Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Port Forwarding Service Name?

K4SC
K4SC Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

I am attempting to setup port forwarding for SmartLink using my 6500 and a Netgear WNDRMACv2 Wireless Router.

I have the detailed instructions on how to do this with one exception which is the "Service Name".  The routers control panel wishes to know whether I want FTP or HTTP or ICUII or IP_Phone or NetMeeting or News or PPTP or QuakeII/III (unlikely) or Real-Audio or last but not least Telnet.

I have not seen any description of the type protocol required by SmartLink.  Anyone? Buehler? Buehler???

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The name is not important, as that is for us human's to read.  However, you should be able to make up a custom name.

Based on your screen shot, it doesn't seem like you are able to do that.  Time for a new router or tune on UPNP.

Mike 
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You don't need to select any of those. They are used to preconfigure the router for those services. Set up the ports per your instructions and you'll be on the air remotely in no time. Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    In the current Netgear WNDRMACv2 Wireless Router manual I found on the Netgear support website, the instructions for Adding a Custom Service, begins @ page 83. The service name is up to you, the protocol choice will be TCP/UDP Forward ports 4994, and 4993. Port Forwarding is what you're after, not Port Triggering.

73 Jay / NO5J
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    These are different programs and the service names your referring to just add the default ports to the router like a script for those programs. 
    You just need to add the new ports MANUALLY to the router for SmartSDR on ports 4993 (UDP) and 4994 (TCP).

UDP and TCP are the type of port 

googling your router I found this link

https://kb.netgear.com/24048/How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-on-my-DG834-DG834G-DG824M-FR114W-FM1...

it tells you how to manually do it see  "Add Custom Services"  at the bottom.

hope this helps

Bret
    WX7Y

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Mack is correct. These are just common services and they put them there for convenience. You even see them in commercial firewalls and routers.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    It isn't a simple forward of 4994 and 4993, it is also port mapping from a different external port to those internal ports.
    TCP/21000 to 4994 (internal)
    UDP/22000 to 4993 (Internal)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Danny

Why the choice of the external ports TCP/21000 and UDP/22000?
    I must have missed something in the documentation. If that's the case I still prefer to know the correct information. 

73 Jay / NO5J
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Look under manual setup for SmartLink, that's the ports it usually asks you to forward. 

Ria
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ria

Ok I've looked again, possibly at the wrong documentation. I looked in the current SmartSDR User Guide, and the SmartLink Quick Start guide. And still failed to spot any instructions to Port Forward External TCP/21000 and UDP/22000 in the router.

But I'd rather be right, and on the same page as everyone else. 

Can you post URLs for the Doc your getting those port recommendations from, along with a page number hint.

73 Jay / NO5J 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I really didn't look at the documentation.  I just looked at what the software told me. image
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I also don't see this in the documentation (the exact port numbers) but this is because they mostly covered the automatic method which should work for most people. I also believe they didn't mention specific port numbers on purpose because SmartLink will tell you.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ria

Ok thanks, my old brain, is scheduled to start failing someday soon.

My understanding of NAT port forwarding isn't very specific. I thought it might be time to work on that.

So I guess my 1:1 port forwarding/translation choice will continue to work. When I set up Smartlink the first time the defaulted port assignment, that I had to edit, came up as Port -1. I just assumed a negative port had to be more of a "change me" default.

I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme router as the gateway router for my home network. It doesn't support UPnP so I had to setup a custom port forward to make it work with SmartLink. the 1:1 pairing worked initially, so I forgot about it.

When things seem to be working I usually try to leave them alone.

73 Jay / NO5J
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Yeah that's really weird that it works that way. I suspect bug rather than feature.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    A search in the community turned up ...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/v2-0-port-forwarding?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=18874100#reply_18874100  

Which didn't describe it as a bug, but more as a choice.
    Which is why I was asking why. image 

73 Jay / NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.