watts, keeps my exciter cool. 

• 1059 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
I neglected to notice drive level. I was concentrating on improvements to the fan noise.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9032 Posts
  • 3431 Reply Likes
100W = 1500W
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 731 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Not being there, I cant be sure, but it sounded like it was definitely quieter than the SPE2K I had.  The remote interfacing and control capabilities are what I am really interested in.   I see the PTT line was connected.  I guess the ptt feature through the 6700 via the ethernet port is not in programming yet.

Regards
Larry  K1UO

• 1059 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Correct on PTT. They will be adding it to control PTT over Ethernet.
Photo of Ranko

Ranko

• 9 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi to all,

PTT over LAN is added.
EU version will be with 10W of drive.

Ranko