Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Port forwarding via a VERIZON Router

David-N5PSM
David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Has anyone had success accessing their radio via A Verizon "HotSpot" Router?    I am trying to get my radio (6700 with V2 registered) available using my Verizon Router I have the DMZ set for the LAN IP of my radio.
1. I can see the radio via smart link but the "test" shows failure in all tests (all port tests fail)
2. The radio works fine from the local LAN
3. Turning off my firewall does not help.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Have you registered your client (computer, iPad, etc.) with Smartlink?

Jim, K6QE

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I don't know your router, but let me make a suggestion: Some routers either do selected port forwarding or support a device in the DMZ, but not both at the same time, it's either or - any individual ports forwarded for other devices in house? Does the router 'protect' DMZ? My AT&T router offers some level of protection on devices in static IP range, yours may have similar protections on DMZ hosts - you'll want to turn them off. Your windows firewall doesn't figure into this - the internet is trying to reach your radio, and your router is what is in the way, not your PC.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Did you say wireless? I tried ATT 4G wireless. They do not permit port forwarding and claim no wireless vendor does.

I need to test a solution using a VPN to a remote host on a different network and see if I can't port forward through that. When I have the time I'll be trying with DigitalOcean. A company called VPNStaticIP claims they can do the same thing.

Good luck David and if you find a solution please post it. It was a setback when I learned about the wireless support limitation from the carrier.

Kev K4VD
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    YES
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I will look more closely and see what tests I can Make.  Tnx
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    That does not sound good.  I will keep trying thou.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have used it on my Verizon Wireless Netgear JetPack with all settings as default, I do have my home router port forwarding to the radio which uses a Static address if that makes any difference, I don't know. 

I have also used my Samsung 7E set up for "HOT SPOT" mode and it also work very well, not quite as good as the JetPack but a close second. 

I have ran this with the Maestro, IPAD and my Laptop all with good results. 

Make sure you have registered your radio and clients for SmartLink as Jim stated above. 

73's 
    Bret
    WX7Y

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am trying to use the radio on a JetPack Router.  The client end is no problem.
  • K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Have you tried the "manual" rather than the "auto" and put the TCP and UDP port forwarding in the Router?
  • Ernie Rader
    Ernie Rader Member
    edited August 2017
    Just upgraded to Version 2 on my Flex 6500, and the radio works fine and SmartLink is configured and registered.  However, when I go into network settings, Murphy raises his ugly head.  I’m using a Verizon JetPack for Internet access.  It’s a MiFi® 7730L.  I’m able to go down deep into the settings of the router, and configure UDP and TCP ports, but when testing the configuration in SmartSDR, the test fails miserably.  I’m forwarding external TCP port 31000 to internal port 4994, and external UDP port 31000 to internal UDP port 4993.  I’ve tried the “automatic” configurations, but that doesn’t work either.  Am I using the correct port settings, and is there something else that I’m not remembering?  Thanks for any help you can give me.  Ernie, W5NH.

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    31000 TO 4994 AND 31000 TO 4993, anybody else see this?? I am assuming this was a typo?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Is the WAN interface a public or private IP address?  If it is the latter, then you have a situation where a double NAT is occurring and unless you can configure the upstream router that is doing the initial NAT from public to private IP addressing to set up cascading port forwards, your network access isn't going to work with SmartLink.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    I recommend using different outside port numbers even though they are different port types (UDP and TCP)
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I will try getting the Flex to use the same ip as the router that would take away one layer of the NAT.  I am currently traveling so it won't be tested before the 14th....  Thanks tim for the insight.
  • K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Jim, K6MBY here.  I don't recall where I saw the 31000 number recommendation but I used the combination as did Ernie, W5NH,  and it works fine for me.  The Verizon MiFi router does not support Upnp so manual port forwarding is a must.  Ernie did the port forwarding but the port test fails both UDP and TCP test.
  • K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Verizon engineering also confirms they provide a private address.  They had to NAT in order to have enough IP addresses to hand out to customers.  They also indicated that all major carriers provide private addresses in lieu of public.  Because the Jetpack router also translates (NAT) there is a situation of double NAT.  Once at Verizon and once at the Jetpack router.   Flex indicates that remote control as offered in V2 will not work with a double NAT situation.   A Jetpack MIFI router does not appear to be a workable solution for remote control of the Flex 6xxx radios.

Bob K6MBY
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    OK this is my situation: Flex6700 with Cradlepoint MBR1200B router. On the router I have a Sprint aircard USB port connected. All port forwarding works fine, and I’m able to use smartLink just fine on my iPad or iPhone when I’m remote. Here is where I need help: I acquired a Verizon Jetpack, and am using a small notebook to bridge the Jetpack wireless with notebook’s network, then connecting the notebook to my router WAN port with a cable. This works just fine as I am able to then use the router for internet access and wifi in and around the house, including remoting the 6700 to my iPad or iPhone on the LAN. But I can not get smartLink to work with this arrangement. I then went into the Jetpack and port forwarded the two required ports to the router IP address, which is of the 192.168.1.**** type. This does not work. Would some of you experts out there give me some help with this?
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If I read this right, you are 'double-NATing" the radio. You have the jet pack doing NAT (network address translation) and then your home router also performing NAT to the radio. Double NAT is typically difficult, if not impossible to make work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.