Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Please switch to a bnc cable for 10MHz in

Amlan - AI6XN
Amlan - AI6XN Member
edited January 2020 in New Ideas
An humble suggestion. Please start using a bnc female instead of rca for the 10MHz in. Every GPSDO worth mentioning uses a BNC. Let’s try to make users life easier when they have a lot of uncertainties and switching between radio platforms like ICOM to Flex or Yaesu to Flex.
3 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The humble RCA jack:  it brings back memories of the Collins S-Line -- and Heathkit.

Yes, I wish we could have better connectors.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    In the mean time, we have rca to bnc adapters of varying quality, all of which fall out if tugged on unless fastened down :-(
  • Amlan - AI6XN
    Amlan - AI6XN Member
    edited December 2019
    :) yes we do indeed, it’s just yet another thing for being different. Nothing spectacularly wrong with it. But hey it’s my wish!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The is likely a good idea, I am sure Gerald thought that through and decided for his reasons. That would be a change in the next model of radios? When ever?
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    BNC adapter + RCA jack is good way to broke the RCA   
    may mutch stiffer to use BNC on chassis  but increase price to 5$ ?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'd sure pay the extra $5!
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I found a SMA to BNC Female that screws directly on the SMA Connector from Amazon.  For all intents it changes the game to BNC on my 6700
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    10 pieces for $6?

Adapters have their place, but you're inserting new possible points of failure -- especially when they're unbelievably cheap.

73 Martin AA6E
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I suppose failure is possible as with anything, but I don't think it is much an issue either.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would venture to guess that the reality of this is cost of assembly.  when you transition from something that can be automated and mounted on a PCB, vs a piece that needs to be bulkhaead mounted to the radio chassis, the overall cost to the production run goes up significantly because it requires human hands on.  Again my opinion, but somewhat educated as after working with this team for a number of years I know Gerald and team worked hard to strike a value vs performance level on these new transceivers, and there are tradeoffs when that occurs, like using a different type of connector, but in the end we all win as the overall cost of production is reduced, and we get more radio **** for the buck.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Never had one fail in 50 years of hamming.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I kind of like RCA connectors.  They are so easy to work with.
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I would also gladly pay to have BNC instead of RCA. Things come loose to easily especially if you are like me and use lots of ferrites.
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I agree. Good enough for Collins and the Military. Good enough for me.
  • Frank  WA3NHK
    Frank WA3NHK Member
    edited December 2018
    But they're 75 freaking years old !!!  (And intended for audio.)  If the "well it's cheaper" logic is valid then the XVTR and RX ANT interconnects should have been phono as well.  In my 40 years as a EE this is the first time I've seen phono used for a 10 MHz reference.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.