Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power genius tuner configuration

Mark Erbaugh
Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Tuner Genius XL
Will the PG Tuner have an antenna switch? If so, how many antennas? If I operate SO2R with the PG, will I need two tuners?

Answers

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The tuner can switch between two antennas but has only one output to the amplifier/radio.   So, as it comes it will only handle antennas for one output of the PGXL amplifier.  Of course you can add an antenna switch to allow you to select additional antennas into the tuner. 
    As for SO2R, the answer is probably yes you will need two tuners, but it really depends on your particular antenna configuration/swr on the bands you plan to operate at the same time.   
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Can the tuner antenna selection be controlled in SmartSDR?
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    This is conjecture on my part based on things I have read elsewhere but I believe the tuner is controlled by the amplifier.   So, you would tell the amp what antenna to use on the tuner for a given band.   The radio I think will only display power output from the amp and amp status in the initial version 2 release of SmartSDR.   That being said in the future I would think we would see much greater integration between SmartSDR and the Genius product line.   
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Mark, The tuner genius is in early development now. Things are always subject to change. So the answer is "maybe" or "planned for the future." With that said, Ranko is very much invested and committed to have seamless, full integration with the Flex signature series platform and SmartSDR. So do expect tuner genius to work directly with SmartSDR in the future. The question is when, and only he can answer that. But it won't be too long it seems. Ria
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    As Ria indicated, the TunerGenius S is currently under development and specific product features and capabilities are still being defined by the product management team.  Once we have these issues finalized, an official product announcement will be forthcoming.  Until then, we will not be able to answer product specific questions such as these.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2020
    I can say that by definition SO2R requires 2 separate antennas, so two tuners will be necessary to minimize switching latency.
  • Mark Erbaugh
    Mark Erbaugh Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Does the promotion of a tuner genius with the power genius only include one tuner?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    Yes, just one.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I notice there is not a ground terminal on the amp,,did I miss it?
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    How many switched antenna inputs/outputs are planed for TG. This is important to my decision to buy the amp.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭

Perhaps slightly off topic. Does the Tuner have a rack mount option, I see the Amplifier has a rack mount shelf and my 6600 is rack mounted already.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You can get another shelf for you rack. There is no rack mount kit for the tuner.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.