Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

posting maestro batteries

GI4FZD
GI4FZD Member
edited May 2020 in Maestro
I recently got a Maestro with battery from uk supplier. The battery refuses to power the maestro after full charge, I have others that work ok that I can attach to extension usb cable as they are too big to fit in compartment. Here is my problem..The supplier asked me to send the battery back but the post office here in Northern Ireland will not accept the battery as it is a restricted item, so how do I get a replacement for my Maestro as lipo batteries can no longer be posted from mainland uk to me in Northern Ireland or from anywhere else in the world as far as I can see...main online suppliers and auction sites also refuse to send lipo batteries to Northern Ireland as the post arrives here by air. I am sure others in remote locations are going to have that problem too. I think if I send the battery back with the Maestro that would be ok, but the shipping would be more than the cost of the battery and I would not have  my Maestro for a week or so..
Anyone got a way around this (legally)?
Cheers
Paul

Answers

• KD7CAO
    KD7CAO Member
    edited June 2017
    Any carrier that can handle hazardous material has licenses to ship. Here in the USA United Parcel Service (UPS) will not ship, whereas Federal Express or most commonly known as FedEx can. There is typically an up charge for the handling of a HazMat item similar to explosive items such as reloading supplies, fireworks, and even radiological items. FedEx is a wold wide shiper so should be able to help you.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will try fedex but I expect the cost will be at least half the price of the battery.
    Cheers
    Paul
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    FedEx will not ship batteries internationally. I use BongoUS as my US freight forwarder (now part of FedEx) and the LIPO batteries I wanted them to ship for the Maestro are prohibited from being shipped across a border. Why they are safe to ship in the US but suddenly become hazardous once they cross the 49th is beyond me. Bongo will also not ship domestically in the US (so no having them delivered to a friend) and they want to charge $21 for a return to Amazon (normally free).

Tim VE6SH
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Paul. I expect that Amazon will deliver to NI? I bought two of the Polanfo battery packs from them which seem to work well. At only £15.99 each (with free Prime delivery) I would say don't bother about sending the other battery back and just get one (or more) of these! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polanfo-12000mAh-Portable-External-Battery-silver/dp/B01C45AILY?ie=UTF8&...

73 Phil
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Paul, I am one of those people who are sometimes a bit forgetful and have posted such batteries but mistakenly described them as something totally different when asked by the postmistress what is in my parcel! David G4NRT
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/898/~/restricted-goods---uk

Rules state that Batteries can only accompany a device they can power.

I'd package the faulty battery with an old cellphone that isn't in use, and ask the UK Supplier "to replace the unit's bad battery pack and ship the phone with the new battery back."

Comply with all the packaging uses and labeling of course.

BUT first I would ask the provider if they really want the bad battery back?

You then could send them a cellphone or other "traveling companion device" to accompany the replacement to you.

A bit more liberal the Royal Post for restrictions, perhaps consider "Collect Plus"  https://www.collectplus.co.uk/ which I had been told about, but have not personally used.  They appear to have NO battery restrictions BTW.

Good luck and 73

Steve
    K9ZW
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    No Phil, I already tried for the same battery on Amazon, they won't send to NI
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Yep, I might give them a try, thanks for all the good suggestions
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I looked at shipping these power packs before and believe the verbiage was "a lithium battery could be shipped if it was shipped within the device it is intended to be used". The power pak meets that definition. This is same as a iPad of any smartphone. I would not call it a battery, it's not,  a battery is a that thing inside, but in instead a USB power pack.

If they ship smartphones / tablets / notebooks I'd want to know why these USB power packs are treated differently.

This is from a US perspective.

Good Luck!

Tim

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    That's exactly what I would do Tim and that is how my three Mogix batteries got here from California using USPS! David G4NRT
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    Here is the DHL definition, notice the word powerbank is mentioned.
    http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/express/shipping/shipping_advice/lithium_batteries.html
    Lithium Batteries are packed and shipped as individual items (loose/bulk).  Example: Loose Batteries/Power bank

Anyhow I have now got sorted thanks to a kind offer from a fellow Amateur,
    Thanks for all the replies, I can see this as being a major problem for anyone using lithium batteries or trying to get a replacement.

Cheers
    Paul
    gi4fzd

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.